DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I need help, I want unlock my Motorola Droid Razr Verizon

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 liberty and anything
    Damn I'll bite on this one... Really?? Hell I would've lost a bet on this one..lol This is why I love these forums... News to me. Big news IMO...
    Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by droid2drummer View Post
    Damn I'll bite on this one... Really?? Hell I would've lost a bet on this one..lol This is why I love these forums... News to me. Big news IMO...
    Thanks for being with that me on that one too. I would have lost the entire pot on that bet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 liberty and anything
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Thanks for being with that me on that one too. I would have lost the entire pot on that bet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
    You and I have been around a while ...lol I thought they were rumors about the razr during speculation threads of pre release being possibly a world phone. Now that I think about it...hmmmm. I guess since there is a GSM and a cdma this is possible after all...Hell with P3 anything could happen...lol

4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr ICS

is Razr GSM capable?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    GSM is an entirely different cellular technology and different cellular radio. The RAZR sold for Verizon can't and never will be compatible with GSM, no matter what you do to it, since this model doesn't have a GSM radio installed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.
    My understanding (based on what's available on the Motorola web site) is that the Droid Razr has the proper hardware for GSM, but that it is locked out by Verizon to force people to use their own international service.
    I assume that the GSM radio can probably be unlocked by Verizon if they feel like it.

In the past, I have read that Verizon will unlock a phone that has been under contract for a while (at least 6 months), but I have not asked them myself. I believe I will try to have then unlock my Droid Razr when it is 6 months old because I do travel overseas on occasion.
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID Razr
    According to several articles I read a while back (I don't have the links), the GSM would be unlocked by default. Once people start receiving the OTA update or I suppose use the leak, I'm sure someone will attempt to test it to make sure.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTO Droid RAZR xt912 verizon
    I just got off the phone with Verizon support, and I was informed my RAZR running ICS is already unlocked for international GSM usage by default. The nice lady said all Verizon 4G phones were set up this way, though I can't verify that independently. I was advised to ask for a USIM (usage SIM) card to use in my phone from any provider I decided to use while I'm in Europe this summer.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr MAXX

GSM unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by tlrasmussen View Post
    I just got off the phone with Verizon support, and I was informed my RAZR running ICS is already unlocked for international GSM usage by default. The nice lady said all Verizon 4G phones were set up this way, though I can't verify that independently. I was advised to ask for a USIM (usage SIM) card to use in my phone from any provider I decided to use while I'm in Europe this summer.
    I sure hope that is the case. I am traveling to Europe in a week and have tried in vain to get information from Verizon. The only thing I could get out of Verizon when I asked Global Tech Support if the SIM was unlocked was "that is not a service we provide", which to me meant that it either was already unlocked or that they couldn't or wouldn't do it. It would be nice to know ahead of time if it was possible.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    X

dope

Quote Originally Posted by tlrasmussen View Post
    I sure hope you are right, I fly to Italy in a few hours, I have a Razr, I have 4.0 and will attempt to get a European service provided sum in the next few days, i will let. You all know how that goes.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    X
    Quote Originally Posted by Chharith View Post
    I sure hope you are right, I fly to Italy in a few hours, I have a Razr, I have 4.0 and will attempt to get a European service provided sum in the next few days, i will let. You all know how that goes.
    Its confirmed, a few hours ago I stopped into a wireless store and bought a week to week no contract plan from 'wind'. The lady took out my sim card and inserted the new one, my razr asked for a sim password, she put it in, and then the phone had a pop up saying that the sim card was not recognized, all you have to do is go into your settings and allow the use of other services, I kept the data turned off for the 3 hours it took the sim to activate to avoid any roaming fees. She told me that I was the first person to come into that store with a unlocked smart phone, thanks to the ota update to pics 4.0.

I'm trying out 'wind' for now, its like our metro PC's but worse, if that even makes sense, I can only call and text people with the same service provider or else I get charged like 12 euro cents per text, I forgot what the call per minute rate is, it was a lot. I also get only 1mb of data, but I guess it works out because the plan charges you on a week by week basis. So it can really add up. With 'wind' I keep going below 3g coverage indoors, and a very slow 3g out doors, almost iPhone slow. and I keep getting signed out of my Google account. I am not even going to try surfing youtube.

Once I get comfortable in Italy I will try out the only other service provider out here, 'vodaphone' or some crap like that, I avoided it because it has a contract, and a lot of Americans here have been hit with surprised fees, the euros can really hurt your hard earned money.

So, there you have it, any verizon smart phone with 4.0 comes unlocked by default for global use, just be warned the service is nothing near as good as it is in the US... damn the things I take for granted!

Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by 94lt1; 08-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Xfactorx316 likes this.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    [QUOTE=syndicate0017;2100165]*UPDATED* 6/26/2012 Motorola Razr/Maxx, Droid 4,HTC Rezound Will work on any GSM - Page 2 - xda-developers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE

I have a razr xt912, it has gms in the network selection list. So i would think it could be
    unlocke,flashed or hack to work on gms??? Will find out in a day or two hopefully!!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links