DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 191 of 203 FirstFirst ... 91 141 181 189 190 191 192 193 201 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2025
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Workodactyl View Post
    I hope I'm not in trouble.

I followed this sticky word for word, Installed RSD Lite 4.6 unzipped the .sbf file. I copied the update.zip and did all the steps. Everything went well and I'm currently attempting a nandroid default back up.

But now Im reading these later posts that say, don't do steps 5 and 7 and 9... Im flashing a 2.01 on a 2.2 rom and what have you?

Did I just kill my phone? I'm waiting for my phone to finish backing up but I'm not sure what i just did since I am running FroYo 2.2.2 and now I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice would be great, thanks!
    If you use the file:

MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip

Which is *included* in the first posting, you are in absolutely, positively, unequivocally not in trouble at all!*

With this file DO follow steps 5, 6, 7 and so forth. If you've flashed SPRecovery, and not the update.zip file, if you reboot, I believe it'll return
    you completely to stock. It's only after you've flashed Moto's update.zip does the thing stick.

I used these files and followed all the steps, and my phone is rooted and functional, and it still says "Android version: 2.2.2"!

RE: GPA 16 bootloop... I hear you have to wipe everything a couple of times before installing and that should do the trick. I don't know for sure since I've not put on anything other than the MC1 update zip

* Unless you do something silly like pull the battery or cable out while the flashing is in progress ;-)
    Last edited by DoctorDeDroid; 07-29-2011 at 01:06 PM.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDeDroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Workodactyl View Post
    I hope I'm not in trouble.

I followed this sticky word for word, Installed RSD Lite 4.6 unzipped the .sbf file. I copied the update.zip and did all the steps. Everything went well and I'm currently attempting a nandroid default back up.

But now Im reading these later posts that say, don't do steps 5 and 7 and 9... Im flashing a 2.01 on a 2.2 rom and what have you?

Did I just kill my phone? I'm waiting for my phone to finish backing up but I'm not sure what i just did since I am running FroYo 2.2.2 and now I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice would be great, thanks!
    If you use the file:

MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip

Which is *included* in the first posting, you are in absolutely, positively, unequivocally not in trouble at all!*

With this file DO follow steps 5, 6, 7 and so forth. If you've flashed SPRecovery, and not the update.zip file, if you reboot, I believe it'll return
    you completely to stock. It's only after you've flashed Moto's update.zip does the thing stick.

I used these files and followed all the steps, and my phone is rooted and functional, and it still says "Android version: 2.2.2"!

RE: GPA 16 bootloop... I hear you have to wipe everything a couple of times before installing and that should do the trick. I don't know for sure since I've not put on anything other than the MC1 update zip

* Unless you do something silly like pull the battery or cable out while the flashing is in progress ;-)
    Awesome! thanks for the reassurance. Everything seems to be okay... My PDA net doesn't seem to be working. but I'm glad my phone is.

So I guess now I can do Cyanogen Mod now if I want to dive deeper down the rabbit hole.

So I've completed all the steps in Post 1 and it appears to have been done successfully. I guess my next step is to use ROM Manager to Backup Current Mod, Flash ClockworkMod recovery? and then Reboot into recovery and install latest Cyanogenmod that's on my SD Card, right? or is there another step in there I should be focused on or missing?

Thanks

Edit: I found these steps on Cyanogenmod's wiki:
    Method via ROM Manager
    Launch RomManager.
    Optional: Choose the first option in the app, Flash ClockworkMod Recovery to update to the latest version.
    Select the Download ROM option from the main menu in the ROM Manager.
    Select the CyanogenMod option, and then choose the latest version of CyanogenMod from the menu.
    Optional: When you select the latest version of CyanogenMod, check the Google Apps* option.
    Once the ROM is finished downloading, it asks if you would like to Backup Existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache.
    If Superuser prompts for root permissions check to Remember and then Allow.
    The Motorola Droid will now reboot into the recovery, wipe data and cache, and then install CyanogenMod. When it's finished installing it will reboot into CyanogenMod.

Since I have SPRecovery, will this not flash correctly? Or should I just follow these steps and be just fine?
    Last edited by Workodactyl; 07-29-2011 at 02:32 PM.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I'm still on sp recovery... but afaik flashing another recovery will replace sprecovery.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    Hey guys, talking about flashing roms here is straying off topic.

But since I'm here, you can flash CM with SP recovery. You dont necessarily need rom manager. RM is known to have issues. I would download the rom to my pc, then rename it update.zip and place it on the root of the sd. One thing about using RM is that a small hiccup in the phones data connection can cause problems for you. A pc is more reliable. If you do have problems with the rom after using RM, just download the rom again and start over.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    That's why I was talking about flashing recovery :-) But point taken.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Ah I'm sorry I didn't mean to stray from the topic, I'm really just figuring this stuff out for the first time. I appreciate all the help! I'm gonna try to work on it some more tomorrow.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    DROID 1
    Finally done, root'd&rom'd. (Self High Five)
    Sent from another, used DROID... DROID 4.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Wow very nice, thank you very much. I figured I'd try to help out with a problem I ran into when first doing this though. Some how I managed to get a version of Rsdlite just a little bit earlier than 4.6. Just wanted to let you know if anyone gets an error like failed flashing unable to initialize using ini file, or something along those lines updating to version 4.6 solved that for me. I was using a windows xp system if anyone wanted to know. Thanks again for the post, it was very helpfull.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

Smile

Hi guys, new to the forum I just have 1 quick question.

My brother gave me his droid 1 (because he bought an iphone and now has Verizon) he flashed it for me at a metro pcs...since I am new to the droid i recently found out about rooting. I currently only have talk and text and want to add internet and mms but it must be rooted to follow those instructions.

If I follow these instructions to root my phone will I lose my metroflash? Thanks in advance. Have a nice day
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    Quote Originally Posted by greengaze View Post
    I currently only have talk and text and want to add internet and mms but it must be rooted to follow those instructions.

If I follow these instructions to root my phone will I lose my metroflash? Thanks in advance. Have a nice day
    Rooting your phone shouldn't affect your metro flash.

good luck
Page 191 of 203 FirstFirst ... 91 141 181 189 190 191 192 193 201 ... LastLast

Links