This step by step repair guide will demonstrate how to tear down the Motorola Droid RAZR HD in order to replace a cracked or damaged screen. More often than not after a drop or fall your Motorola Droid RAZR HD may have a cracked glass touch screen or even a broken LCD display. This screen replacement guide will allow you to dis-assemble your device in order to install a brand new screen to get your Droid RAZR HD looking and working like new again in just a few short steps.
This tear down repair guide will allow you to install the following Droid RAZR HD parts:
Motorola Droid RAZR HD LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
In order to perform this repair you will also need these repair tools:
- Torx T3 Screwdriver
- Torx T5 Screwdriver
- Adhesive Strips
- Safe Open Pry Tool
- Heat Gun & Blow Dryer
All other Parts and Accessories for the Motorola Droid RAZR HD can be found at RepairsUniverse.com
How to Fix a Motorola Droid RAZR HD:
- First make sure your device is completely powered off before you begin your repair.
- Next remove the sim card tray using a paper clip and remove the sim card and micro SD card.
- Now take you Torx T5 screwdriver and remove the two screws located at the bottom of the device. See figure below.
- You will now be able to slide the screen assembly up and and it should pop out of the inner frame.
- Keep in mind there are two (2) jaw bone connections still connected to the motherboard. You will need to use your pry tool and release these connections.
See Figure Below for Reference:
- Next you will need to take your Torx T3 screwdriver and remove the two screws circled in the figure below.
- This will allow you to take your pry tool and remove the silver shield covering the ear speaker and front camera assembly.
- Now take your pry tool and peel up the ear speaker and front camera assembly. This is held down with some adhesive to the metal housing.
- Then you will need to peel up the LCD/Digitizer flex assembly from the back of the metal housing.
See Figure Below for Reference
- Now you will need to take your heat gun or blow dryer to heat up the back and front of the screen assembly.
- On a medium setting hover your heat source roughly 3-4 inches away from the screen assembly and apply heat in 30-45 second intervals.
- You may have to re-apply heat to stubborn areas during the removal process.
- After the adhesive has been properly warmed and is now loosened, take your plastic pry tool and insert it between the screen and the housing.
- Pry along all sides of the frame to separate the LCD & touch screen assembly from the mid-frame.
- Once enough of the adhesive has been loosened you will be able to remove the screen assembly entirely from the mid-frame.
- Be sure to slide the flex cable through the slot in the housing.
See Figure Below for Reference:
Before re-assembly you will want to cut and apply fresh adhesive to the mid-frame to be able to secure your new Droid Razr HD screen replacement.
Once the fresh adhesive has been applied you will be able to apply your new screen assembly to the mid-frame. Be sure to insert the flex cable through the slot in the housing prior to applying it to the new adhesive.
Reverse the steps above to be able to re-assemble your device.
NOTE: This repair guide is for informational and instructional purposes only. Perform this repair at your own risk.