DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Want to root new phone on 6.12.181 -- should I take OTA 6.16.211 first?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperf250 View Post
    2. Plug the Stock Motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the Stock Motorola USB Charging cable into the Motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone.
    Is this something that can be done with the stock charger only?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4s
    Using foxkats meter training method yes it is because your charger was made for your phone so therefore it is the best one to train your meter not all cellphone chargers are created equal so some may be more powerful and others may be weaker it all depends so use only your motorola charger and cable i hope this helped explain it better

Sent from my DROID RAZR in blue! using Droid Forums
    my signature should be right here but... im to lazy to add one
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR - Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperf250 View Post
    7. After the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "Low battery" warning (Gingerbread shows at 15%, ICS shows at 10%).
    8. Once the phone displays the "Low battery" warning at 15% (10% ICS), repeat steps 1 through 7.
    OK, so I powered off and am charging now. Are you saying that once charged, and I use the phone, I should now refrain from charging it agagain, until it only has ~15% left? Then do this again every couple of months? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    You may want to wait a week or so and see if Moto releases another update. It's been two months since ICS was released for the Razr/Razr Maxx and typically Moto releases an update two months later. The update could be .215, but maybe not. If you flash .215 you'll have to restore back to .211 to recieve the next offical OTA, thats why I say you may want to wait before flashing .215 (see how your phone behaves on .211 first). If you root then you'll have to restore to stock .211 with the utility anyway to get the official OTA. If you root do not delete any app that you could not delete without root (there are a few that don't require root to delete/uninstall). Use Titanium Backup or something like that to freeze them.
    I am fine w/ waiting a bit, as OTA is preferred. I just want root access, so I can disable things like the PIN that was imposed on my by my work's Exchange server. If a phone is rooted, but no custom ROM is loaded, do you have to do anything special before or after installing an OTA update?
    Last edited by Jayfore; 08-16-2012 at 11:33 PM.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4s
    If your on ics (ice cream sandwich android ver. 4.0) run it down to 10% but no lower then charge to 100% again with your phone off

Sent from my DROID RAZR in blue! using Droid Forums
    my signature should be right here but... im to lazy to add one
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayfore
    OK, so I powered off and am charging now. Are you saying that once charged, and I use the phone, I should now refrain from charging it agagain, until it only has ~15% left? Then do this again every couple of months? Thanks.

I am fine w/ waiting a bit, as OTA is preferred. I just want root access, so I can disable things like the PIN that was imposed on my by my work's Exchange server. If a phone is rooted, but no custom ROM is loaded, do you have to do anything special before or after installing an OTA update?
    Yes, once charged, refrain from charging again until you get to 10-15%. Then turn off and charge again to 100%. Then you can use and charge it as you normally would.

If you are rooted with no rom, then to get the OTA you will need to defrost/enable any stock apps that are frozen/disabled and temporarily unroot using Voodoo rootkeeper to get the OTA.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR - Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    If you are rooted with no rom, then to get the OTA you will need to defrost/enable any stock apps that are frozen/disabled and temporarily unroot using Voodoo rootkeeper to get the OTA.
    OK, so this must be a function of the 1.81 utility -- you can disable a bunch of the junk apps that Verizon/Moto puts on the phone? That would be great. Is this an easy process? Since this is my work phone, I don't want to mess it up... So I need to ask a lot of questions. Thanks!
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Jayfore, you can disable most of the bloatware and even uninstall some if you are on ICS and not rooted. Go to settings, apps, then along top go to "all apps." Go to the bloatware apps (ie. Mog music, motoactv, slacker, vehicle mode, vz navigator, lots) and in the upper right will be the option to disable. Some of the stock bloatware apps you have to uninstall the updates before you are able to disable. One of the best ICS features there is. Happy disabling!
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR - Verizon
    Jayfore, you can disable most of the bloatware and even uninstall some if you are on ICS and not rooted. Go to settings, apps, then along top go to "all apps." Go to the bloatware apps (ie. Mog music, motoactv, slacker, vehicle mode, vz navigator, lots) and in the upper right will be the option to disable. Some of the stock bloatware apps you have to uninstall the updates before you are able to disable. One of the best ICS features there is. Happy disabling!
    Thanks! I had done some of that, but didn't know enough about some of these apps to be OK with disabling them. I just disabled the ones you mentioned. I just wish there was a way to totally get rid of them. Do I need to re-enable these before accepting an OTA update or anything?

Speaking of updates, I think it was my update to ICS that got me Swype. Or it may have been a supplemental Verizon update right after. The stock keyboard sucks and was driving me nuts... I love Swype, and had hoped to get it on my phone. It was really a pleasant surprise when it showed up, but I really don't know what update installed it for me -- I'm pretty sure it was not a standalone installer of any kind. Does anybody know where it would have come from? I'm sure it wasn't on here when I got the phone, and pretty sure it didn't appear as part of my ICS upgrade. Thanks!
  9. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    If you are still not rooted, then any bloat app that gives you the option to disable is safe to disable. And there are some of the bloat games (golf and I think madden football or whatever it is) even allow you the option to uninstall them.

And yes, still have swype with all of the updates. I love Swype!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR - Verizon
    If you are still not rooted, then any bloat app that gives you the option to disable is safe to disable. And there are some of the bloat games (golf and I think madden football or whatever it is) even allow you the option to uninstall them.
    Not rooted yet. A recommendation was to hold off for a bit, thinking that maybe a new OTA update would be coming out in the next week or so. So far, nothing yet, but still keeping my eyes peeled.

So, just to make sure I understand... If I am rooted, I need to re-enable all the bloat apps before I accept the OTA update. Is that correct? If I am not rooted yet, I can do it now, using the 1.81 utility, and it should work without a hitch. Once an OTA update is available, see first point. Is this correct? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links