DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 21 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    SetCPU. Paid app in the market. Only way to overclock the Droid.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid: LFY 1.6 at 1.25Ghz
    Hey guys, seem to be having a small problem. I'm on a Droid 1 with Stock FRG22D. I can do all the steps, but when I get to the part where I install Update.zip it won't do it. It says It can't mount the SD card, and that the files not there. I know it's on the SD and it's driving me a little buggy. Anyway Any help would be welcome, and thanks.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFlow83 View Post
    Hey guys, seem to be having a small problem. I'm on a Droid 1 with Stock FRG22D. I can do all the steps, but when I get to the part where I install Update.zip it won't do it. It says It can't mount the SD card, and that the files not there. I know it's on the SD and it's driving me a little buggy. Anyway Any help would be welcome, and thanks.
    Sometimes when you get that error you forget to unmount sd card from PC!! i did that too the first time i did it. and when u transfer the update.zip file to your droid root DO NOT put.zip at the end because by nature the association is already built into the file.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Welcome to the forum!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by tschuller83 View Post
    Sometimes when you get that error you forget to unmount sd card from PC!! i did that too the first time i did it. and when u transfer the update.zip file to your droid root DO NOT put.zip at the end because by nature the association is already built into the file.
    Still not working. I'm not sure If I'm unmounting from the PC, is there a way I'm sure i've done it. Just keeps saying file not found and i've made sure it's just called "update". lol this is driving me insane.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Still not working. I'm not sure If I'm unmounting from the PC, is there a way I'm sure i've done it. Just keeps saying file not found and i've made sure it's just called "update". lol this is driving me insane.
    Do you need the phone plugged into the computer at this point in the cycle? If not, yank it.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Help? all the steps went perfect, until i got to the last 2 steps. i click on "Allow update.zip Installation". then i choose "Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)" and it always says instalation aborted. any thoughts to what is going on?
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    yeah made sure it's yanked, still nothing.
  9. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    DarkFlow83 and blazednova, do you have ADB installed on your machine? I think from now on that's going to be my first step for "installation aborted" and "file not found". For me, it's the surest way to be sure you're seeing the actual filename and make sure that the file is the right size and in the right place. We're going to do things "old school" in this post and do everything at the command prompt.

There should be plenty of posts about installing ADB, so if you've already got it on, or once you've got it on:

1. With your phone attached to your PC's USB port and booted into the OS like normal (not in recovery)
    2. Ensure USB Debugging is enabled on the phone
    3. Go to a command prompt in Windows
    4. Type "adb shell" [ENTER]
    5. Type "cd /sdcard" [ENTER]
    6. Type "ls -l update.zip" [ENTER]
    7. Type "exit" [ENTER]

As a result of step #6 you should see a single file named "update.zip", not "update", not "update.zip.zip", and not any other name -- and the file should be 908,324 bytes.

If that is not what you see, then do this:

1. Still in a Windows command prompt, "cd" to wherever you have the zip file. So, if you know the zip file is in "My Documents", then you would type "cd c:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\My Documents\" [ENTER]. You should see that your prompt changes from "C:\>" (or whatever it was) to "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents>".
    2. Type "adb push MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip /sdcard/update.zip" [ENTER]
    3. Repeat steps #4-#7 of the first list and make sure the file is named right and is the right size.

Once you know that you've got the right file in the right place with the right name, go back and pick up at Step #12 of the OP. Of course you may end up having to back up further and re-flash recovery but the steps will guide you.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  10. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    and when u transfer the update.zip file to your droid root DO NOT put.zip at the end because by nature the association is already built into the file.
    This is not categorically true. By default Windows operates in what I call "dummy mode" and hides your file extensions from you. This is a horrible idea for more reasons than I care to type. To disable this bit of Windows idiocy, see this post. At least that's how you do it in XP. If Windows Vista/7, etc. is different I'm sure you can Google how to unhide file extensions.

I think I may make that Step #1 of every procedure that involves an update.zip file -- "be sure your Windows is not configured to hide file extensions".
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way

Links