DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: TMI! ICS Rooted, TB Pro & OTA Rootkeeper installed. Best SAFE Way to Upgrade to JB??

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx 173/ 2.36

Post TMI! ICS Rooted, TB Pro & OTA Rootkeeper installed. Best SAFE Way to Upgrade to JB??

I like many have have ICS .211, Titanium backup, OTA rootkeeper and free wifi tether hack thru SQLlite as well.

I keep getting the request to OTA update, so I froze the updater with TB for now but want to do the upgrade if it is safe.

How can those of us with this config;
    Safely upgrade to JB
    Keep root
    Keep USB & wifi tether

Also will it be ok to restore all user AND system apps with TB after upgrade?

There are a hundred fragmented threads but I cannot seem to find the surefire way to do this properly.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt DasBamf Remix
    I am in the same boat. My update keeps failing, so I used OTA Voodo to temp. un-root, and going to try the update. Id like to see what our options are for this too.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx 173/ 2.36
    Did you do the update yet? results etc?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Protect root with voodoo, but don't temp unroot (I don't know why this was advised exactly, but it worked out fine for me.) Then you can update to JB and restore root. But further, you have the insurance of knowing there is now a Jellybean root method, so even if that screws up somehow, there's that.

I didn't have to re-enable my wifi tether hack either... but again, I installed WITHOUT wiping.

I can confirm though, that either way, you can definitely keep root and wifi/usb tethering. I'm proof.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    No need to go through all that and stress out. Simply go here (DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!)), download the tool, run option 2 (if you don't want to wipe the internal storage), or option 1 (if you DO want to wipe internal storage), then after running either 1 or 2, run option 3 to root, and then option 4 for Safestrap and you're done.

You will have to do the WIFI Tether hack again, but it's no big deal. Just open the file, change the 1 to a 0, save and reboot.
    helron likes this.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    I know this sounds like a stupid question and a few of u may want to post a great big "DUH!" -- I installed the Razr JB Utility, rooted and installed safestrap with the same utility! Is this one stop shopping, or what!

Anyway, here's my Question:
    Folks are saying that JB wil be pushing another OTA update to fix a few flaws. If that happens will I:
    1. Lose root?
    2. Receive the OTA?
    3. Should I install Rootkeeper?
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated, becaue I am new at all of this stuff:-)
    Last edited by helron; 03-27-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    FoxKat likes this.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have the same questions.
    I didn't know another ota was in the works.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Helron, you bring up a great question. Thing is...nobody really knows if the update in question (or for that matter any update), will cause us to lose root. Also, although we have been very fortunate in all but the most recent cases that Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper works well and allows us to as you say "hide it's protected copy", there is nothing to prevent VeriGooglRolla (I coined that name), from coming up with a way to defeat it. My gut feeling is that it's low on their priorities list - especially now that they have the ability to see if a phone's been or is rooted, so as to protect themselves from excessive or unwarranted warranty claims.

So, to answer the questions in order;

Folks are saying that JB wil be pushing another OTA update to fix a few flaws. If that happens will I:

1. Lose root? - Who's to say? We won't know until and if someone updates and loses (or doesn't lose), root!

2. Receive the OTA? - Yes, as long as you haven't altered the OS in any way from the pure stock version, that means NO freezing deleting or changing of apps (deactivate within OS is OK), no installation of non-stock "system" apps, no changing of parameters such as the "Entitlement Hack", etc. The short answer is PURE STOCK, you'll get the OTA.

3. Should I install Rootkeeper? - I say, why not? My gut feeling is it can't hurt, and if it works - GREAT! If it doesn't, well it did no harm.

helron and TisMyDroid like this.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Helron, you bring up a great question. Thing is...nobody really knows if the update in question (or for that matter any update), will cause us to lose root. Also, although we have been very fortunate in all but the most recent cases that Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper works well and allows us to as you say "hide it's protected copy", there is nothing to prevent VeriGooglRolla (I coined that name), from coming up with a way to defeat it. My gut feeling is that it's low on their priorities list - especially now that they have the ability to see if a phone's been or is rooted, so as to protect themselves from excessive or unwarranted warranty claims.

So, to answer the questions in order;

1. Lose root? - Who's to say? We won't know until and if someone updates and loses (or doesn't lose), root!

2. Receive the OTA? - Yes, as long as you haven't altered the OS in any way from the pure stock version, that means NO freezing deleting or changing of apps (deactivate within OS is OK), no installation of non-stock "system" apps, no changing of parameters such as the "Entitlement Hack", etc. The short answer is PURE STOCK, you'll get the OTA.

3. Should I install Rootkeeper? - I say, why not? My gut feeling is it can't hurt, and if it works - GREAT! If it doesn't, well it did no harm.

Thanks! I will give Rootkeepr a shot. Regarding #2 above:
    1. Should I ever decide to freeze a stock app, and then learn of OTA push, can I unfreeze it prior to OTA install?
    2. Exactly what apps are considered system apps? I assume these are Roms? How about Saftstrap, Rootkeeper, and other 3rd party apps.

11. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by helron View Post
    [/INDENT]

Thanks! I will give Rootkeepr a shot. Regarding #2 above:
    1. Should I ever decide to freeze a stock app, and then learn of OTA push, can I unfreeze it prior to OTA install?
    2. Exactly what apps are considered system apps? I assume these are Roms? How about Saftstrap, Rootkeeper, and other 3rd party apps.

[/FONT]
    [/B]
    FoxKat is where it's at! You the man! Helron, if you disable apps (same as freezing) within the phone settings -->apps --> all apps, then you are safe for update. If you freeze apps within titanium backup, then you will want to unfreeze before taking an OTA. Technically only the frozen apps in TiBU that can't be disabled in settings will be the ones to unfreeze. Frozen apps in TiBU that can also be disabled in settings are safe to keep frozen and get an OTA. But the safest thing is to just unfreeze any apps that were frozen in TiBU.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links