DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 54 of 203 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffe65 View Post
    Thanks for explaining that; I'm beginning to understand how this is set-up. My question is, does the location of busybox, symbolic links, etc. have any effect when I get into SPRecovery, ROMs, and other fun things?
    Nope. No well behaved app should be trying to call busybox directly in a special location unless it is keeping its own copy (like Titanium Backup does). Anything that needs busybox should be "finding" it through the PATH. Incidentally, /system/bin appears before /system/xbin in the PATH ("echo $PATH" in a terminal window), so the version in /system/bin would be the one that would end up "prevailing".

Quote Originally Posted by jeffe65 View Post
    I get the impression the "1-click" methods may or may not lend themselves to what you want to do with the phone down the road; it helps to understand more of what you're actually doing.
    There is a certain bliss to ignorance, but I don't find it appealing.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto droid rooted
    First of all wanted to say thanks works great and was super easy to follow. Now I have a question to unroot incase it would be needed what would be the easiest way to do this?
    Again thanks for all the great work.
  3. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by scmtech View Post
    First of all wanted to say thanks works great and was super easy to follow. Now I have a question to unroot incase it would be needed what would be the easiest way to do this?
    That depends on why. What would come up that would require you to unroot? The term "unroot" by itself means too many things to different people.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Worked great on both phones upgraded to frg22. It is good to have root back. Only problem I had was copying the file to root on phone. I was looking for a certain file to put it in. I didn't think it would be as easy as copying to sd card and renaming. Great write up!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I have two questions

1. The PC system I will be using has XP pro on it , but the USB interface is 1.1 vice 2.0, will this have an effect when using RSD Lite?

2. What is the approximate amount of time between selecting "start" on RSD Lite and the reboot of the driod. Also what is the approximate of this after the droid reboots to "PASS" on RSD Lite?
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto droid rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoCache1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scmtech View Post
    That depends on why. What would come up that would require you to unroot? The term "unroot" by itself means too many things to different people.
    Well to remove the su. if for some reason i would need to take it back to verizon. But I now think I can answer my own question. I could always use the FRG01B.sbf then install the frg22.zip file. And again I think I am one of those people that just want to know that they can do something if they want to do it.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    i cant seem to figure this out ive been trying since last night and nothing maybe you guys could help, i read and re read the detailed steps but can seem to get it to root. i am running frg22d.

1. downloaded everything needed, 32 bit moto drivers, RSD lite, the complete root file,SPRecovery SBF for the Droid 1.
    2. i have renamed the Complete root file to "update.zip" and even tried just "update"

i can get into the SPRecovery but when i apply the update i get this.

(complete text whats on the error)
    --Install from SD card...
    Finding update package
    E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1(or /dev/block/mmcblk0
    (no such file or directory)
    E:Can't mount SDCARD:Update.zip
    Installation Aborted

8. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jr4000watts View Post
    i cant seem to figure this out ive been trying since last night and nothing maybe you guys could help, i read and re read the detailed steps but can seem to get it to root. i am running frg22d.

1. downloaded everything needed, 32 bit moto drivers, RSD lite, the complete root file,SPRecovery SBF for the Droid 1.
    2. i have renamed the Complete root file to "update.zip" and even tried just "update"

i can get into the SPRecovery but when i apply the update i get this.

(complete text whats on the error)
    --Install from SD card...
    Finding update package
    E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1(or /dev/block/mmcblk0
    (no such file or directory)
    E:Can't mount SDCARD:Update.zip
    Installation Aborted

battery pull doesnt fix it?
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    So when i get the error message do i pull the Battery then redo the process? sorry im learning and new to this.
  10. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jr4000watts View Post
    So when i get the error message do i pull the Battery then redo the process? sorry im learning and new to this.
    well just when it happens pull the battery, turn it back on, and try the update again. worked for me when i had that error

Links