DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Is there a Reason Why People Don't ROOT or more?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr HD XT925
    To me having a phone that is not rooted is like using my own PC without administrator rights. I find root necessary because I need to control my device the way I like. There are many essential apps that require root so..
    Good luck!!!
    Rooted Motorola Razr HD XT925
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD (Rooted 4.1.1)
    I think many people have warranty concerns, since rooting can void the warranty.

And it can seem way more technical than most people want to get. Especially if you have to downgrade your Android version because the root exploit doesn't work on your current version (i.e. Razr HD on Jelly Bean). When people on the forums say, "all you have to do is downgrade your OS version" it doesn't seem like a very good option. Plus some may worry about "bricking" their phone since they don't know what they're doing.

And ultimately some may not see any need to root. They don't want root apps, to mess around with system files, install custom ROMs, or any of that.

Personally I didn't root for a couple of years after buying my first smartphone. But I knew the option was there and it sounded interesting. And it seemed that it was the number one suggestion by all savvy Android users back in the day. But now Android is better, has better features, and runs smoother, so rooting has become less of a "necessity" and more of a hobby for Android users.

But after rooting a Droid Eris I found it to be much easier than I was anticipating. Now I've rooted a few phones and enjoy doing it. And with exploit scripts already in place for certain models rooting is almost as easy as plugging it in and clicking "go" on a desktop computer. My current Razr HD is rooted, and I'm loving the extra power I have to do stuff.

However, I can see that many may not want to root, and think that not rooting is a fine idea for most users. But for those who like to tinker with their tech, and maybe even push some boundaries, rooting is still going to give you the best experience. It's not for everyone though, and that's okay. Don't let anyone push you into rooting when you don't feel comfortable with it.
    glsmith1544 likes this.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD
    I rooted because a couple of apps I wanted required root. It *is* something I approached with great intrepidation since I paid for a retail phone to keep my unlimited data. So there was a lot of money on the line if I bricked it.
    Dalvik_Cache likes this.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    I have rooted in the past but have not yet rooted my s4. Honestly I do not feel the need to root as of now. My phone does all I need it to do the way it is. She I'll get bored at some point and root but who knows.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Nexus 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Phone
    Bionic, Gnex, N7, RMHD, G2
    i have rooted every smart phone i bought, and never had an issue arise from having root or the root process.
    imo, the majority of the time people have problems with the rooting process is because they dont read, and re-read if necessary or ask questions first, the instructions before they start.
    an ever growing percentage of the community in general is moving towards a "i want it now" mentality, dam the learning process, just gimme gimme gimme.
    which inevitably leads to post like "OMG root broke my phone". i can definitely understand why many wouldn't want to do it seeing post like this.
    another thing that gives root a bad name is, we frequently dont get the hole story behind a rooting issue. what i mean is, someone will root, then start deleting bloat etc. or using a root app they dont understand how it works, break the phone, and just post something like "omg i rooted my phone now its broken" (leaving out all the juicy details of what they did after they rooted).
    now from an inexperienced users view point root is really looking scary i agree, but 99% of the time root had nothing to do with the issue(s) at hand. the problem(s) are almost always from user error, for the simple fact that thousands have done it without issue.

rooting your phone does nothing more than give you SuperUser permissions, its what you do with the permission that either gives you a better user experience or breaks your phone.

im not trying to sway anyone to or from rooting, this post is nothing more than a brief summary of facts gathered through my experience from helping people un-break their phones over the past few years.

thanks for reading
    bkdodger likes this.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr HD
    Sexually transmitted diseases ?
    jntdroid and ufcfan72 like this.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr HD
    I agree. Like people who don't understand computers, and end up deleting something they shouldn't delete.
    I did that with my first PC. Major dramas with a cast of thousands then ensued.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr HD
    "I think many people have warranty concerns, since rooting can void the warranty."

Yes, that's my main concern. Mowed a lot of lawns for this phone
    Dalvik_Cache likes this.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    I really want to try that XenonHD ROM. Thinking about Rooting.

I've done plenty of rooting before on my last phone. I found all the links I need. I just want to make sure I have the steps in order.
    : Root the phone
    : Then unlock the Bootloader

It has to be done in this order, right?
    or is it the other way?
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Droid X --> SGS3 --> Note II
    Here's my two cents, that I want to submit before reading the other replies:
    I spend a lot of time on this forum, and all the descriptions of the RESULTS of rooting sound great! Beautiful screens and wonderful themes and so on. It's very tempting...
    HOWEVER!! My Galaxy Note II cost $250...and would cost a lot to replace. And all the descriptions of HOW to root sound complicated, and all of them carry warnings about what could go wrong. If there was some way that was easy (and not just DESCRIBED as easy by whoever came up with it)....AND if there were an easy way to recover the phone if anything did go wrong, then I'd definitely try it.
    But as it stands now, it seems like a complicated process where things could go wrong at every step (this may not be true, but it SEEMS like it from the descriptions), so I can't risk my Note. It's not only expensive, but, as it's configured now, it does everything I want. It's great with videos, games, Internet, and yes, even calls! It's literally everything I want in a phone/tablet hybrid.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    --Thomas A. Edison
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links