DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 23 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Not true in an absolute sense, just not the FRG22D update -- and any other official ones will break your root as well as replace your custom recovery image. So, while you technically can use them, there's very little incentive to do so unless you have to run stock.

You can't "back up" stock recovery. The fastest and easiest way to get it back -- at present -- is to install the 79MB FRG01B update patch. Then you install whatever update you crave and re-root using this method. Or you could just install a rooted version of the OTA update, which generally hits within 24 hours of an update rolling out.
  2. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    You can't "back up" stock recovery. The fastest and easiest way to get it back -- at present -- is to install the 79MB FRG01B update patch. Then you install whatever update you crave and re-root using this method. Or you could just install a rooted version of the OTA update, which generally hits within 24 hours of an update rolling out.
    Actually, you can backup the stock recovery. And even without a backup, getting it back is easy if your phone had FRS and you are still running the original boot image (haven't replaced your kernel), as detailed in my prior post.

If there is any useful purpose for knowing how to back up and restore the recovery partition I could do a separate topic on it, but honestly, I can't see a purpose. Heck, I could make an SBF of just the stock recovery for that matter.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  3. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks guys for the response, especially for the very clear method for achieving what I was looking for

Now that I think it through from your explanation it probably makes the most sense to leave sprecovery flashed, and if a new "official" google update.zip becomes available, I can simply remove the recovery check/flash commands from updater-script since the zip file no longer needs to be signed to execute in sprecovery! Is this correct?

With this I can can still get the benefits of a custom recovery (such as full nandroid backup) but stay on the "stock" version of Android.
  4. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by log View Post
    Now that I think it through from your explanation it probably makes the most sense to leave sprecovery flashed, and if a new "official" google update.zip becomes available, I can simply remove the recovery check/flash commands from updater-script since the zip file no longer needs to be signed to execute in sprecovery! Is this correct?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by log View Post
    With this I can can still get the benefits of a custom recovery (such as full nandroid backup) but stay on the "stock" version of Android.
    That's what I do.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

5. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks again will probably give it a shot tomorrow and report in
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Excellent work! I flashed back to 2.0.1 then manually updated to 2.1-update1 hoping to get FRG01B, I woke up this morning and ended up with FRG22D! So, obviously I was miffed because I wanted to try Universal Androot. But then I found this guide and my FRG22D was rooted in no time!
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhughesiii View Post
    Excellent work! I flashed back to 2.0.1 then manually updated to 2.1-update1 hoping to get FRG01B, I woke up this morning and ended up with FRG22D! So, obviously I was miffed because I wanted to try Universal Androot. But then I found this guide and my FRG22D was rooted in no time!
    so you were at stock 2.1-update1, and woke up this morning with an update that changed you to FRG22D? Was it a single large file?
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  8. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    so you were at stock 2.1-update1, and woke up this morning with an update that changed you to FRG22D? Was it a single large file?
    Hmmm. If he only had to update once that would be an ESE81 to FRG22D file (or more likely just a "master OTA" FRG22D). It would be nice to have a copy of that file. My DEV Droid is on ESE81 right now -- guess I need to leave it on and see if it collects anything.

9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoCache1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Hmmm. If he only had to update once that would be an ESE81 to FRG22D file (or more likely just a "master OTA" FRG22D). It would be nice to have a copy of that file. My DEV Droid is on ESE81 right now -- guess I need to leave it on and see if it collects anything.
    my thoughts exactly!
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    thanks to all the help i really really appreciate it.
    im gonna feel really really dumb asking this but how do i boot into the OS on my moto droid?

Links