DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 126 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 2025
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    I am truly a beginner when it comes to rooting the Droid, and have been reading the forums here trying to start to get a handle on the whole Droid rooting scene, but it is confusing due to the million threads and different subforums here. My main objective is to overclock my Droid 1, and apparently I need to be rooted to do that, so here I am.

My main concern is right now is, will I lose my current phone setup if I do this root process? I want to keep my phone call log, browsing history, bookmarks, shortcuts, etc. I just don't have much time at the moment to do so much reading without finding some concrete answers, so any advice is much appreciated.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    All this method does is provide root access and replaces your stock recovery image with the custom recovery image SPRecovery, which allows you to make uber backups called nandroids and the ability to flash custom ROMs in the future. It doesn't, by itself, impact your user data.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    All this method does is provide root access and replaces your stock recovery image with the custom recovery image SPRecovery, which allows you to make uber backups called nandroids and the ability to flash custom ROMs in the future. It doesn't, by itself, impact your user data.
    So I could go through the process in the first post of this thread, and have everything be the same on my phone as it is right now, with the addition of being rooted and the other advantages you stated?
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Exactly right. Then you can install SetCPU and overclock to 800MHz top-end, set up a screen-off profile with a max speed of 400MHz, and save some battery while still getting more snap from your phone. (I saw your other post).

Have no fear, this method will not screw your phone up unless you do something wrong.
  5. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    +1! Root itself doesn't change your info, just what you have access to. Make sure the first thing you do after you root is make a backup! Can't stress that enough!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    Thank you, guys... I started to go through the process outlined in this thread the other night but stopped because of these questions. Honestly I'd like to get into some custom roms as well but for now I'd be thrilled with the OC.

And to the point about backup.. now that's another question I'll have to research! Thats the nandroid backup?

Again, thanks for the handholding. This is the only decent phone I have at the moment and I don't want to mess it up since I use it every day to listen to music and whatever else while at work.
    Last edited by kdub; 12-22-2010 at 06:39 PM.
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Good luck. We're here to help.
  8. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    When you decide to go that route, let me know..I have some apps for keeping your info when flashing ROMs!

Quote Originally Posted by kdub View Post
    Thank you, guys... I started to go through the process outlined in this thread the other night but stopped because of these questions. Honestly I'd like to get into some custom roms as well but for now I'd be thrilled with the OC.

And to the point about backup.. now that's another question I'll have to research! Thats the nandroid backup?

Again, thanks for the handholding. This is the only decent phone I have at the moment and I don't want to mess it up since I use it every day to listen to music and whatever else while at work.

DroidForums junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid DOES!! View Post
    When you decide to go that route, let me know..I have some apps for keeping your info when flashing ROMs!
    Thanks! I'll be off work tomorrow so I'll probably work on it then. Meaning I'll be back here as well.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    We never close.

Good luck.

Links