Checking back into this thread with a (final?) update. I noticed that the latest test kernel from the OP download link is the same (rooted@linbox #7) as the deprimed_base I initially downloaded several months ago and didn't like because of the lag. To avoid any issues I turned off swap, reverted from V6, undid my custom 20overclock, and made sure that the download of the kernel was OK.
Using prime's 1000 script (and eventually copied over to /etc/init.d/20overclock) my D1 couldn't have been more smooth. Android OS usage seems a little high (<20%) but the battery drain is acceptable - seems even better than kernel versions #19 and #20.
For kicks I reintroduced V6 supercharger and I haven't really experienced any problems (yet). The only other things I could think of where my previous experience wasn't working out:
- Swap and V6 not getting along in the same way compcache causes lag when used with V6.
- Something went haywire with the deprimed_base.zip installation.
The jury is still out on the first point because I just turned my swap partition back on and so far so good for now. Of course if the stability goes south I'll immediately know.
So far I'm happy with the results and I think I can finally leave good enough alone until I retire my OG.