DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 115 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 2025
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazmat1121 View Post
    Is there a way to do this on a Mac instead of a Windows/Linux computer? I have not put Windows on my Mac yet so all I have is the Mac OSX
    Not without bootcamp or parallels I believe.

Sent from my X
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Linux live CD and the SBF Flashing program noted in the first post.
  3. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
    i havent gotten this update yet ... if i get ot and install, will this method still work to reroot the fone ?
    This method will always work (it says any version doesn't it? ) but you can save some time with some work beforehand as this update will overwrite your custom recovery and remove root access.

Edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script in the FRG83D update.zip to keep your custom recovery and root access, then install the update.zip using SPRecovery.

Changes:

Line 1054 (comment with # or delete entirely)
    Code:
     package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");
    Add bolded after line 1058
    Code:
    set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");
    set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
    set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");
    Note this will only work if you haven't messed with your FRG22D too much, mainly that no system apps have been removed. You can still get it work if you uninstalled some apps, you just have to find the lines that patch that app and remove them from the script.
    Last edited by log; 12-10-2010 at 11:01 AM.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @ViolentRotation
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus!
    Where is the update stored on my phone? Is there a 'system downloads' or something similar where I can find the OTA?
    “When angry, count to four. When very angry, swear"

-- Mark Twain

5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Its in the /cache directory with a really long file name

I updated this am using the ota update without having to lose root and it was pretty painless. I oopened up the update archive and removed the updates to system apps I've removed and then appied the update. Before rebooting I mounted the sd card as a device then I took motocaches update zip and remove the install stuff for busy box or superuser to prevent stock recovery from kicking in and now I'm happily updated.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by SlammedDime View Post

I updated this am using the ota update without having to lose root and it was pretty painless. I oopened up the update archive and removed the updates to system apps I've removed and then appied the update. Before rebooting I mounted the sd card as a device then I took motocaches update zip and remove the install stuff for busy box or superuser to prevent stock recovery from kicking in and now I'm happily updated.

That would work also -- everyone else just keep in mind that you MUST go directly back into your custom recovery and apply MotoCache's zip before booting to your FRG83D system the first time, otherwise you will need to do the entire (sbf) process again.

The technique I mentioned essentially just makes sure that the OTA update does not disable your root, and you can do the update in one pass.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @ViolentRotation
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus!
    Quote Originally Posted by log View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlammedDime View Post

That would work also -- everyone else just keep in mind that you MUST go directly back into your custom recovery and apply MotoCache's zip before booting to your FRG83D system the first time, otherwise you will need to do the entire (sbf) process again.

The technique I mentioned essentially just makes sure that the OTA update does not disable your root, and you can do the update in one pass.

So this needs to be done if you use log's method above?

**EDIT** LOL , I mean your method.....didn't notice you had replied as well.
    Last edited by BoxcuttaStyle; 12-10-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    “When angry, count to four. When very angry, swear"

-- Mark Twain

8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    log's method is ideally the way to go... I did it the way I did so that I would have the newest recovery script on my phone in case I decided to de-root for any reason... using log's method, you don't get the new stock recovery script.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    dohdohbird
    Phone
    moto droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ccpardue View Post
    First time rooter. Went quick and was painless. Thanks for the info!

Same here, Although it took me a few tries. Thanks to whomever the heck gets this stuff to work and to all the people who are here answering questions.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by log View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
    i havent gotten this update yet ... if i get ot and install, will this method still work to reroot the fone ?
    This method will always work (it says any version doesn't it? ) but you can save some time with some work beforehand as this update will overwrite your custom recovery and remove root access.

Edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script in the FRG83D update.zip to keep your custom recovery and root access, then install the update.zip using SPRecovery.

Changes:

Line 1054 (comment with # or delete entirely)
    Code:
     package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");
    Add bolded after line 1058
    Code:
    set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");
    set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
    set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");
    Note this will only work if you haven't messed with your FRG22D too much, mainly that no system apps have been removed. You can still get it work if you uninstalled some apps, you just have to find the lines that patch that app and remove them from the script.
    I'm attempting to install the OTA update using your instructions here but am coming up short. My Droid is running 2.2 rooted with the method at the begining of this thread (worked perfectly!). I've edited the updater-script in the FRG83D OTA update with the information above. I removed the line with package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system"); and added the line with set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su"); immediately after line
    set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");.
    When I attempt to run the update.zip from within SPRecovery I get this message:
    -- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    Installation aborted.

Any ideas?
    I opened the updater-script in the update.zip file I copied to the root of my sdcard just to make sure those changes I made were there- and they were.

Edit: I have not removed any system apps. Just to make sure I went through the system folders referenced in updater-script line by line and verified that all referenced apps/files were actually present on my phone. I don't think it's even getting that far though.
    Last edited by parrish; 12-11-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Links