Deleted Apps Come Back; Factory reset fails
I am having problems with my Incredible. I canít permanently delete any apps from it. I uninstall them from the phone Settings Menu, but when I restart the phone, the apps are back. I have deleted them from my Market account, but they still reappear on the phone. I have done a factory reset from H Boot, but they still come back. Help!
Here is a list of what I have tried so far, based on poring over tons of board posts. I am not inherently brilliant at this, so forgive any missteps. Forgive the length, but I figure more detail is better than less.
1) I rooted my phone in August solely because I had a recurring Low Space error. I used the method from soniclude at [HOW TO] Fix the "Low on space" problem (in plain English) - xda-developers. Worked great, although after that I noticed the phone was slightly unstable with more freezes. Not a big deal, and I didnít find another ROM or anything else. I only rooted to fix the space issue, not unlock the potential of the phone, so I didn't play around to optimize it.
2) I got a new phone in December and gave the Incredible to my young kids for them to play games. It has no OTA service and only works on WiFi. I did not unroot, but I did a factory reset to clear all my user data and apps. Then I created an account for them and installed preschool games, Avast Mobile Security, Cloudacl webfilter, Netflix, etc. Worked fine for a while. I added a couple game apps along the way. After about a month it started freezing a lot during play. So I set off to fix it.
3) I changed my ROM to Stock + Ver 3.01. Didnít help. Actually made it a bit worse as I got dozens of error messages about process errors.
4) I unrooted, following the guide from Doug Piston. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ncredible.html The PB31IMG in that thread gave me an ďolder versionĒ fail so I found a new PB31IMG at Stock Images | PvilleComp's. Unroot successful. Process errors have gone away.
5) I have an app called Kid Mode by Zoodles on my phone. Itís great for allowing young kids to play games without getting out into the rest of the phone. Iíve had no problems with it for 2 years on my INC and 2 months on my Razr M. But now on the INC it automatically starts up when I start the phone. This shouldnít happen normally. This started before changing ROM so ROM and unrooting didnít cause it. Itís really annoying, because the great feature of Kid Mode is that it is hard to exit. After I wiped my data from the phone it got even harder because I needed to sign in before I could exit and since I have no OTA service and my WiFi connection was wiped with clearing the data, I had to get extra creative. I held down the search button to active voice, then the notification bar became visible and I could get into Avast. From there I could Force Close Kid Mode.
6) After the unroot I was still having process errors so I did a factory reset from the phoneís settings menu. It rebooted but all my apps were still there.
7) I went into H Boot and did a factory reset. Same effect. Iíve done this several times and gotten nothing.
8) I have deleted each downloaded app individually from the Settings menu. They reappear upon reboot.
9) I have deleted each app from Market. Again, they reappear on my phone. Interestingly, they no longer appear in Market My Apps, but they are still on my phone after rebooting.
10) I donít know if it is relevant, but since last spring my phone has notified me of an available system update. When I click OK, it says rebooting in (countdown). When it reaches the end of the countdown, nothing happens. This was while I still had OTA service.
Android Version 2.3.4
Baseband version 2.15.10.07.07
Kernel version 220.127.116.11-g55a06e5 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1 Thu Aug 18 16:33:55 CST 2011
Build number 4.06.605.3 CL 140944 release-keys
Software number 4.06.605.3