DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Root/UnRoot help, please!

1. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    700 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    Yes you do. If you are now running .211 (the most recent update) you need to download and install RazrUtility 1.8 (available in a thread just below this one), install the utility on your computer and run option 1, restore to .211. There is no unroot option with .211 and the current version of the RazrUtility. This method is recommended by the developer of the RazrUtility.
    Actually that is a great idea if you are sending it back anyway. That way you know it will be completely clean. Way to think outside the box JP.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydman View Post
    Could you not use Voodoo to temporarily unroot and then just delete the root backup?
    IDK...will this unroot the phone? I don't care how I go about doing it...just don't want to lose my warranty when I turn the phone in!
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    Yes you do. If you are now running .211 (the most recent update) you need to download and install RazrUtility 1.8 (available in a thread just below this one), install the utility on your computer and run option 1, restore to .211. There is no unroot option with .211 and the current version of the RazrUtility. This method is recommended by the developer of the RazrUtility.
    +1 ^^^ I agree ... run Version 1.8 with option 1, then I would also do a wipe data and cache from Moto Recovery and just to be safe do a Factory Data Reset after that ... should be like it came out of the box then.
    So MattyP how do you get all the ladies??
    'MattyP' I just offer classes on upgrading their OS...
    Really?? That's it??
    'MattyP' yeah, the chicks love it when you give em an upgrade...

Sig courtesy of jstafford1
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    IDK...will this unroot the phone? I don't care how I go about doing it...just don't want to lose my warranty when I turn the phone in!
    Download and install RazrUtility 1.8 and run option 1...restore to .211. Any other method may break root but it may not remove superuser or busybox or the root backup... all of which will be big RED FLAGS to a Verizon tech.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Thanks, JP, downloading 1.8 now. I live out in the sticks and we have wireless internet out here. Shows it will take 3 hrs to DL!!!! Guess I'll be checking back this evening. Once I run option 1 (restore to .211), will that remove root? Is that all I will need to do? Also, I need to pull my SD and SIM card from my old phone and put them both in my new phone to get it up and running. Should I un-root the old one first, then after replacing the SIM card into the new phone, use the same utility to root the new phone?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Thanks, JP, downloading 1.8 now. I live out in the sticks and we have wireless internet out here. Shows it will take 3 hrs to DL!!!! Guess I'll be checking back this evening. Once I run option 1 (restore to .211), will that remove root? Is that all I will need to do? Also, I need to pull my SD and SIM card from my old phone and put them both in my new phone to get it up and running. Should I un-root the old one first, then after replacing the SIM card into the new phone, use the same utility to root the new phone?
    Your welcome. Yes, running the restore option in 1.8 will put your phone back to stock. In a post just above this one MattyP makes a good suggestion...wipe data/cache and do a Factory Reset...that will clean up any residue that might be left on the phone. You don't have to do it...but it won't hurt...make sure you're restored before you do the wipe and factory reset though. Restore then pull your sim and sd card.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    OK, only took ALL NIGHT to DL the utility, but I got it and have restored the RAZR back to stock. Now I want to wipe it in MotoRecovery, but I'm not sure how to get into Recovery on this phone. Somebody tell me how, please??
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    700 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    OK, only took ALL NIGHT to DL the utility, but I got it and have restored the RAZR back to stock. Now I want to wipe it in MotoRecovery, but I'm not sure how to get into Recovery on this phone. Somebody tell me how, please??
    Power off the phone. Hold the volume up and down at the same time and press the power button, hit the volume down to go to recovery and volume up to select it. When it gets to the Droid guy press the volume up and down to enter menu.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Thanks for all the help. I got the old RAZR reverted back to stock and wiped clean. I'm currently setting up my new RAZR now. Time to Root! Although I had the other RAZR rooted, I hadn't really gotten around to dioing anything with it because I was so happy with how it ran and the battery life. The only thing I was lacking was a tethering app like I had on my OG Droid. So, after rooting, any suggestions on some "must haves" to throw on there?
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Thanks for all the help. I got the old RAZR reverted back to stock and wiped clean. I'm currently setting up my new RAZR now. Time to Root! Although I had the other RAZR rooted, I hadn't really gotten around to dioing anything with it because I was so happy with how it ran and the battery life. The only thing I was lacking was a tethering app like I had on my OG Droid. So, after rooting, any suggestions on some "must haves" to throw on there?
    Well, I'd recommend Titanium Backup to start with. It's a good app to freeze (note I said freeze, please do not delete apps anytime...just freeze or move them to somewhere you can find them...you'll need them for the OTA updates). There are other apps in GooglePlay that do the samething, but Titanium Backup is kinda the standard. If you're going to flash ROMs (there is a good list available for .211 on Droidrzr.com) then you will need Bootstrap or Safestrap (it will depend on the ROM as to which to use, the developer of the ROM normally specifies which one to use...but don't have both installed at the same time). I'm rooted and the only thing I've done is freeze some apps and I use the root version of Apex Launcher. Go to Google Play and do a search for "root apps" and it will give you a pretty comprehensive list of apps that require root.
    MattyP likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links