DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Soft Bricked after reverting from Jelly Bean update

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by d4vr0s View Post
    What Jellybean file are you referring to? I have the update on my SD card already.
    Ok well then if that's the case you should still be able to go into recovery and flash the jellybean update zip. Same thing happened to me and I'm on jellybean with everything running smooth. Just hold volume up/down with power at the same time. When the screen pops up select recovery. When the little green guy appears hit volume up/down again. Select update from sd card... Select the jellybean file. Let it do its thing. Should work.
    Last edited by Beckeramos; 01-01-2013 at 11:39 AM.
  2. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    spc_hicks09
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    What Jellybean file are you referring to? I have the update on my SD card already.
    Out of curiosity, how did you get the Jelly Bean update zip? Just wondering because if you grabbed it from a post, the OP should have definitely posted that there is no way at all to go back to ICS.

No amount of what anyone does is going to allow you to fastboot back to .211

Sadly reflashing the update.zip will only work if you haven't already debloated the JB that was on your phone before you tried to fastboot. If you altered that build in anyway, reflashing the update.zip will fail.
    The Stig 04 likes this.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by spc_hicks09 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how did you get the Jelly Bean update zip? Just wondering because if you grabbed it from a post, the OP should have definitely posted that there is no way at all to go back to ICS.

No amount of what anyone does is going to allow you to fastboot back to .211

Sadly reflashing the update.zip will only work if you haven't already debloated the JB that was on your phone before you tried to fastboot. If you altered that build in anyway, reflashing the update.zip will fail.
    He will not be able to go back to. 211 as a working system but once he used the fast boot file to go back. 211 will be the system on the phone. Yes the phone won't operate but he'll be able to go into recovery and flash the jellybean zip and have fully functional jellybean. Just won't be able to get root.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid RAZR 32GB
    Use Matt's 1.8.2 (option 1) this will install .211 and no it won't fully boot.

Boot it anyway. You will spend some time with the Android with the rotating "heart" for lackof a better term, then it will fail.

Boot back into stock recovery, and choose to update from the /sdcard. This brings you back to stock Jelly Bean, still no way back and no way forward (no way to re-root) But at least you can make and take calls, and do non-root things with it again.

EDIT: Welcome to my hell.
    Last edited by WireHead; 01-01-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Snarky remark.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855
    spc_hicks09: I got it off the XDA Developers thread. I did not read thoroughly enough and only blame myself for my predicament. I still have the original JB update on my sdcard, it will not flash.
    I think I stymied myself when I tried using RSD Lite to flash the sbf of ICS. I'd be happy to get just the stock JB working without root, but no joy.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    spc_hicks09: I got it off the XDA Developers thread. I did not read thoroughly enough and only blame myself for my predicament. I still have the original JB update on my sdcard, it will not flash.
    I think I stymied myself when I tried using RSD Lite to flash the sbf of ICS. I'd be happy to get just the stock JB working without root, but no joy.
    Tell us what's going on? Are you able to get into recovery?
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855
    I can get into recovery, when I try to flash the JB update it errors with this: apply_patch_check on EMMC:boot
    That's not verbatim, but I figured all the numbers and letters, which I guess are md5 checksums, aren't necessary to post.

I've already gotten a replacement phone from Verizon and have to send mine back. It would be nice to send it in with a working OS just in case they want to charge me for the repair.
    Last edited by d4vr0s; 01-02-2013 at 09:56 AM.
  8. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    spc_hicks09
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    I can get into recovery, when I try to flash the JB update it errors with this: apply_patch_check on EMMC:boot
    That's not verbatim, but I figured all the numbers and letters, which I guess are md5 checksums, aren't necessary to post.

I've already gotten a replacement phone from Verizon and have to send mine back. It would be nice to send it in with a working OS just in case they want to charge me for the repair.
    If you fastboot back to .211 (even if it won't boot). The run the update through stock recovery it should work.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone

what about using jb dual boot utility by lightwaver & matt to flash a different kernal (211) and then trying to fast boot back?

if you can fast boot you can flash the kernal
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by WireHead View Post
    Use Matt's 1.8.2 (option 1) this will install .211 and no it won't fully boot.

Boot it anyway. You will spend some time with the Android with the rotating "heart" for lackof a better term, then it will fail.

Boot back into stock recovery, and choose to update from the /sdcard. This brings you back to stock Jelly Bean, still no way back and no way forward (no way to re-root) But at least you can make and take calls, and do non-root things with it again.

EDIT: Welcome to my hell.
    Sorry to hear about all the trouble ppl are having with update. I did pretty well, with exception.

I updated to jelly bean, using OTA rootkeeper, I kept my root. Once running JB, I tried to use Titanium to restore phone...no go...forgot to restore root. With voodoo still protecting root, I powered down (can't remember reason, seemed like a good idea at the time for some other issue), upon coming back in, I tried to restore root and voodoo would not restore just stayed at same page. I used root checker and it won't work. I used SQLite to check permissions to see if my hotspot would still work for free, it was 0 and does still work. My double twist player (which I believe requires root) still works, my hotspot still works but I cannot back up my phone with Titanium or MyBackUp Pro. Seems I did not update my scripts on SuperUser nor did I update scripts on busybox resulting in my having some sort of limited root but unable to do anything new requiring root. I cannot believe I did not update busybox/superuser. I am kicking myself in the backside but thankful I'm not having any of the issues some are. The only bug I have is using swype capitalizes every word when using it on internet/browser pages but not on apps (i.e. if I were to post here or facebook via swype it would capitalize everything, if i use Facebook app, it does not), which is minor compared to some of the issues others are having. Anyone have any idea if it is possible to update busybox/superuser (scripts not app)? That my solve my dilemma. Anyway, hopefully we will be able to root these sooner than later. GL to those with issues.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links