DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 36 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid

Thumbs up worked

Great Job. One small hitch. I had the grayed out start button in RSD too. Moving the file to c:\ solved my problem (I'm running windows 7, 32-bit)

Thanks so much.

Hal
  2. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810

If you're struggling with RSD Lite not "seeing" your phone...

If you're struggling with RSD Lite not "seeing" your phone...

Go back to the OP and in item #3 of "things you're going to need", be sure to download the drivers in the first set of links -- the 4.6.5 drivers. As originally written it had links to Motorola's page for the 4.2.0 versions which is what is referenced in lots of guides. Well, I just rebuilt my dev workstation and for the last hour have been struggling with -- wait for it -- my RSD Lite not being able to see my phone. I was getting pretty frustrated and saying to myself "are you going to have to go post in your own topic to ask for help with this?" Finally I booted my old hard drive and noticed that the drivers I had installed were a lot newer, so I reinstalled the newer drivers and voila - popped up right away.

On my old build I was running the newer drivers from dumb-phone hacking from before I ever even had my Droid (for BitPim I think) and so I had never needed to do the step of installing the drivers that everybody else lists in their guides (and never realized mine were that much newer).

I'm going to update any other posts of mine I can find and also let the Rescue Squad guys know as well. No amount of port swapping or any other trick in this topic would make my phone recognize in RSD Lite until I put on the 4.6.5 drivers, so I'm sure this has messed someone else up as well.

Just because I can't let a post have any chance of being a reasonable size -- all other USB functions worked fine -- USB tethering, ADB, mounting SD card, etc -- it was only the RSD Lite that had a problem. The phone (when in bootloader mode) was even showing up as "Motorola Flash Interface" in the Device Manager, but RSD Lite completely ignored it.

My build is Windows XP Professional SP2 for whatever "yeah, I have the same thing" value it may have.

Hopefully this helps save someone some aggravation somewhere.
    Last edited by MotoCache1; 09-04-2010 at 02:17 AM.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    followed steps and it rooted. busybox not there. had to do it via titanium backup
    GS4
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    This has become better than one-click for root, as it is all-build encompassing. Anyone remember DroidRootHelper when it first came out and SPRecovery was at like 0.10.x or so and was updating every or every other day? What a nightmare that one was.

And just for kicks, it couldn't hurt to add what you wrote in post 349 to the OP. Just MHO.
  5. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
    followed steps and it rooted. busybox not there. had to do it via titanium backup
    Cool. I'm pretty sure I've not seen a "no busybox" yet. Did you get an error during the update.zip? Reason I ask is the busybox is installed with this command:

Code:
    assert(run_program("/system/xbin/busybox", "--install", "/system/xbin"));
    Since it's done via an "assert" the installer should report "fail" if it doesn't complete successfully.

What indicated to you that busybox was missing? I know Titanium Backup always prompts you to install their copy (assuming you hit the "Problems?" button as they recommend) even if you already have busybox, and even if your copy is identical to theirs (which in this case, it is, as I install the exact same one Titanium Backup does).

[Edited to add: also, Titanium doesn't install busybox for use by anything but itself - if you truly had no busybox after the process - which is unlikely - then even after letting Titanium copy on a version for its own use, you still don't have busybox available for general use.]

Lastly, did you see my response and attempted solution to your question? I have gone ahead and added it to the OP as Teddyearp seemed to second the notion, but if there is anything that should be added, let me know.
    Last edited by MotoCache1; 09-04-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1.4ghz oc
    Jeez that was simple. Quick question Does "Tethering" still work? cause when i got frg22d from Verizon and i could not tether any more a price plan showed up instead of my webpage. If i go back to frg22b will it work again?
  7. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkman6909 View Post
    Jeez that was simple. Quick question Does "Tethering" still work? cause when i got frg22d from Verizon and i could not tether any more a price plan showed up instead of my webpage. If i go back to frg22b will it work again?
    Under FRG22D if you turn on tethering and don't have a tethering plan you'll get that page. If you don't get the page under FRG22B, I wonder if you could just move a single "B" file to "D" to "fix" it, or if that would just let you use it without warning, but it is red flagging Verizon that you're doing it...

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    hey, I have a moto droid 1, and it has a factory fryo2.2 installed, i wanted to root it, then update it.
    i read your write up and its genius! but im kind of a newb at this so is there any videos out there to help with this? or like someone that could do it in person? i have the update zip already saved to my sd card so all i need is to root this thing.... thanks!
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 1

tethering works fine!

I originally used easy root to set up my 2.2 on Droid 1. I downloaded the program "wireless tether" and everything worked fine. Then I foolishly said yes to the OTA FRG22D build. It killed root and the easy root program could not restore it.
    I followed your procedure a few minutes ago and have gotten root permissions back with the OTA FRG22D software. (Yeah!!) tried my tethering program and it works perfectly and no screens come up from Verizon.
    I have not touched the Tethering settings under "Wireless & Network Settings" so maybe that is why mine is working.

MotoCache1 - do you have a place we can send donations for all of the time you've put in on this?
  10. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeybaby View Post
    hey, I have a moto droid 1, and it has a factory fryo2.2 installed, i wanted to root it, then update it.
    i read your write up and its genius! but im kind of a newb at this so is there any videos out there to help with this? or like someone that could do it in person? i have the update zip already saved to my sd card so all i need is to root this thing.... thanks!
    Post what city you're in -- maybe there's someone here that lives near you and would be willing to show you the ropes. It's really pretty simple (despite the 3000 word instruction post), but I can appreciate your apprehension.

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube you might find helpful, but this one: is pretty decent other than the tail end. He doesn't tell you anything that's going to hurt you, but at the end, rather than just disconnecting when it says boot your phone manually, when RSD Lite says "rebooting your phone", hold up on the dpad like you do to go into the bootloader and let the phone boot into the bootloader instead of free booting. If you miss it and the OS boots, just wait until it's up, then power down, and then boot into the bootloader -- RSD Lite will wait. Then RSD Lite will say "PASS" - which gives you a warm and fuzzy that all is right with the world.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by MotoCache1; 09-04-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Links