DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: how do I install on a replacement phone

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3

how do I install on a replacement phone

I got a replacement Inc. It is activated. How do I get everything back? There are some apps I dont want back though. I have appbrain, signed in and it isnt seeing all I had before. I did sync it. Do I need a SD card in the phone? I am getting a new one to start fresh.

Also, I saved ALL files that where on my old phone and card to my computer. I know I move them to this new phone, but should I? My old was restarting and freezing and I dont know if it wasnt a virus?

Suggestions please. Thanks!!!

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nia07 View Post
    I got a replacement Inc. It is activated. How do I get everything back? There are some apps I dont want back though. I have appbrain, signed in and it isnt seeing all I had before. I did sync it. Do I need a SD card in the phone? I am getting a new one to start fresh.

Also, I saved ALL files that where on my old phone and card to my computer. I know I move them to this new phone, but should I? My old was restarting and freezing and I dont know if it wasnt a virus?

Suggestions please. Thanks!!!
    First, you don't have a virus. No android phone has ever had a virus.

All of your apps should be backed up in the Market. If not all of them at least your paid ones are. You should go to the Market and download your paid apps from there.

You didn't need to save everything to your computer. Your contacts are backed up by Google in Gmail, paid apps in the Market. If your old phone was restarting and freezing chances are you were using a task killer or a virus protection that was causing that. Check with us to see if we can help you before going back to Verizon, most of these problems are app related and we can help get your Incredible running smooth again.

Put whatever SD card you want in there. If you want your old one put that in there, if you want a fresh new one then use that one.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Thanks HB!!

I put a new card in. The old Droid would not stay on long enough for me to do anything! I dont think I had a task killer installed, def not a virus protection either. But it would reboot and freeze on the inc screen, and do that again and again. It was horrible! I wanted my pics off the phone, those arent backed up by google are they? I have pics going to card now, but when VZ did a reset on the old one, I didnt think of resetting it so my pics where on the phones storage.

So far so good on the new one
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    I'd recommend getting a task killing app, keeps the phone's memory from bogging down and freezing. Advanced Task Killer is free, and works wonderfully on my Incredible. DO NOT download AntiVirus, it crashes your phone. Get the task killer, and get in the habit of using it often.

Also try to keep a memory card in the phone at all times, to save pictures to. If pictures are on your phone's memory and something happens to it, you'll be losing all the pictures again.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by Woehoss View Post
    I'd recommend getting a task killing app, keeps the phone's memory from bogging down and freezing. Advanced Task Killer is free, and works wonderfully on my Incredible. DO NOT download AntiVirus, it crashes your phone. Get the task killer, and get in the habit of using it often.

Also try to keep a memory card in the phone at all times, to save pictures to. If pictures are on your phone's memory and something happens to it, you'll be losing all the pictures again.
    Quite honestly no the advanced task killer doesn't do much for your memory or keeping your phone from bogging down.

Task manager is great for 2 things
    1) poorly written apps that freeze or run when they shouldn't
    Why? Well if an app is non responsive but has not force closed well then you can quickly and easily force stop it. Really this is just an easier way since you can force stop from menu>settings>applications>manage applications.

2) For people who really don't have a clue.
    In all honesty if you really really think you need one you probably do just so you can feel better and so you can give it credit for any battery saving you may or may not notice or any speed increases you may or may not notice.

Can anyone say SUGAR PILL?

I do believe personally that it may possibly be capable of saving battery life by killing poorly written apps that should NOT be installed in the first place.
    Using: Thunderbolt (rooted+OC'd) Incredible (rooted+OC'd) Galaxy Tab (rooted).
    Retired: Droid X (rooted+OC'd) gave to GF, Droid 1 (rooted+OC'd 1.25GHz) gave it to my lil brother, G1 (rooted) was stolen from me.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by givmedew View Post

Quite honestly no the advanced task killer doesn't do much for your memory or keeping your phone from bogging down.

Why? Well if an app is non responsive but has not force closed well then you can quickly and easily force stop it. Really this is just an easier way since you can force stop from menu>settings>applications>manage applications.

In all honesty if you really really think you need one you probably do just so you can feel better and so you can give it credit for any battery saving you may or may not notice or any speed increases you may or may not notice.

I do believe personally that it may possibly be capable of saving battery life by killing poorly written apps that should NOT be installed in the first place.
    Since when does killing tasks not increase your memory for running programs? It's the same concept as a PC, if you have too many running programs the machine may lag, or freeze.

Yes, you can shut them down with the directional steps you provided. But many people prefer a task manager that gives you quicker access in one step.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid2

Since when does killing tasks not increase your memory for running programs? It's the same concept as a PC, if you have too many running programs the machine may lag, or freeze.

Yes, you can shut them down with the directional steps you provided. But many people prefer a task manager that gives you quicker access in one step.
    It was proven that letting android handle the closing the currently running apps itself is better for battery life and ram over using a task killer. As it was said its just a lazier way to close an app causing problems instead of using androids built in task killer
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnadie4thegov View Post

It was proven that letting android handle the closing the currently running apps itself is better for battery life and ram over using a task killer. As it was said its just a lazier way to close an app causing problems instead of using androids built in task killer
    Proven by who?

And yes, I realize that Android OS auto-closes processes when RAM is needed to run something else. However when I was letting my phone do it's own thing I started having an issue with the screen randomly scrolling all the way to the left by itself. I started using a task killer fairly regularly and the issue has not reoccurred. I'm sure the same maintenance could be done without a task killing app simply by managing running applications with the built in task manager, or by soft resetting the phone. I simply like the function of a task killer because I can kill multiple apps at once and customize it to shut down only the things I want to shut down while leaving the rest running. Some may call it "lazy", I call it convenient.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone

Thanks and yes I have pics all saved to sd card too. Live and learn

Links