DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 254 of 266 FirstFirst ... 154 204 244 252 253 254 255 256 264 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 2655
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid 1 +CM7
    So much awesome!

- onDroid
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    hmmm, compcache included you say... wonder if that'd play nicely with my 256MB swap partition? I as well have been running deprimed #20 reports as #1 since it came out basically, on every ROM variation. That's weird that one guy a few posts up said it didn't work for him. I just SBF'd back to stock last night and threw on winner's latest and after I loaded all my apps up back up with the stock CM7 kernel included it was running good, but slowed down after a couple hours. Flashed prime's and it's been silky, buttery, '90s MJ fade-away smooth every since last night.

Little off topic, but when I made my 256MB swap partition I erased my 1GB ext2 partition and changed it to a 1GB ext3 partition, since I'm pretty sure that's more compatible with the majority of things?? No clue myself...but does anybody know if link2sd is still recommended to use?... as opposed to the native moving-app-to-SD option in settings? I know I used to use it but eventually I ran into problems of being bogged down, maybe too much action going on on the slow ass crappy, stock, mass-produced class1 SD card my 2.5-year-old OG is still rolling with...(reminds me I should upgrade to a class4 or something for christs sake). I moved all 3 options for the app in link2sd, .lib .dex and .apk I think, dalvik-cache was one of them too...But I just read on the Cyanogenmod forum not to move the dalvik-cache at all. Is the built-in OS dalvik-cache not recommended to be moved either? Remember seeing a script for that on xda. Ridiculous rant this turned into, geez.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by meishkov View Post
    hmmm, compcache included you say... wonder if that'd play nicely with my 256MB swap partition? I as well have been running deprimed #20 reports as #1 since it came out basically, on every ROM variation. That's weird that one guy a few posts up said it didn't work for him. I just SBF'd back to stock last night and threw on winner's latest and after I loaded all my apps up back up with the stock CM7 kernel included it was running good, but slowed down after a couple hours. Flashed prime's and it's been silky, buttery, '90s MJ fade-away smooth every since last night.

Little off topic, but when I made my 256MB swap partition I erased my 1GB ext2 partition and changed it to a 1GB ext3 partition, since I'm pretty sure that's more compatible with the majority of things?? No clue myself...but does anybody know if link2sd is still recommended to use?... as opposed to the native moving-app-to-SD option in settings? I know I used to use it but eventually I ran into problems of being bogged down, maybe too much action going on on the slow ass crappy, stock, mass-produced class1 SD card my 2.5-year-old OG is still rolling with...(reminds me I should upgrade to a class4 or something for christs sake). I moved all 3 options for the app in link2sd, .lib .dex and .apk I think, dalvik-cache was one of them too...But I just read on the Cyanogenmod forum not to move the dalvik-cache at all. Is the built-in OS dalvik-cache not recommended to be moved either? Remember seeing a script for that on xda. Ridiculous rant this turned into, geez.
    Link2sd is better than the native apps2sd, using Link2sd tricks the os into thinking the ext3 partition is part of the internal memory so you can use your apps even when the sdcard is mounted (at first boot and when mount to the computer) the native one forces you to wait and is slower
    And yes ext3 is better than ext2, ext3 adds journaling which protects your apps from getting corrupted and its also faster
    And moving the dalvik cache that is related to those apps you moved is OK, since its really only used when you use those apps, however moving there os’s dalvik cache isn't good since it will constantly be reading from the sdcard which is much slower
    Also I don't think a faster sdcard helps in the droid, just ask chevycam about it since he uses a class 4 one
    Also about using compcache with swap works just fine for me, however id suggest trying only compcache if you plan on having apps on the sdcard as swap might slow everything down (too much writing to the sdcard)
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid 1 +CM7
    Wow! Nice info. I'll have to try apps2sd and make use of the partition I made a year ago...

- onDroid

Say, the market shows several "app 2 sd" apps. Anyone recommend one over the others?
    Last edited by phonetool; 03-11-2012 at 06:06 PM.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by phonetool View Post
    Wow! Nice info. I'll have to try apps2sd and make use of the partition I made a year ago...

- onDroid

Say, the market shows several "app 2 sd" apps. Anyone recommend one over the others?
    look for link2sd, the others are almost always about the native apps2sd and basically unnecessary

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nex΅s
    Wait, so its bad to have swap when having all your apps linked to sd card? Ive noticed my memory is pretty bad since I started using swap + im a link2sd user. Only get about 20-30/256...

I have a class 4 sd card btw.
    Last edited by BrUhNiGGs; 03-11-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy SIII - TW 4.1.2 VRBMF1
    Running JellyBeans Builds
    • Just Smooth...
    LeanKernel 3.0 EXP
    • Incredibly Awesome •
    ———————————Direct Injected——————————

7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by BrUhNiGGs View Post
    Wait, so its bad to have swap when having all your apps linked to sd card? Ive noticed my memory is pretty bad since I started using swap + im a link2sd user. Only get about 20-30/256...
    not sure if it effects ram too much, but the stock sdcard for the droid can only write at around 2 MB/s (class 2) so between swap constantly writing and using apps from the sdcard things slow down, thats why i prefer using compcache AND swap when using link2sd, it lessens the read/write to the sdcard
    You can try disabling swap and see if things run better

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nex΅s
    Alright, and once prime uploads the deprimed kernel with compcache I should use both swap and compcache
    Samsung Galaxy SIII - TW 4.1.2 VRBMF1
    Running JellyBeans Builds
    • Just Smooth...
    LeanKernel 3.0 EXP
    • Incredibly Awesome •
    ———————————Direct Injected——————————

9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by BrUhNiGGs View Post
    Alright, and once prime uploads the deprimed kernel with compcache I should use both swap and compcache
    whatever works best for you

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Ah, that should explain why I use to have mad lag when I used link2sd and swap partition awhile ago. So even with a low swappiness like 10 on a big swap partition like 256mb still wouldn't be good with link2sd huh?

Is cfq still the preferred io scheduler for daily use on an OG? I was running pre-v6 supercharger with it but now its noop and there's like a couple second pause when I'm typing every minute or so. Or maybe that's the logging or somethin. I'm not noticing that big of a difference after supercharging this time around on winner's latest, its already incredibly smooth, gonna try undoing it and unkaking it and see if it gets rid of this 1.34 second lag

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
Page 254 of 266 FirstFirst ... 154 204 244 252 253 254 255 256 264 ... LastLast

Links