DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 12 of 203 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    And let us not forget that Virtualbox is our friend...
  2. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    VZW Moto Droid + N900 ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by gavron View Post
    sbf_flash doesn't work on my 64-bit Ubuntu box. It "error 16"s twice and fails to detect the phone.

I don't have any 32-bit installations to test with...

E
    ubuntu 9.04 i386 live -- fails same way
    ubuntu 9.04 x86_64 live -- fails same way
    ubuntu 10.04 x86_64 -- fails same way
    fedora 13 i686 -- fails the same way

No matter what it keeps saying it's waiting for the phone. I've tried recovery console, normal boot, still won't detect it. (adb works fine so I know the cable/USB is good.) Test on a fresh laptop with no adb also.

E
    Edit: tested Fedora 13 live. Also fails same way.
    Last edited by gavron; 08-27-2010 at 05:41 AM.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Alright, so would it just be smarter to download roms and use the "Install ROMS's off the SDcard" option in ROM manager?
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ding007 View Post
    Alright, so would it just be smarter to download roms and use the "Install ROMS's off the SDcard" option in ROM manager?
    If you have a working CW recovery, yes
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    @skylordusa1

How long is long? If it was less than 15 minutes then you didn't wait long enough. That update takes a long time to gel the first time if you didn't do the wipe. I forgot to warn about that, but if you don't mind having it back to stock-like-new, no harm no foul.

Glad to help.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid1-SourceryROM/RZRecocery
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    The only reason you'd need to do this if you're already rooted is to put a custom recovery image on a phone with bootloader 2C. 7C.

It is safe to do so if you are rooted, however, as this is the ONLY way to get a custom recovery image on a phone with that bootloader. Once you have SPRecovery on you can then flash ClockworkMOD Recovery via ROM Manager if you wish to work with ROM Manager.
    Rooted 2.2 without SPRecovery. Kinda like SPR bootloader and have used it in the past. So are there any advantages/disadvantages to working with ClockworkMOD as opposed to SPR or is it just a personel thing ?
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by segdoh49 View Post
    The only reason you'd need to do this if you're already rooted is to put a custom recovery image on a phone with bootloader 2C. 7C.

It is safe to do so if you are rooted, however, as this is the ONLY way to get a custom recovery image on a phone with that bootloader. Once you have SPRecovery on you can then flash ClockworkMOD Recovery via ROM Manager if you wish to work with ROM Manager.
    Rooted 2.2 without SPRecovery. Kinda like SPR bootloader and have used it in the past. So are there any advantages/disadvantages to working with ClockworkMOD as opposed to SPR or is it just a personel thing ?
    No real appreciable advantage. You have to do "update.zip" for SPR and you don't have to rename for CW. Other than that, nothing worth noting except CW's integration with ROM Manager. ROM Manager isn't as stable as most people think, however, so it's not the best thing for people who want their phones to "just work" with everything. CW/SPR, doesn't really matter, but SPR "just works".
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    [quote=viper3773;777753]
    Quote Originally Posted by viper3773 View Post
    i'm new to rooting.. is their any downsides of rooting with the 1 click software?

thanks.
    Yes, THERE ARE downsides to using one of the one-click apps. However, since you're using an LG Dare, are you sure it's running Android? If not, "rooting" may not be an option to you. If it is, you may be stuck running one or using ADB.
    Sorry, I currently have the dare but plan on getting the X soon

What are the downsides of the one click root? I am very curious for anyone to say, thanks !
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid1-SourceryROM/RZRecocery

No real appreciable advantage. You have to do "update.zip" for SPR and you don't have to rename for CW. Other than that, nothing worth noting except CW's integration with ROM Manager. ROM Manager isn't as stable as most people think, however, so it's not the best thing for people who want their phones to "just work" with everything. CW/SPR, doesn't really matter, but SPR "just works".
    So if I understand this correctly, if I just follow the this proceedure to the "T" to get the SPRecovery loaded and stop there without loading the update.zip (since I'm already rooted with easy root) and it should fly with my 2.2 ota. ??? I was under the impression that you couldn't load SPR if you were running 2.2 already. Or is this the exception....
  10. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member

So if I understand this correctly, if I just follow the this proceedure to the "T" to get the SPRecovery loaded and stop there without loading the update.zip (since I'm already rooted with easy root) and it should fly with my 2.2 ota. ??? I was under the impression that you couldn't load SPR if you were running 2.2 already. Or is this the exception....
    No, the update.zip roots the phone, but it also disables, what Motocache has dubbed "FRS", which will overwrite your recovery image every reboot if on 2.2 OTA, unless you run the update.zip

Links