DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Droid X custom bootloader logos to replace Motorola logo

1. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810

Droid X custom bootloader logos to replace Motorola logo

Over in this topic we've been playing with using a custom SBF to replace the bootloader logo/image on the Droid 1 (bootloader image, not boot animation). A couple of folks have gotten adventurous and tried to do the Droid X. While the Droid X does indeed use the exact same scheme for it's CG42 (bootloader image), that doesn't mean you can use the same SBF. Hopefully if you tried it would just fail, but I could see it just as easily trashing the phone (the CDT between the two devices is wildly different).

So, the process of making the CG42 itself (helper) is the same, but the SBF is different.

Here are a couple SBF's to get you pointed in the right direction.

Note: Most of the code groups on the DX are signed and can't just be replaced at will. CG42 is not signed, so you can replace it without making the phone angry.

The original bootloader logo (package link in case you want to go back to stock at some point) looks like this:

I also made a custom one (package link) using the DF logo by Dandroid and Johndroid:

I would have also done TParker76's logo, but I figured someone might want to do that one "for homework".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droid X custom bootloader logos to replace Motorola logo-dxmotologo.png  
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid - Bugless Beast
    Awesome work as always!

This still leaves me wondering if we can figure out how to calculate the checksums without having to flash twice. Has anyone had any luck?
    OG Droid
    MIUI 0.12.11.0
    Stock Theme
    Custom Boot Logo
    Want one? Go HERE
    D1 and DX Sholes Checksum Calculator v1.0.0.1 by Shibbey!

Need a Dropbox with extra space?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound awaiting S4, S3
    awesome man!! could you please make me one with just the New York Yankees logo? that would be awesome! let me know thanks!!
  5. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by luke1333 View Post
    awesome man!! could you please make me one with just the New York Yankees logo? that would be awesome! let me know thanks!!
    The Lab isn't really all about that. We're all about helping discover how to do it yourself. Between the files in this topic, and the instructions here and here, you should have everything you need.

Let us know how you make out.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855 running Sapphire
    Or for requests, feel free to visit the links in Jlutz's sig or my own.
    I am determined to streamline this process even more. Motocache's script is a great tool. From what I discovered last night, his script could be put on steroids to completely create the SBF directly. Schoolwork tonight then, off to work on that mysterious checksum. Looking at your perl script messed me up when I went to do my C# homework. Lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibbey View Post
    Or for requests, feel free to visit the links in Jlutz's sig or my own.
    I am determined to streamline this process even more. Motocache's script is a great tool. From what I discovered last night, his script could be put on steroids to completely create the SBF directly. Schoolwork tonight then, off to work on that mysterious checksum. Looking at your perl script messed me up when I went to do my C# homework. Lol.
    Yeah, because reading Perl will make you not want to program in C#. Hahaha. Perl is awesome for some things, but C# is a great language to know.

I was going to write a CGI program where folks could upload their CG42.smg file and it would create a complete SBF for them (proper checksum and all) and push it back. Sounds like you've got the same notion. If you've got the free time for it, do it to it man. You've got the algorithm for the checksum -- honestly, that's the hard part so you should be all set.

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855 running Sapphire
    I had the same idea. More like a GUI in C# to upload an image to it or drag and drop. Alter it inside the GUI (crop, etc), display a preview and output a valid SBF ready to flash. I just need to finish figuring out that 16 bit checksum in the HMG file.

BTW, when did you change this thread to Droid X?? Lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  9. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibbey View Post
    I had the same idea. More like a GUI in C# to upload an image to it or drag and drop. Alter it inside the GUI (crop, etc), display a preview and output a valid SBF ready to flash. I just need to finish figuring out that 16 bit checksum in the HMG file.

BTW, when did you change this thread to Droid X?? Lol
    Didn't - there's two threads -- one for the X (this one) and the original one for the D1.

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855 running Sapphire

Oooops

Guess in my Tapatalk venturing, I migrated to the X one. Oh well, still all good info.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    GOT ONE!!! Thanks a million MotoCache1! Booting with the Pirate Droid with the gray background now.

Read through the "Hacking erroneous output of SBF Codec" thread and followed along. Then took a look at this. You gave a good hint in the beginning of this thread.

Used the RDL3_0x82000000.smg file from the known good (your file). You also mentioned that the CG42 files used the same process, so I unpacked one confirmed working for the Droid and used it. Repackaged them. The difference between the Droid and the X is the addresses of the files that it's overwriting I believe, so repackaged using an SBF that you uploaded that works for the X. Flashed, saw Code Corrupt error on my phone for the first time , changed the SBF's hex values to match the error log(this part had me stumped for a bit...was trying to change the hex values in the smg files, then repackage them but kept getting errors), then reflashed. Worked like a charm!

Now to go do damage control with my gf. Managed to completely ignore her for like 8 hours last night when I was reading through the other threads and following along before I finally got brave/confident/stupid enough to actually try flashing my phone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links