First you want to go to hashcode's site, and download SafeStrap 1.0 (version is 1.09 on install as of 02.28.12 for RAZR).
1. Make sure "allow 3rd party apps" is checked so you can sideload SafeStrap
2. Find the apk in your download folder.
3. Install the SafeStrap app.
4. Open the app from your app drawer.
5. Allow root access.
6. Select 'Install Recovery.' This should take a moment; when it completes, 'Recovery State' should show 'Installed.'
Now, you are ready to reboot into recovery.
1. Power the phone off and power it on.
2. You will come to a splash screen that states, 'press menu for recovery access.' You have 10 seconds, otherwise the phone boots normally.
3. Once you press the menu softkey, it will boot into ClockworkMod Recovery
4. From the main CWR menu, select backup and restore from the menu using volume up and down and power button to select.
5. Select backup.
You now have created a backup in CWR of your stock+root!
Switch to safe mode and Flash a ROM
The rundown: Essentially, this 'strap separates your userdata (/data and /system) in non-safe mode (stock if you will), from the ROM you will flash in safe mode.
Steps to make a backup in non-safe mode and safe mode are the same, but they CAN NOT be restored interchangeably.
1. Reboot the phone (manually or via an app; ATM reboot to recovery is NOT supported.)
2. At splash screen press menu key. You are now in CWR.
3. Select backup and restore.
4. Select backup.
5. Should take about 1-3 minutes here. This backup is contained on your SDcard-ext (the physical card, unless you don't have one; I need verification that it works without an SD.
You'll notice in a file explorer, that the backups are separated in /sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup/non-safe-xxx-xxx and (once you make one) /sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup/safe-xxx-xxx as they cannot be flashed interchangeably.
To flash a ROM:
1. Make sure the ROM .zip file is on your SDcard
2. Reboot and access recovery as above.
3. Select Safe System
4. Turn on Safe System (this should take a few minutes as it is copying the userdata to an unused partition)
5. Power off and reboot into recovery (have not verified this is acutally necessary)
6. wipe data (in main menu)
7. wipe cache (in main menu)
8. Select mounts and storage
9. Format /system
10. Back to main menu
11. Select Advanced
12. Wipe Dalvik Cache
13. Main Menu
14. Install zip (your ROM) from SDcard
15. Reboot (should take a good while to boot, up to 5 minutes)
To restore your stock system:
1. Reboot into recovery.
2. select Safe System
3. Turn off Safe System
At this time, the splash screen should show "Safe system: Disabled"
The backups you create in Safestrap are not compatible with any other recovery.
Hints and tips:
If you are having trouble getting Safestrap to install, or trouble installing Recovery, open Superuser app and click update binary.
If you are having trouble getting Recovery installed, you may need to update BusyBox. You can do that with this app from the market.
fishacura - For getting this started with the original guide for Bootstrapper!