DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTA FRG83G Files

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

OTA FRG83G Files

Does anyone have a link to the update.zip for FRG83G (2.2.2)?

Thank you.

3. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Don't have the official Google CDN link but here it is mirrored --

FRG83D -> FRG83G
    http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/sig...rom-FRG83D.zip

Full OTA
    http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/sig...FRG83G-ota.zip
    Last edited by log; 03-17-2011 at 01:15 PM.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by log View Post
    Don't have the official Google CDN link but here it is mirrored --

FRG83D -> FRG83G
    http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/sig...rom-FRG83D.zip

Full OTA
    http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/sig...FRG83G-ota.zip
    Has anyone tried to install these over a failed install of 83G? My install never went through... got the update prompt, phone seemed to reboot, but it still says 2.2.1 FRG83D... and as a bonus, it won't boot into recovery any more.
  5. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDeDroid View Post
    Has anyone tried to install these over a failed install of 83G? My install never went through... got the update prompt, phone seemed to reboot, but it still says 2.2.1 FRG83D... and as a bonus, it won't boot into recovery any more.
    What do you mean failed install of 83G?

I had a rooted FRG83D and just ran the 83D-G update.zip (after manually fixing su permissions and disabling stock recovery) and everything is working great.

If you lost root/recovery, I'd suggest first installing the signed full FRG83D and then use MotoCache1's method to root it.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

I had a rooted FRG83D and just ran the 83D-G update.zip (after manually fixing su permissions and disabling stock recovery) and everything is working great.

If you lost root/recovery, I'd suggest first installing the signed full FRG83D and then use MotoCache1's method to root it.
    What do you mean when you say "(after manually fixing su permissions and disabling stock recovery)"??? What permissions did you fix and how...and how did you disable the stock recovery (when you initially rooted, or some other way??)
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

What I mean is I got the notification for the update (I'm stock, no root) and followed the update procedure. The restart was very quick (as if it didn't really go all the way down)... when I checked the about page in settings it said I was still on 2.2.1 FRG83D. I'm not sure if a non-rooted phone can boot into recovery mode (I don't see why not but I'll concede I'm a bit lacking in knowledge in this arena) but if it is able to, I can't. The phone ostensibly works, but I don't know if the update system is hosed or not.
  8. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ah ok.

Verizon will try to push the OTA update to you again eventually if your fingerprint is still FRG83D. Try again see what happens.

If it still doesn't work, you can install the "full FRG83D" update (unmodified) on a stock recovery since it's signed. Or worst case just do the "factory wipe/reset" and I'm sure Verizon will push you all the latest updates OTA.
  9. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gduper View Post
    What do you mean when you say "(after manually fixing su permissions and disabling stock recovery)"??? What permissions did you fix and how...and how did you disable the stock recovery (when you initially rooted, or some other way??)
    Short version, I will skip some unnecessary details to keep it as simple as possible. I previously have rooted FRG83D and installed sprecovery as my custom recovery.

1) Download the official signed FRG83D->FRG83G update.zip
    2) Unzip and edit META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script

Comment out line 650 with a # or delete it entirely
    Code:
    #package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");

Add the second line "set_perm" after line 653 "set_perm recursive" shown below

Code:
    set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
    set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");
    3) rezip and copy root of SD card and boot into recovery -- sprecovery will install the update.zip without checking the signature (which would fail on standard recovery)

edit: if you want to learn more about how your custom recovery will be lost with OTA update read the excellent article by MotoCache1 with a detailed explanation
    Last edited by log; 03-17-2011 at 03:18 PM.
  10. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gduper View Post
    Short version, I will skip some unnecessary details to keep it as simple as possible. I previously have rooted FRG83D and installed sprecovery as my custom recovery.

1) Download the official signed FRG83D->FRG83G update.zip
    2) Unzip and edit META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script

Comment out line 50 with a # or delete it entirely
    Code:
    #package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");

Add the second line "set_perm" after line 653 "set_perm recursive" shown below

Code:
    set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
    set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");
    3) rezip and copy root of SD card and boot into recovery -- sprecovery will install the update.zip without checking the signature (which would fail on standard recovery)

edit: if you want to learn more about how your custom recovery will be lost with OTA update read the excellent article by MotoCache1 with a detailed explanation

I dont know what line is what...since I use notepad to make these edits.

Can you possible host the edited script file...so that way I can just replace the one in the update with the edits you made...and install it that way?
  11. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Sorry, don't want to do this for a couple of reasons and I don't feel the need to explain.

I'd rather you understand exactly what/where you are making changes and don't really have the time to support this method so I'd recommend using MotoCache1's method for a rock solid root every time on any version, including 2.2.2!

edit: line was 650/653.... these are all at very bottom of the file if you can't use line numbers should be easy to find -- if you or anyone else feels comfortable with using this method, go for it.
    Last edited by log; 03-17-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links