DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Droid RAZR Utility 1.8

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Ahh, thanks Brad! Do You think the best thing to do would be to download utility and extract again? And is it safe to run the utility to root your phone if it doesn't appear that it worked the first time? Should you do an fdr before trying to root again?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
    He can try and download the utility again, but since its a huge file, I would just try to extract it again and make sure that its extracted to the desktop. If that doesn't work, you can try downloading it again. I am pretty sure there is no md5 checksum to verify with. I'd check mine for you, but my laptop is in another city lol.

If it didn't work, it shouldn't matter if he FDR's. I would just make sure its in MTP storage mode, USB Debugging is on and the Motorola cable is used.

If that doesn't help, there is another way to root using the unstuck ICS .211 tool and the RAZR Utility 1.6. It takes a couple minutes and it involves flashing the boot.img/kernel from 4.0.3, using the ICS root option in the 1.6 utility and then flashing the .211 boot.img/kernel. I used this method to reroot ICS when it was first leaked and Voodoo didn't keep root. It displayed the same symptoms as you're having like only certain apps had root access and most didn't.
    -Brad
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid Razr
    Arghhhhh...
    Remember I am on .215 leak
    Have run FDR
    Set up for USB Debugging
    Set up for connection as a Media device
    Have tried allow access from non-Market apps ("Unknown sources") turned on and off. I assume this should be turned on but not in OP instructions??

Still hangs.

Run From the desktop...hangs in middle of procedure
    Droid RAZR Utility 1.8-razr-root-errors-desktop.jpg

Run form C-Drive folder it "completes" with errors but does not root....
    Droid RAZR Utility 1.8-razr-root-errors-c-drive.jpg

Something is weird about the cables...
    1. I started this last week with 2 meter "Green Stripe" cable from Verizon. But this cable only allowed charging and USB did not recognize device. This was noticed when I was installing .215 leak. I had to download it to my phone instead of PC and move it to root.
    2. I bought a Mororola DATA Cable online from outside source. Which now recognized the device and installed correct USB drivers and all the other Motorola/Verizon crapware.

But now starts these issues.
    3. So today I went to Verizon and bought a 12" "DATA cable" for my RAZR. (Interesting... it has green stripe like original 2m cable and they also sell 2m cable but I figure maybe a shorter cable will help data transmission.) I question Verizon about if this is a true DATA cable and they say yes and box says DATA cable.
    4. Go home plug it in and WHAT! with this cable once again PC will not recognize USB connection but will charge??????????????????

When you look at these pics....notice it cannot copy files to Droid due to "Permission Denied" or "Read-Only File System".
    What would cause this?

With these cable problems with an actual DATA cable from Verizon that s not recognized by USB connection....
    Do I maybe have a phone problem?

.....Net is where I am and Nathan is me.....

Now:
    Motorola Droid RAZR - Verizon
    Thanks to Droid RAZR Utility 1.81.... now Rooted
    Thinking about a new theme..
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    I think it is the USB cable and not the phone. It could be the USB port also. Can you try another port or another PC? I am guessing you do not have the stock Motorola cable that came with the phone. And it definitely appears to be that the PC is not recognizing the phone.

4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    I think it is the USB cable and not the phone. It could be the USB port also. Can you try another port or another PC? I am guessing you do not have the stock Motorola cable that came with the phone. And it definitely appears to be that the PC is not recognizing the phone.

Doubt seriously if it is PC....Started on 1 laptop (Company Laptop) and now on another laptop (Home laptop).
    Same issue on both pcs trying all USB ports.. using the Green stripe "DATA" cable the phone is not recognized as a USB device... only charges. However, with the off-brand "Motorola DATA Cable" purchased online it is recognized by USB.
    Last edited by NetNathan; 08-19-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Now:
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    I would return the ones that aren't recognized if you can. If there is one that is recognized, then go with that one. My guess is that the problem is some data cables are better than others for data transfer and what you could be running into is the one that is recognized may be good enough for small amounts of data transfer but not for continuous feed of larger amounts of data. If there was any way that you might know someone with a razr or even a rezound, you would be better to use their stock USB cables.

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid Razr
    And on it goes..

Went back to Verizon. Proved to them that the "Green Stripe" "DATA cable" they sell is no good.
    They could not believe on even their pc the "Green Stripe" cable was not recognized by USB.
    They went in the back and brought a new razor and pulled the true cable with "V-Cast Media Manager" tag and warranty tag, and it worked.
    They gave me the cable no charge. So no I am off o home knowing my problems would now be solved.
    No such luck..

Here are results.
    Droid RAZR Utility 1.8-razr-root-errors-correct-cable.jpg

I am really interested in failures (shown in picture) to copy certain files. Showing Permission "Denied" or "Read-Only File System". WHY??

SuperUser does not got installed, BusyBox does not get installed, and "CHMOD" directory does not get installed (which is probably the root files).
    This is why root does not happen because these files and folders are not in location.

I even tried installing Voodoo from Utility. It worked and I had the buttons.....but only box checked was "/system supports root protection".
    Tried "Protect Root" but it failed on "no su copy available" (box not checked either).
    Then Play wanted to update it and after update buttons disappeared again.... What??

As a test I tried Titanium backup but it said phone not rooted.
    Last edited by NetNathan; 08-19-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Now:
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Wow, wow, wow! Very frustrating. Okay, here its my next idea. Which ever utility you are using... scratch that and download and extract the other one. Try that one, see if it works.

Nice that you did get a stock USB cable. Now to just get the utility to work.

8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid Razr
    Should I see if I can build the folders that are failing on my internal storage or is it built on the SD card?
    If someone can tell me the Folder/File structure, I can build the folders and copy the files to the correct directories and run it to see if that solves the issues.
    I opened the "C:\DroidRAZRUtility/DroidRAZRUtility.bat" batch file and can see it is looking for a "/system" folder that does not exist. I assume it is built and the necessary files are copied to it from the Utility. However, I cannot tell if it is created on the SD card or internal drive.

Oh yea.... before anyone thinks to ask.....
    I have 7 GB free of internal storage 12GB free on the SD card.
    I have completely opened security permissions and sharing to "Everyone" on the C:\DroidRAZRUtility folder. Just in case the problem is related to permission on my PC (Win 7 PRO 32bit).

I have both downloads extracted and they are both the same size.
    2.58 GB
    33 files, 2 folders
    So I doubt that is it.
    Last edited by NetNathan; 08-19-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Now:
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid Razr
    I finally resorted to sending an email to Matt to see if he can see the problem....
    I figured I had experienced enough issues to ask him.
    I don't THINK I have made any stupidly simple mistakes.

Now:
  10. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    I agree, it is not because you made any mistakes or overlooked anything. While you are waiting to hear back from Matt, see if this thread has a solution to this problem: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=567955

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Links