DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 47 of 99 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: [6/6/2012] CM7 for the Droid Pro based on GB

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by _lurker View Post
    Jackpot, I know a thing or two about Android and linux too (but not to the point that I could deal with the 2nd-init stuff). I wonder if there is anything that makes glueing CM9 significantly easier/better compared to just glueing Vanilla AOSP, or it's just your preference to work with CM9?

From what I've seen, I think Android 4.0 Vanilla is actually usable now. Other than having the power control in the drop-down menu, I don't see much advantage of having CM9 compared to vanilla 4.0.

I'm gonna be relatively free on December (graduating yay) so maybe I will jump in and research on this Motorola stuff and will probably churn out ROMs too. If all is well, of course.
    Honestly, I agree with you. I think Google took a long hard look at CM and other custom ROMs, because there are a few things in ICS that originated in custom ROMs. Stock ICS pretty much has every feature that I like about CM7.

If you do end up making a vanilla ICS ROM, I'd be down to give it a try.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    I wonder what you have read from the Motorola Droid threads that made you finally able to implement 2nd-init.

By that I meant supposedly I have a rootfs (system image?) that is supposedly run well provided the phone doesn't have a locked bootloader. Now of course it won't run with out motorolas, so what kind of thing that you need to add to it to trick the phone into loading the 2nd init? I see 2ndinit.zip or something like that in /etc/ but I wasn't sure how the boot process works so I don't know how it got called and what makes motorola phones think that the 2nd init is something legit to load at boot.
  3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Well, I'm sure if CM9 will not be nearly as modified as much as CM7 was compared to stock 2.3. The cool thing about CM modifying the source is to allow even greater customization (like the ability to change backlight values and thresholds and the ability to change the launcher behaviors and whatnot) then stock allows. Many people don't use these features at all or don't even see them but they offer the choice for those who would like it. The special thing about CM7 compared to stock is that stock as of right now is only meant to build for the Galaxy Nexus which has different hardware than our phones. That, along with how 4.0 source needs to be modified in order to be reverse compatible with 2.3 or even 2.2 files that we take directly from our stock motorola builds (libcamera.so, gps.so, lights.venus2.so) just like how 2.3 source had to be modified for froyo proprietary files
    if you'd like to buy me a beer, you can donate here :P thank you!!
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Oh I see, so it means that we can't rebuild things like libcamera.so -- for example -- from source because we simply don't have source. But I guess because I saw kernel sourcecode from Moto on opensource.motorola.com -- everything else that we had source should be buildable, right?

So what it entails is that if we would build AOSP as it is now, modify build.prop for it so it fits the Pro and jam some 2ndinit stuff to convince the Pro to load it, and flash it to our phone we won't be able to use our camera, backlights and gps?
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    I did not write 2nd init, it was originally made by these genius developers for the Motorola Milestone (first device with locked bootloader, it's the GSM version of the OG Droid) and then the developer CVPCS ported it to the Droid X which also appear to work with all subsequent Motorola phones

What the locked bootloaders do is it has a signature in the boot.img file which contains the kernel (the backbone the system) and something called the ramdisk which contains a bunch of scripts necessary to boot the system and a file called init that Motorola made. Normally with phones that have an unlockable bootloader is they disassemble the boot.img and take the kernel and replace the ramdisk with a custom one for CM and reassemble it and flash it to the phone. However, making a custom boot.img will fail the signature checks and the phone won't boot. So what 2nd init does is it hijacks the boot process and unzips the hijack-boot.zip (which contains our ramdisk that we weren't able to modify) and unzips it after the signature check is completed so we can have a custom ramdisk that allows us to boot CM. It's kinda like a trojan horse but in a good way. Hope this helps : D
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by _lurker View Post
    Oh I see, so it means that we can't rebuild things like libcamera.so -- for example -- from source because we simply don't have source. But I guess because I saw kernel sourcecode from Moto on opensource.motorola.com -- everything else that we had source should be buildable, right?

So what it entails is that if we would build AOSP as it is now, modify build.prop for it so it fits the Pro and jam some 2ndinit stuff to convince the Pro to load it, and flash it to our phone we won't be able to use our camera, backlights and gps?
    Haha I thought that when I first got into developing but I'm afraid it's a lot more complex than that. Linux files have things called dependencies where many files refer to each other and when they are work in unison they create the libraries necessary to run Android. If one thing in the file is a little funky then the phone most likely won't even get past the M logo when you power on the phone
    _lurker likes this.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JackpotClavin View Post
    I did not write 2nd init, it was originally made by these genius developers for the Motorola Milestone (first device with locked bootloader, it's the GSM version of the OG Droid) and then the developer CVPCS ported it to the Droid X which also appear to work with all subsequent Motorola phones

What the locked bootloaders do is it has a signature in the boot.img file which contains the kernel (the backbone the system) and something called the ramdisk which contains a bunch of scripts necessary to boot the system and a file called init that Motorola made. Normally with phones that have an unlockable bootloader is they disassemble the boot.img and take the kernel and replace the ramdisk with a custom one for CM and reassemble it and flash it to the phone. However, making a custom boot.img will fail the signature checks and the phone won't boot. So what 2nd init does is it hijacks the boot process and unzips the hijack-boot.zip (which contains our ramdisk that we weren't able to modify) and unzips it after the signature check is completed so we can have a custom ramdisk that allows us to boot CM. It's kinda like a trojan horse but in a good way. Hope this helps : D
    Certainly. Thanks.

So what's the bare minimum needed in /system to trick the initramdisk to load 2nd-init? Sure there has to be something in /system that tells the motorola initrd to go ahead and unzip hijack-boot.zip and execute it on every boot, right?

From my understanding is that what 2ndinit does after it has successfully hijacked the init process it will check for
    /data/.recovery_mode, if it exists then boot to recovery, if it doesn't then boot to CM. Certainly not as elegant as normal recovery but bearable.

So into development, I think an important question to make my life less miserable is that: Can we make a 2ndinit so that it will pause for a couple of seconds and listen for a certain keystroke (or check if USB is plugged in or whatever we can do conditionally) on boot, if we hold the key down it will boot to recovery, if not it will proceed to CM? That way if I flashed a borked version I could always go to recovery if I mess up in the process of cooking and testing new ROMs. Certainly I don't know if I can bear with sbf_flashing and upgrading and rerooting and bootstrapping every freaking single time I mess up.

Or even easier, if that file does NOT exist then boot into recovery, if that file exists then boot into CM. Now that means if I have a major mess up but still have CWM working, I can simply go to the stock Motorola recovery and format data and it would trigger CWM to come up next time because that would remove the file.

Oh by the way I discovered two very nice tricks:
    - Alt Shift Backspace == Alt Control Delete
    - The menu for the new stock Motorola recovery won't bring up the menu when we press @ anymore. We have to call the menu by pressing Vol Up + Vol Down.

:P
    Last edited by _lurker; 11-14-2011 at 07:32 PM.
  8. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    They basically hijacked the boot process the same way they managed to get the clockwork recovery on the motorola phones (since the bootloader requires a signed recovery as well in order to boot) but instead of it telling the phone to run clockwork, it executes 2nd init

CVPCS also implemented into 2nd init an option to always boot into clockwork on reboot, and the only way you can boot the phone normally is to click the reboot now button in clockwork
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JackpotClavin View Post
    They basically hijacked the boot process the same way they managed to get the clockwork recovery on the motorola phones (since the bootloader requires a signed recovery as well in order to boot) but instead of it telling the phone to run clockwork, it executes 2nd init

CVPCS also implemented into 2nd init an option to always boot into clockwork on reboot, and the only way you can boot the phone normally is to click the reboot now button in clockwork
    That is fantastic, where can I find that special 2ndinit binary or how can I activate that mode?
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    well, if you fetch the android source it will be in the device/motorola/common folder https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...otorola_common when i get back into building i'll upload my source for you to have and i'll show you what you have to change to have persistent clockworkmod
Page 47 of 99 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast

Links