DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 26 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    @SlammedDime

greeknasty had the same issue with the same OS, etc. He posted his experiences earlier in the thread, I believe, and what he did to get it working.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please, I'd hate to be passing along false information!
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by SlammedDime View Post

Edit: I shortened the file name to 'recovery.sbf' and stuck it in c:\ and that did the trick... now have a start button... off we go...

Edit2: Rooting complete....
    Glad it worked for you! It worked for me but I wasn't sure if it would work for everyone.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bhughesiii View Post
    Excellent work! I flashed back to 2.0.1 then manually updated to 2.1-update1 hoping to get FRG01B, I woke up this morning and ended up with FRG22D! So, obviously I was miffed because I wanted to try Universal Androot. But then I found this guide and my FRG22D was rooted in no time!
    so you were at stock 2.1-update1, and woke up this morning with an update that changed you to FRG22D? Was it a single large file?
    Ya know what I didn't even check, it was 5:30 AM and my brain wasn't functioning properly, I just clicked install. Honestly I was expecting it to be FRG01B. But, when it rebooted and I checked about phone it said FRG22D.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Excellent work! I flashed back to 2.0.1 then manually updated to 2.1-update1 hoping to get FRG01B, I woke up this morning and ended up with FRG22D! So, obviously I was miffed because I wanted to try Universal Androot. But then I found this guide and my FRG22D was rooted in no time!
    so you were at stock 2.1-update1, and woke up this morning with an update that changed you to FRG22D? Was it a single large file?
    Ya know what I didn't even check, it was 5:30 AM and my brain wasn't functioning properly, I just clicked install. Honestly I was expecting it to be FRG01B. But, when it rebooted and I checked about phone it said FRG22D.
    But, you know for sure that you were on 2.1-update1 before you woke up at 5:30? These seems somewhat likely as I would think Verizon would want one big file to update to 22D if needed...
    Last edited by jntdroid; 09-01-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OGDroid -> Droid 3-> Bionic
    This may just confuse the matter but for 2 weeks prior to this thread being posted, I had tried numerous times to install SPRecovery. I have 32 bit Windows 7 and was using RSD 4.6. I was never able to get the Start button active using the downloaded name in the root directory. I read in one of the threads to try putting the download on my desktop and trying it from there. Still no-go until I tried another suggestion which was to put 3 or 4 spaces at the end of the extension and then backspace them out. That enabled the Start button and I was able to flash SPR. Of course, that only worked until I re-booted. The next time trying to flash SPR, I did the same thing and I couldn't get the Start button doing the spaces trick. So I tried changing the name to something else which was shorter (4 characters). That worked once and then the same problem and the same 4 character name would not give me the Start button. So I downloaded RSD 4.7 and tried more things. Nothing seemed to be consistant - sometimes a shortened name would work, sometimes not. Sometimes spaces at the end or anywhere in the middle of the name and then backed out would work - sometimes not.

Then came this wonderful thread and solution to our troubles. I took Moto's suggestion to use a specfic RSDlite 4.6. It was not the same zip that I had originally used (was a 7zip file rather than zip). I uninstalled RSDlite 4.7 and installed this 7zip RSDlite. The very first time I followed the OP instructions, everything worked. No problem what so ever with the file name Moto supplied and I have not had any more problems with any file name using RSDlite.

Don't know for sure what this all means, but it leads me to think that it had something to do with my original installation of RSDlite 4.6 that 4.7 didn't fix and it was only the total removal of RSD and reinstalling a different RSD download that corrected the problem.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

But, you know for sure that you were on 2.1-update1 before you woke up at 5:30? These seems somewhat likely as I would think Verizon would want one big file to update to 22D if needed...
    Absolutely sure, I had manually loaded the 2.1-update1 after flashing back to 2.0.1
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member

Absolutely sure, I had manually loaded the 2.1-update1 after flashing back to 2.0.1
    wonder if there's a file sitting in your cache still or if it clears it out upon install... *looks at motocache*

Guidelines of Conduct
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    I was wondering the same thing. I'd like a copy of FRG22D nonrooted full install.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGTR View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I'd like a copy of FRG22D nonrooted full install.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    If it does exist - which I'm guessing it does - I wonder if there's a google link like other OTAs... I know on FRG01B someone over at androidforums.com just simply figured it out based on the previous OTA links. So here's what we have so far (I'm taking out "https://"so it shows the full link in text):

FRG01B - android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-FRG01B-from-ESE81.e48e48ff.zip

FRG22D patch - android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-FRG22D-from-FRG01B.688e3520.zip

So maybe it can be figured out

Hmm... this might be getting a bit off topic for this thread...

Guidelines of Conduct
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Well, I tried but I can't figure it out. I think you have to know the whole file name...I hope someone posts it.
    As for off topic for this thread, I don't know but if the unrooted full-install FRG01B runs better than patched version, might not the full-install FRG22D be better to root? Or flash back to if you need to return your phone to VZW.!

sent via subspace radio

Links