DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Snapdragon battery guru

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR

Snapdragon battery guru

Has anyone tried this app? And does it really work?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

Snapdragon is for the Qualcom processor.

I have had the Battery Guru since it was in Beta on my S3. I turned off the WiFi management since I am home most of the time. It works fine, but look in the App store to find out if it is compatible with your phone. My old Droid X does not have a Snapdragon processor and can't use it.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by rudywilliams View Post
    I have had the Battery Guru since it was in Beta on my S3. I turned off the WiFi management since I am home most of the time. It works fine, but look in the App store to find out if it is compatible with your phone. My old Droid X does not have a Snapdragon processor and can't use it.
    But dies it actually save battery?
  5. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hayn View Post
    But dies it actually save battery?
    I'm always skeptical about these "battery saving apps" and how much battery they really save. You have to remember that the app itself has to run in the background to function properly and to send the right signals when to turn "this off" or "that on", and so on.

It is from my experience that I don't think these types of apps work. I've tried many and most notably Tasker and JuiceDefender, where I got less than impressive results from either. Maybe they do save battery, but it's at such a minimal loss that I barely noticed after running each app for 2 weeks.

To me there is really only one way to save battery, well 2; manually turn everything off yourself or use manufacturers' battery saver (such as on my s4). Manually turning things off means they're off and nothing else is monitoring them causing battery drain, even if it is just "sipping" the battery. Manufacturer battery savers, such as Power Mode on the s4, block off the top speeds of the processor (basically underclocking), change screen settings (white background turns to blue in browser), and I believe the last one is haptic feedback which gets turned off. These 3 things seem like minimal changes, but they play a huge factor in preserving battery life.

As for my personal habits, when I go to sleep I turn off wifi, data, auto anything, and more recently all the s4 features to conserve. I've noticed anywhere from 8%-15% battery life saved overnight vs when I leave them on. For myself, that's a significant difference and it's easy to do, for others it would be cumbersome. The only reason I don't completely turn off my phone is because I like to leave it on just in case of emergencies.

These battery saving apps for me, didn't show the results I expected, and maybe that's because I'm not as heavy of a user as I thought I was compared to others. I've heard great results from others among this board, but from my personal experience and for my use, they were ineffective and mostly interfered especially if I was using my phone late at night when things are supposed to be off. Try it out, it may work for you, if not, then I hope my tips helped.

Just my .02
    Last edited by dezymond; 07-07-2013 at 10:48 AM.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    I'm always skeptical about these "battery saving apps" and how much battery they really save. You have to remember that the app itself has to run in the background to function properly and to send the right signals when to turn "this off" or "that on", and so on.

It is from my experience that I don't think these types of apps work. I've tried many and most notably Tasker and JuiceDefender, where I got less than impressive results from either. Maybe they do save battery, but it's at such a minimal loss that I barely noticed after running each app for 2 weeks.

To me there is really only one way to save battery, well 2; manually turn everything off yourself or use manufacturers' battery saver (such as on my s4). Manually turning things off means they're off and nothing else is monitoring them causing battery drain, even if it is just "sipping" the battery. Manufacturer battery savers, such as Power Mode on the s4, block off the top speeds of the processor (basically underclocking), change screen settings (white background turns to blue in browser), and I believe the last one is haptic feedback which gets turned off. These 3 things seem like minimal changes, but they play a huge factor in preserving battery life.

As for my personal habits, when I go to sleep I turn off wifi, data, auto anything, and more recently all the s4 features to conserve. I've noticed anywhere from 8%-15% battery life saved overnight vs when I leave them on. For myself, that's a significant difference and it's easy to do, for others it would be cumbersome. The only reason I don't completely turn off my phone is because I like to leave it on just in case of emergencies.

These battery saving apps for me, didn't show the results I expected, and maybe that's because I'm not as heavy of a user as I thought I was compared to others. I've heard great results from others among this board, but from my personal experience and for my use, they were ineffective and mostly interfered especially if I was using my phone late at night when things are supposed to be off. Try it out, it may work for you, if not, then I hope my tips helped.

Just my .02
    Thanks for the tips
  7. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Here's an app that I think would help better if you are rooted. Check out "Greenify" if you are, it's a very interesting app and in theory should preserve more battery life.
    bweN diorD likes this.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Yes. On a normal day I use Pandora a little over an hour wirh BluTooth. Unless I do a lot of internet stuff or Navagation w/o charger I get about 35% left at night. I have a backup battery, but haven't had to use it. (;

Before I often had to put the phone on the charger. Now, I seldom do.
    Last edited by rudywilliams; 07-07-2013 at 11:21 AM.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII (i747) & S4 i337
    Premium Member
    I have Battery Guru installed and personally think it's probably extending my battery by at least 20%. You have a lot of control over it and it does a great job of learning how you use the phone to determine the best settings. But as has been mentioned, there are other ways I have also used to save battery. The short of it is that my phone doesn't do much of anything unless I ask it to.
    Last edited by leeshor; 07-07-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    dezymond likes this.
    Currently using a Galaxy SGS3, SGS4 and LG Optimus G Pro also an ASUS TF700
    Printing and file transfer tips.
    WiFi issue tips.
    Adobe Flash Player .81 (Direct Download for 4.x)
    Guidelines of conduct for the forum
  10. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Just for the heck of it, I installed BatteryGuru since it seems to work a little bit differently than other battery saving apps I've tried. I figure it doesn't interfere nearly as much expect for the wifi scanning (which I have yet to encounter as it's in learning mode for the next 72hrs), but it seems less intrusive than others.

I'm also running Greenify and hopefully I don't see any conflict between the two. I'll report back in the next few days if I decide to stick with the app. I'm also determined to let it run for at least 2 weeks like I did with the other apps.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr HD
    I've had BatteryGuru for a little over a month. And I couldn't tell a difference. But everyone uses their phone differently.
    Motorola Droid RAZR HD
    Android 4.1.2
    "Droid is fast, Like a race horse duct taped to a scud missile fast!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links