DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Root/UnRoot help, please!

1. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    Well, I'd recommend Titanium Backup to start with. It's a good app to freeze (note I said freeze, please do not delete apps anytime...just freeze or move them to somewhere you can find them...you'll need them for the OTA updates). There are other apps in GooglePlay that do the samething, but Titanium Backup is kinda the standard. If you're going to flash ROMs (there is a good list available for .211 on Droidrzr.com) then you will need Bootstrap or Safestrap (it will depend on the ROM as to which to use, the developer of the ROM normally specifies which one to use...but don't have both installed at the same time). I'm rooted and the only thing I've done is freeze some apps and I use the root version of Apex Launcher. Go to Google Play and do a search for "root apps" and it will give you a pretty comprehensive list of apps that require root.
    +1 ^^^

Also, install "VooDoo Root Keeper" (it's free) it will back up your root, and with one click you can un-root in case you need to take an OTA, and then with one click you can restore root. but the BEST root app is Titanium Backup, the pro version is well worth the money for what it does ... especially freezing apps and backing up your installed apps.
    jpcalhoun likes this.
    So MattyP how do you get all the ladies??
    'MattyP' I just offer classes on upgrading their OS...
    Really?? That's it??
    'MattyP' yeah, the chicks love it when you give em an upgrade...

Sig courtesy of jstafford1
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    VooDoo and Ti Backup are at the top of the list. I also use used to use Root Explorer quite extensively. Looking at the utility, I see the last option has a "leaked" kernel. For those of you that have installed it, is there any noticible difference between it and the stock kernel? Specifically, how's the battery life hold up on it? Before I upgraded my other RAZR to ICS, I was AMAZED at the battery life I was getting out of it on GB. Granted, I have the MAXX, I was still going two days without plugging it in. When ICS came in OTA, my battery life decreased drastically!!!

From what I've seen, I like the interface of ICS, but still think I prefer GB.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    VooDoo and Ti Backup are at the top of the list. I also use used to use Root Explorer quite extensively. Looking at the utility, I see the last option has a "leaked" kernel. For those of you that have installed it, is there any noticible difference between it and the stock kernel? Specifically, how's the battery life hold up on it? Before I upgraded my other RAZR to ICS, I was AMAZED at the battery life I was getting out of it on GB. Granted, I have the MAXX, I was still going two days without plugging it in. When ICS came in OTA, my battery life decreased drastically!!!

Yeap...VooDoo is a must (thanks Matty P I forgot that one) and Root Explorer is a good also, I forgot that I use that also. It's amazing how quickly you forget what you use without thinking about it
    MattyP likes this.
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx

I use root explorer also ... I love it for moving and renaming files. And since I went to the .215 leak my battery life is awesome, well over 24 hours on a charge, with regular usage ... calls, texts, and web. I'm lovin it
    Really?? That's it??

5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    Yeap...VooDoo is a must (thanks Matty P I forgot that one) and Root Explorer is a good also, I forgot that I use that also. It's amazing how quickly you forget what you use without thinking about it
    I have 3 different file managers ... Root Explorer, Astro, and Super Manager. But Root Explorer is always the one I go to first. Been using that since my rooted Droid 2.
    jpcalhoun likes this.
    Really?? That's it??

6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    I have 3 different file managers ... Root Explorer, Astro, and Super Manager. But Root Explorer is always the one I go to first. Been using that since my rooted Droid 2.
    I have astro also but never use it. With root you can't beat Root Explorer.
    MattyP likes this.
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I bet whoever created SQLite is making mad money off the peeps who want to bang Big Red on tethering LOL
    Really?? That's it??

8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    lol...that was my next question. What apps actually work for tethering? I used to use Wireless Tether when I was running a custom ROM on my Droid. But I noticed it doesn't work on my RAZR. Either that, or I just don't know how to get it set up right. Any tethering apps that I can DL that will automatically let my laptop recognize it?
  9. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    lol...that was my next question. What apps actually work for tethering? I used to use Wireless Tether when I was running a custom ROM on my Droid. But I noticed it doesn't work on my RAZR. Either that, or I just don't know how to get it set up right. Any tethering apps that I can DL that will automatically let my laptop recognize it?
    Some are still having good luck with FoxFi.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    just tried FoxFi to no avail. I just DL'd SQLite and I'm going to try the hack I've read about. I figure if it works, more than worth $3, and if it doesn't, I'm sure there will be something along the way that I'll end up using that app for.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links