DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 7 of 203 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Hey Guys,

I rooted yesterday following this method, and am planning to install a rom/kernel today, but for some reasons my phone wont let me boot into recovery to make a nandroid backup. any ideas?

i think it may have something to do with adding rom manager. I was following these directions and think i messed up :

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...Motorola_Droid

maybe im in over my head
    Last edited by jerroedr; 08-25-2010 at 08:50 AM.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

This works great!

I had manually updated to FRG01B directly from the google servers and used easyroot to root the phone. I must have skipped a step somewhere because I could never get the # prompt in terminal or ADB. Apps requiring root, like wireless tether worked fine.

Anyway, I applied your clean sprecovery using RSDLite under Win7 64bit, applied the root update.zip from this thread - and all is well!

Apps requiring root work perfect, su in terminal gets me the # prompt, I can mount the fs -rw and rename the bloatware!

This is amazing work, MotoCache1! I learned a ton about the internals of the system along the way as an added bonus.

Thanks,
    Steve
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerroedr View Post
    Hey Guys,

I rooted yesterday following this method, and am planning to install a rom/kernel today, but for some reasons my phone wont let me boot into recovery to make a nandroid backup. any ideas?

i think it may have something to do with adding rom manager. I was following these directions and think i messed up :

Full Update Guide - Motorola Droid - CyanogenMod Wiki

maybe im in over my head
    What does it do when you power the phone on while holding x?
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    It went into a soft boot loop. It was a confliction between the two recovery managers. i flashed back to sp recovery removed rom manager and all is well. I was able to create my first nandroid backup! wootwoot!

now im scared to change my rom though! lol

like how do i pick the right one, do i need kernals also...its confusing. I was looking at the cyan mod because someone who has been really helpful (furbearingmammal) uses it. but i sincearly have no clue

Quote Originally Posted by Tallica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jerroedr View Post
    Hey Guys,

Full Update Guide - Motorola Droid - CyanogenMod Wiki

maybe im in over my head
    What does it do when you power the phone on while holding x?
    Last edited by jerroedr; 08-25-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: add on
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Picking the right ROM is a matter of what you're looking for in your phone. Every ROM is different and offers different features (and bugs ). Look around, try to find a feature list/changelog, and don't be afraid to try some.

As to kernels; you only need to change kernels if you want more speed, the one that's installed doesn't work very well, or your phone can't handle the ULV or LV kernel that you currently have installed.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    SOOOOOO many options! How do I know if a kernel isnt working properly?

or know what kernel a rom has?
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    You'll know if a kernel doesn't work.

Want a side-order of boot-loop with that software?

As for the rest, they should have the kernel specs listed somewhere.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    thank you mammalson

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    You'll know if a kernel doesn't work.

Want a side-order of boot-loop with that software?

As for the rest, they should have the kernel specs listed somewhere.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoCache1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcallis View Post
    I am not sure if that message was to me, but now time for an update. There is a reason why one virtualizes Windows. It is because no one should waste a decent machine on a problem OS.

Switching over to my handy ubuntu box, in a matter of seconds, SPRecovery was loaded on my phone. The issue came up with I attempted to load MotoCache's update.zip. It failed saying I was blocked from updating. When I REBOOTED, I was back to a very vanilla Bugless Beast 0.4. Keep in mind that I wiped user and cache data. Tried this several time and realized I am stuck with BB 0.4. Thank goodness for a nandroid backup.

So how does one do an update without being blocked? Afterall, FY or Chevy is calling my name!
    Fortunately, you are quite close and it sounds like you're just missing a simple step.

But, before I tell you what to do, did you use sbf_flash on your Ubuntu box? Just curious as I've not used it yet and if that's what you used, it's good to know it actually works.

The only "blocked" I can think of that you'd get in SPRecovery would be if you skipped this step:
    15. Now highlight "Allow update.zip Installation" and choose it. [It will appear to do nothing -- that's normal. If you're unsure if you clicked it or not, choose it twice, it won't hurt.]
    As far as what you had after rebooting, if all you did was flash SPRecovery, and your rooting install didn't go, then nothing else changed on your phone that would affect your BB.

Let me know (on both counts -- if the above fixes you and if you used sbf_flash).
    Yes, I am running under Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit. It seemed to load fine, but I still have the same issue. I wipedd data, then loaded your update (this time making sure to allow up date). Rebooted and still running BB 0.4 with default load. I quickly change out the update to LY 1.41 and wait for the magic. I reboot and still stuck on the default version of BB 0.4
    Did a nandroid restall and back to my original BB... Wondering what is going wrong?
  10. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Yes, I am running under Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit. It seemed to load fine, but I still have the same issue. I wipedd data, then loaded your update (this time making sure to allow up date). Rebooted and still running BB 0.4 with default load.
    OK, you've lost me. If you're running BB why are you doing this procedure? It is to root your phone. Your phone is already rooted.

I quickly change out the update to LY 1.41 and wait for the magic.
    I don't know what LY 1.41 is.

I reboot and still stuck on the default version of BB 0.4
    Sounds like your "LY 1.41" package (whatever it is) didn't do whatever it is you expected it to do.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
Page 7 of 203 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Links