I originally posted this on xda (Gingerbread on Droid Pro with Unlocked Froyo Radio - xda-developers) a few months back (with various edits throughout the months), but wanted to post it here as well since this site has more of the droid pro development work:
So, as people know, the newest builds of CM7 or CM9 by JackpotClavin require it to be placed on top of a fully updated Gingerbread Droid Pro. However, those of us with a US Band unlocked radio can't do that without losing our unlocked radio since there is no unlocker for the gingerbread radio. Based on what Axl did for the Droid 2 Global, I've created a gingerbread kernel based on the Droid Pro to allow us to install gingerbread roms while maintaining our unlocked radios. I've also created a clockworkmod backup that can be used as is, or as a base for installing another gingerbread rom such as CM7. Thanks to JohnS and dettofatto, the kernels and clockworkmod backups were updated to 4.7.3. Below are the Resources and the Process.
1) RDS Lite (xda-developers - View Single Post - RSD Lite 5.6)
2) SBF 2.26 (http://db.tt/5gKwCQwF)
3) TBH Radio Unlocker (TBH US GSM Band Unlock for Droid 2 Global and Pro Update.zip Public Release - MyDroidWorld - TBH_Band_Unlock_v2.0.zip)
4) Root (Pete's Motorola Root Tools)
5) Droid 2 bootstrap (Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap v188.8.131.52.apk)
6) Kernel (US http://www.mediafire.com/?swv4bl7wa47mpxg or EU http://www.mediafire.com/?w6963rmkvdqmro1)
7) ClockworkMod Backup (Verizon US http://www.mediafire.com/?yhr4b768qbnyote or European http://www.mediafire.com/?wn3pyy5fw3i1nr2)
8) Optional Roms - CM7 for Droid Pro ([ROM] [NEW] Cyanogenmod 7 for the Gingerbread Kernel) or Apex for Droid Pro ([ROM] *Updated*[PORT] ApeX 2.0 Release Candidate (RC4) (10/11/2011))
1) Boot to Recovery & Wipe Data (R+M+Power)
2) Boot to Bootloader (Up+Down+Power) & SBF to 2.26 (Using RSD Lite & SBF file) - Usually I have to copy SBF File to root of Hard Drive & name it 2026.sbf or it may fail (ymmv)
3) Skip Activation (Bypass activation on your Android device | Android Central)
4) Settings->Applications, Set Unknown Sources and USB Debugging (in development)
6) Install Bootstrap apk, open, press 'bootstrap recover'. then 'reboot recovery' to boot to recovery mode.
7) While in recovery mode, and without rebooting at all:
...a) Wipe Data
...b) Install Radio Unlock
...c) Install Kernel
...d) Restore Clockworkmod backup (you should have extracted the clockworkmod zip so the folder is located on your sdcard at [clockworkmod\backup\...] folder (with the system.img and other images under that folder))
8) Optional - Install cm7, apex or other rom you download
1) You can build your own Clockworkmod recovery file by following the JackpotClavin link below and then just backing up your build. It won't have signal while you're doing it (because of the locked radio), but after you restore it later using the above steps, it'll be fine.
2) Your SIM needs to be unlocked from verizon (i used sim-unlock.net) to work.
3) Info on an argentinian 2.3.6 rom here
JackpotClavin - CM7 for Droid Pro ([ROM] [NEW] Cyanogenmod 7 for the Gingerbread Kernel)
Axl - Created the Droid2 Kernel which allowed me to use the same method for the Droid Pro ([D2G] Gingerbread Hack For Us Band Unlockers - RootzWiki)
dettofatto - Clockworkmod backup and kernel for European 4.7.3
JohnS - Clockworkmod backup and kernel for Verizon US 4.7.3