DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Just picked up a Razr M - It's... very nice.

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveIrv View Post
    I was a little "worried" about losing our unlimited data too. The with some checking I found the wife and I together were averaging about .09GB of data each month. I'm retired, my phones are mostly on wifi.....she's still working but found streaming music, etc. While she worked left her with a dead battery by lunch time...so....

What we had even more in mind was that our old calling plan had us sharing 700 minutes a month and a couple weeks ago we FINALLY had our land line at home yanked out (saved us $50 a month). So....the unlimited talk on the new plan was more valuable to us that unlimited data.

I still plugged us into a 4GB a month plan though. If we go on vacation and need more to tether a netbook or a tablet....I can always call in and have it bumped up for a month. And now...no more $20 a month fee for tethering.

The new share everything plan (with my discounts for being on an old government contract, even though I'm retired) is about $.75 a month cheaper than the family plan we were on.
    Awesome that it works for you. I really wish tiered data would save me money but it won't. My line averages over the Gigs per month and my second line that my daughter gas had for the weeks has already hit over 2 watching Netflix and YouTube videos... So I'm screwed and cannot upgrade my two unlimited lines without getting at least 4gb. Thanks Verizon you jerks.

It's nice to know not everyone is getting screwed though

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4 | Commando 4G
    I was told by Verizon that if you use an alternate upgrade. Say from a second of 2 family lines then you CAN keep unlimited data. If you use your OWN upgrade or have a single line you would have to change to share everything or tiered data. That's what I'm gonna try.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Bionic... out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!
    (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted - VRUAMI1 (STOCK) | (Verizon) Casio (GzOne) Commando 4G - Rooted - C811M020 (STOCK)
  3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the feedback jnt. Sounds like this is essentially a little bit zippier Razr with a new UI and smaller form factor. Should be a good upgrade for those wanting a little bigger screen but smaller footprint.
    jntdroid likes this.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    Thanks for the feedback jnt. Sounds like this is essentially a little bit zippier Razr with a new UI and smaller form factor. Should be a good upgrade for those wanting a little bigger screen but smaller footprint.
    That pretty much nails it on the head. Though I will say the more I used it, the more I think the Razr/Maxx camera might actually be a little better, or at least more consistent.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by xmguy View Post
    I was told by Verizon that if you use an alternate upgrade. Say from a second of 2 family lines then you CAN keep unlimited data. If you use your OWN upgrade or have a single line you would have to change to share everything or tiered data. That's what I'm gonna try.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Bionic... out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!
    Hmmm....I've been told that Verizon doesn't mind letting you keep your unlimited data plan, if you don't mind paying full retail rice for new phones.

I asked about keeping my unlimited plan and Verizon told me, no problem...the new Razr M you want will only cost you $549 (only $1098 for the two phones I was ordering). I decided to pay $149 for TWO Razr M's and to update my plan to one of the share everything plans with a data cap.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Root Access - I'm tempted to try one of the current moto root methods (like Motofail) to root it, but don't want to screw anything up either... feel free to add any advice if you have it!
    A little bit of disheartening news...

From cellzealot over at XDA: "A word to the wise for those want to root and mod this phone and future Motorola devices.All of the Motorolas since the Droid 3 have been rooted by one person, djrbliss and he has stated that he will not be doing this any longer.

If you want to be certain of the ability to root and modify your phone and flash custom software, you should purchase the developer edition." (see here)

mattlgroff expressed a similar sentiment in that forum...

Not that nobody else could figure it out, but for what it's worth.

I'm not big into romming, but do like my root access.

Guidelines of Conduct
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Fed-Ex just delivered mine........charging the batteries.....
    jntdroid likes this.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Charged batteries to 100% on both phones. Went through the activation process on mine (wife's had to wait until she got home from work). Failed several times until I realized that my old "Family Share" plan was not "compatible" with the new phone. I had an order in to change over to the "Share Everything" plan...but wasn't to take effect until the 29th. Had to call V* and get the date moved up. THEN the phone activated.

Very tedious moving my contact list from the D2G to the new phone. I'd been using Backup Assistant forever, but somewhere along the line THEY changed it to Backup Assistant Plus, with a different format. Eventually got that handled. This thing didn't automagically install my apps when I config'd it like my Samsung GT2 7.0 did.....so had to download/install about 115 apps. Went to the market on the web and just clicked to send them to the phone.

Wife's phone was tougher......even though I'd seen it hit 100% charge earlier in the day, and I'd left in on the charger. By the time I tried to do anything with it....wouldn't even turn on at all. Had to do a soft reset of the phone holding down the power button and the volume down button at the same time until the phone started up.

Then it failed to activate also...spent some time on the phone with V*. Her phone wasn't in their system at all even though they'd been shipped together on the same order.

Then...going through the moving contacts list procedure...it failed completely. Indicated that 0 out of 90 contacts got moved. I fired up her old phone, saved the contact list as a VCF file on a spare mSD card, copied the file to the new phone, imported the VCF file into her contact list....good as new. Then started downloading/installing all of her apps, etc.

All of our "old" chargers and car chargers work with this phone.....but not cases and docks. V* has a fancy new generic dock for $39. I found the same item on Amazon. The $39 dock includes a charging cable (which I don't need), they sell the dock without the cable for $27 (bought one). I'd complained to Amazon last week about their new app market app killing my battery so they'd issued me a $10 credit on my next purchase.....the new dock cost me $17.

Stopped at my local Verizon store last night on the way home from dinner. They had cases, etc. for the Razr M, but not out on display yet. I bought a holster/case for mine, a silcone sleeve thing for my wife's. Even with the 25% discount I get on my account...it was $40 ("saved" $12.50 though).

The thing that caused me the most "trouble" in the process.....not knowing that the new Apple phone got released the same day I was trying to activate my phones....so I ended up spending a fair bit of time on hold when I did need to talk to a rep about something. Not their fault.....doesn't happen every day.

I read in some reviews that the screen "sucked" a little...I think it looks great. The phone is FAST (coming from a D2G). Took a bit getting used to that my home screen wasn't in the middle of several screens, but the phone flicks through the screens so fast it's no biggie. With all the time I spent on mine downloading/installing apps and everything else...the battery seemed to last FOREVER. Don't have any real numbers to post, but man.....
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Coming from a D2G, there should be a LOT about this phone that's great. I'll be curious of your thoughts on the camera, especially in low light scenarios.

Guidelines of Conduct
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    mrcraigcohen
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    For anyone interested in battery life here is a screenshot of my usage for the day. Not rooted.

Screen on time is around 3 hours 45 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just picked up a Razr M - It's... very nice.-screenshot_2012-09-15-23-00-08.png  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links