SO I ran the RAZR HD through its paces today - as I figured I would try it to see if it could hold up vs. spending extra for the MAXX.
The good news is that it got really close.
- I left hotspot on all day long, using it to stream SKY.FM from my Kindle all day and my regular Nexus tablet for internet.
- I left Bluetooth on all day long.
- I left GPS on all day long.
- Screen brightness at half way.
- Didn't touch the phone except to make three 5 minute phone calls.
From that I reached 10 hours before I ran out of juice. That's not "great" but it's still somewhat impressive.
The problem: the phone's 4G performance tanked when it was hotspot connected. I confirmed this by doing a speed test from both the phone and the Nexus. Instead of the usual 12 down and 12 up, was down to barely 3 down and 3 up, and the SKY.FM stream kept cutting out. Latency was through the roof. This is in an area that my RAZR MAXX has *never* struggled with. Phone was also hotter than expected.
This is distressing, because if it can't do a hotspot correctly without struggling, I'll be forced to go back to the old MAXX.
Anyone else having any issue with the hotspot?
UPDATE: I found out after testing that WPA2 was the culprit. It completely nerfs the data speed on the phone if you use it.