DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Lapdock 500 Webtop 3.0 Tips & Tricks

1. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Team viewer is a remote access app that lets you control your pc, laptop, or tablet from your phone or from any of the devices to the other. It is free and works amazing. I'm sure it would work with the lapdock too.

No Jaybogg, I haven't gone to get the lapdock yet. Taking care of my parents and when I have the time to get away, I'm frantically trying to get stuff done at my house... and I'm still debating if I would really use it because I have my tablet and because I'm getting the Razr M and I've read that the lapdock will not work with the R-M. Doesn't make sense that Motorola would do that for their new devices but I may just take the time to check that out when I get the phone in the mail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Phone
    droid razr
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Team viewer is a remote access app that lets you control your pc, laptop, or tablet from your phone or from any of the devices to the other. It is free and works amazing. I'm sure it would work with the lapdock too.

No Jaybogg, I haven't gone to get the lapdock yet. Taking care of my parents and when I have the time to get away, I'm frantically trying to get stuff done at my house... and I'm still debating if I would really use it because I have my tablet and because I'm getting the Razr M and I've read that the lapdock will not work with the R-M. Doesn't make sense that Motorola would do that for their new devices but I may just take the time to check that out when I get the phone in the mail.

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it and if it doesn't work for your situation, it wouldn't make sense. I have almost a 11/2 yrs left on contract, unlimited data plan, its a perfect fit. I figured there was a compatibility issue or moto is dropping Webtop 3.0, or else they wouldn't be clearing these things out. Hopefully for you, there is a better product/software in the works for the new line-up of phones as I truly believe there is a niche for these devices. The ability to have internet on a netbook style device wherever you go is an unparalleled advantage. It negates the need for a wi-fi hotspot or a tethering plan ( ), everything is condoned by big brother, VZW, seeing as they sold it to me!

When I bought mine the saleslady tried the upgrade spiel, a wi-fi hotspot for dirt cheap w/ 5gb of data. I smiled at her and said that was the reason I was getting the lapdock, and why would I want to give up the unlimited plan for a device I didn't need. She pointed out multiple users, and I told her there was just me. She smiled and said she had to ask. She had a guy shadowing her so I think he was in training.

Hope all is well with your parents. My mom and dad came by for breakfast this morning and I am blessed they still have their health at 79 & 89 respectively.
    JB

Droid Forums, Droid RAZR Forum, sharpenin' the cuttin' edge of technology.
    After all, it ain't rocket surgery!!
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Hey Tis and JB:

Tis, if you're really going to get a RAZR M soon then you're wise to wait for verification of compatibility. It's very possible that Moto has something else up their sleeves. Although it's easy enough to get extender cables to mate the HDMI and USB connections, that might not be the issue. We tend to forget that the Webtop application actually resides on a partition on the RAZR's primary internal SD card. It's very possible that they won't even include it on future RAZRs.

Food for thought:

Like you, I also have a tablet (Toshiba Excite 10). It's wireless only. What I am most thrilled about with the Lapdock is the idea that I can use it anywhere without worrying about finding a hotspot. The other great thing is the real keyboard, which makes e-mail and other document-intensive activities way better than doing them on the excite. When I finally replace the RAZR, I'll still have what amounts to an ICS tablet with a keyboard by using my RAZR on wi-fi--exactly the way I use the Excite 10 now. It's like getting a very well made wi-fi HD ICS tablet for $50.

JB and Tis: Like you, I'm devoting an unusually large amount of time with my parents these days. It sounds like we're in the same age demographic here!
    jaybogg likes this.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Phone
    droid razr
    Here's a write-up confirming what we all suspected...Google Kills Off Motorola Webtop, Grabs Defeat from Jaws of Victory Verizon Fire Sales Lapdocks | PhoneNews.com

I will get my investment out of it I am sure. If Jellybean doesn't support Webtop, I may have to look at ways to avoid an upgrade if I decide I like the advantages of the lapdock, which so far seems to be the case.
    JB

5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Wow, I suspected something was up when they started selling the 500 for $150 early this year, went out of stock within days and then they were never available again.

I would bet that there will be ways to utilize webtop on future phones and with JB by rooting your phone. This also explains why the Razr M and Razr HD's will not be compatible with the lapdocks. But again, I bet you could add webtop on them if rooted.

One question, does the lapdock connect via the micro USB/charging port or via the HDMI port? If through the micro USB, I still may get the lapdock with the idea that I might be able to use it on a rooted Razr M.

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Phone
    droid razr
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Wow, I suspected something was up when they started selling the 500 for $150 early this year, went out of stock within days and then they were never available again.

I would bet that there will be ways to utilize webtop on future phones and with JB by rooting your phone. This also explains why the Razr M and Razr HD's will not be compatible with the lapdocks. But again, I bet you could add webtop on them if rooted.

One question, does the lapdock connect via the micro USB/charging port or via the HDMI port? If through the micro USB, I still may get the lapdock with the idea that I might be able to use it on a rooted Razr M.

It uses the dual connection like the car docks and HD docks. One cable with two fixed jacks that connects to both ports. I am rooted and also am wondering if I loaded webtop on Jellybean if it would work, or is tied to ICS. I have read that Jb is like a layer on top of the ICS kernel so it may not matter. As for the ability to connect, I saw a video on Youtube of someone running webtop rooted and aparently, all he was hooking up was the HDMI cable. That's about all I know so far, hope it helps ya Tis.
    JB

7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Guys, all you need to run webtop is a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable. I've done it on my high-def TV several times. No Lapdock or HD Dock required, although I own both, BTW. JB, I've got to read the link you posted. That story answers our pricing questions, for sure. My suspicion is that they realized that it was eating into possible future tablet sales.

Speaking as a guy who never throws out his old stuff--my OG Droid is serving as my wi-fi "Ipod killer" these days--I have every intention of continuing to use my OG RAZR as an ICS "tablet with a keyboard" long after the RAZR itself is discontinued.

I'm stuck at Miami airport right now on an 8-hour layover and using it to type this response.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Driod one, ICS Bionic
    I use the bionic dock and run xbmc for android on it and use my OG droid as remote its a cool setup for sure.
    I also use Paragon NTFS&HFS+ app to use more usb flash drives and usb Hard Drives.
    Super Video & Floating Browser apps are also very nice... these let you watch videos and surf the web and the same time.
    (I hate the floating browser icon )

Thanks for the hint about widgets....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by brom; 09-11-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added more info
    jaybogg likes this.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Brom, now you're just showing off!

JB, I just read that very well written article. The site is now on my bookmark list Great find. Thanks!
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    Hi,
    I called all the local VZW stores around here, and they are all out of the Lapdock 100. One store did find one in a store in a city 60 miles away, and are having it shipped there by Thursday. I guess I was just in time to get in on the $50 deal. I have a Razr Maxx with ICS. Should I expect any problems with Webtop 3.0? I see where some have big problems with 2.0 vs 3.0, and others think it is great. Also, I wonder if these will still work after the eventual JB upgrade?

Thanks,
    John
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links