DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 125 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 2025
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    *The* not "exams"... lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    I'm having problems as well (Moto Droid 1). I used this method "Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version" originally on Froyo and everything worked perfectly. Now I am getting the truly annoying update message.

I have the file "bede60e851bb.signed-voles-FRG83D-from-FRG22D.bede60e8.zip"
    I've unziped it, and edited the "updater-script" commenting out line 1054 "# package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");"
    and adding "set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");"
    I then rezip the files into update.zip. In SBRecovery on my phone I get the following:

Finding Update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    Installation aborted.

No real error, and no real results. I've selected the option to allow update.

Some questions:
    Should I use Notepad++ ANSI or UNICODE? Are there any setting in N++ that I need to change?
    I've used both WinZip and WinRAR to create the update.zip; which is preferred?
    Are there any special settings I need to set for the zip archive?

I have a Droid 1
    Rooted Froyo
    Stock ROM
    0 Customizations
    I do not want to change ROMS, I don't want to stay on my current version. All I want is ROOT on FRG83D.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    D3, D1, XOOM
    Go to custom roms section, under metickone, there is a stock rooted frg83d rom (odexed). Download update.zip and install thru Sprecovery.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    I used winzip, and the 32 bit Motorola driver on my HP, and everything worked fine. Got my Droid rooted in no time.

5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    PLEASE HELP! I had rooted my phone (again) using z4root, and when the OTA update came, I had flashed SPRecovery 0.99.3b using the Flash Alternate Recovery option in ROM Manager. Then I accepted the OTA and it blocked it. A few days later it popped up again, so I accepted it again, thinking that it would block it again, but it didn't. So now I've lost root AND my phone has become incredibly slow and buggy.

So, I've been trying to Reroot my droid using this method. I have a Windows Vista 32 bit. I've followed all the steps exactly in the Detailed Procedure up to #6. The problem is I am unable to run RSD Lite as an Administrator. I did look down to the FEI #4 and followed it to post #48, but my User Account Control was already enabled. And my Run As Adminstrator option is still grayed out. It is located by right clicking on the shortcut, clicking on properties, and clicking on Advanced in the Shortcut tab. It seems to be the only place it is located in the properties, nor can I find it the Run as Administrator option anywhere else.

Any ideas to help please? My phone was running great and is now almost unusable!

Thanks!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    I had the same problem. You might not like to hear this, but you might have to do a factory reset (like I did) in order to regain stability, before rerooting. Hopefully you have backups for your apps, otherwise you'll have to download everything again. After the factory reset, I had no problems getting rooted again...

7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acceler8 View Post
    I'm having problems as well (Moto Droid 1). I used this method "Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version" originally on Froyo and everything worked perfectly. Now I am getting the truly annoying update message.

I have the file "bede60e851bb.signed-voles-FRG83D-from-FRG22D.bede60e8.zip"
    I've unziped it, and edited the "updater-script" commenting out line 1054 "# package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");"
    and adding "set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");"
    I then rezip the files into update.zip. In SBRecovery on my phone I get the following:

Finding Update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    Installation aborted.

No real error, and no real results. I've selected the option to allow update.

Some questions:
    Should I use Notepad++ ANSI or UNICODE? Are there any setting in N++ that I need to change?
    I've used both WinZip and WinRAR to create the update.zip; which is preferred?
    Are there any special settings I need to set for the zip archive?

I have a Droid 1
    Rooted Froyo
    Stock ROM
    0 Customizations
    I do not want to change ROMS, I don't want to stay on my current version. All I want is ROOT on FRG83D.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    First, apologize to your Droid.

APOLOGIZE!!!

Now, install a non-raped version of the update file, apologize to your Droid again, then follow this guide to reroot it. It works fine. Heck, it probably takes less time to do than what you just did, and your phone is already hooked to the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by pistacio View Post
    Go to custom roms section, under metickone, there is a stock rooted frg83d rom (odexed). Download update.zip and install thru Sprecovery.
    He just said he didn't want a ROM. That's not going to help.

Quote Originally Posted by rsdroid View Post
    PLEASE HELP! I had rooted my phone (again) using z4root, and when the OTA update came, I had flashed SPRecovery 0.99.3b using the Flash Alternate Recovery option in ROM Manager. Then I accepted the OTA and it blocked it. A few days later it popped up again, so I accepted it again, thinking that it would block it again, but it didn't. So now I've lost root AND my phone has become incredibly slow and buggy.

So, I've been trying to Reroot my droid using this method. I have a Windows Vista 32 bit. I've followed all the steps exactly in the Detailed Procedure up to #6. The problem is I am unable to run RSD Lite as an Administrator. I did look down to the FEI #4 and followed it to post #48, but my User Account Control was already enabled. And my Run As Adminstrator option is still grayed out. It is located by right clicking on the shortcut, clicking on properties, and clicking on Advanced in the Shortcut tab. It seems to be the only place it is located in the properties, nor can I find it the Run as Administrator option anywhere else.

Any ideas to help please? My phone was running great and is now almost unusable!

Thanks!
    Question. Are you already on an account with Administrator access? If so, don't you think you're already running apps as an Administrator? If you can not get administrator access you can't follow this method to root. There are other options, however. I can provide via PM.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    First, apologize to your Droid.

APOLOGIZE!!!

Now, install a non-raped version of the update file, apologize to your Droid again, then follow this guide to reroot it. It works fine. Heck, it probably takes less time to do than what you just did, and your phone is already hooked to the PC.
    It's easier to apologize than ask for permission... However, I will try your advice. I've read that editing the update.zip file does indeed work, do you have any insight as to why it would fail for me? Fear not, I'm moving on with your advice; I'm simply curious.

Thanks!
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Just trying to get a small smile.

Actually, yes -- Windows and Unix/Linux don't agree on what a text file's formatting should be. When you saved whatever files you edited under Windows the formatting got borked and SPRecovery couldn't recognize the changes.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdroid View Post

Thanks!

Question. Are you already on an account with Administrator access? If so, don't you think you're already running apps as an Administrator? If you can not get administrator access you can't follow this method to root. There are other options, however. I can provide via PM.

Thanks for the help! I just solved my problem, sort of. Was in the Verizon store for something else, and walked out with the Incredible. Had been sitting on two upgrades anyhow, waiting for the Merge/Incredible HD and hadn't played with the Incredible much. I did while in there, and ended up going for it. Will probably sell my D1 after the 30 day trial on the Incredible.
    I really enjoyed my D1 and learned a ton from everyone on here! Just ready to move on.

Thanks for the help!

Links