DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FoxKat
  • 1 Post By jsandy

Thread: Root for Android noob

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Root for Android noob

I'll keep it brief for you guys.

So.. I've had a RAZR since 11/10/11. Pre-order. Love it. Love ICS. First Android phone. First post on these boards, too.

Finally got a navigation dock for my phone today. Love it. Hate that VZW Navigator launches when I plug it in. Contemplate rooting. Am completely ignorant of rooting a phone.

Google. Find this.

How to Root Droid Razr on ICS! [Windows/Mac/Linux] | DroidRazrRoot.comURL looks only a LITTLE fishy, /sarcasm. Site is overwhelmed with ads and fake download links. But, instructions are simple.

Go back to Google. Find droidforums.net. See RAZR section, see How to root. Am confused. Contemplating poorly written site root. Not sure what to do. Just want to get rid of the crap-ware on my phone, but also concerned what/if I will lose anything on the device (ignorant of rooting part) - contacts, applications, etc, by doing so.

Shady site looks almost to good to be true. Probably is since all I have to do is UNROOT - and what does that entail, exactly? Just removes root access? Factory resets my phone?

Please help. I want to learn.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Here's everything you need in one place.

Droid RAZR Utility 1.8

This will root, unroot, protect root, flash roms, etc.
    sambith likes this.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Thanks FoxKat!

Now, noob question 2 - out of paranoia, I've backed everything up to my SD card. Root access doesn't/shouldn't affect any of my files, accounts or contacts on the device, correct?
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambith View Post
    Thanks FoxKat!

Now, noob question 2 - out of paranoia, I've backed everything up to my SD card. Root access doesn't/shouldn't affect any of my files, accounts or contacts on the device, correct?
    Rooting doesn't affect storage, but flashing of a ROM or doing a Factory DataRestore will. As long as you are only rooting, installing Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and protecting root, you will be fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    i just finished rooting my phone with the link you posted. now how do i go about making changes? Deleting bloatware and all that jazz!
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid
    From one newb to another. If there is anything that I've learned, it is "Don't remove bloatware". Freeze it, disable it, whatever, but don't remove it. If you ever have to go back to bone stock you'll be jumping through hoops to get the bloat ware back. I freeze mine with Titanium Backup.
    jpcalhoun likes this.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jsandy View Post
    From one newb to another. If there is anything that I've learned, it is "Don't remove bloatware". Freeze it, disable it, whatever, but don't remove it. If you ever have to go back to bone stock you'll be jumping through hoops to get the bloat ware back. I freeze mine with Titanium Backup.
    I did! I was really bothered by a lot of the bloat, so I just froze them. I also backed up everything to my Box account to be safe.

Haven't done any overclocking yet, but everything runs MUCH smoother already! I love it.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by sambith

I did! I was really bothered by a lot of the bloat, so I just froze them. I also backed up everything to my Box account to be safe.

Haven't done any overclocking yet, but everything runs MUCH smoother already! I love it.
    Way to go! And welcome to the forum. Stay around....peruse the posts, you'll learn tons
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by jsandy View Post
    Like jsandy so apply put it...DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING THAT YOU CANNOT DELETE WITHOUT ROOT, and there are a few apps that come with the Razr that you can safely uninstall. Just remember if you root and freeze apps or services you must unfreeze them, unroot (you can use Voodoo to do this) and then take the OTA update/upgrade.

Links