DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: How to correctly unroot the Incredible

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    TundaBolt
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arpeggiate View Post

You are all over the place here. The PB31IMG can be transferred to your sd card on any OS.Linux,Windows, or MacOS: they all work for this simple task.

It is running the RUU.exe that you need windows.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Premium Member
    Arpeggiate, are you still around?
    Visit DF's sister site, http://www.incredibleforum.com, for even more great Incredible tips!
    Useful links:
    * How to Root Your Incredible * How to Unroot Your Incredible * Flashing ROMs Tutorial
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by doug piston View Post

You are all over the place here. The PB31IMG can be transferred to your sd card on any OS.Linux,Windows, or MacOS: they all work for this simple task.

Sorry, I had business I had to attend to yesterday, and now I'm losing track of what I'm doing!

I guess the RUU was what I ran to get the s-on? Must have been something unrelated to PB31IMG, which will unroot my phone if I have the right SD card, which I think I have now. I'll give it a shot now with a freshly formatted (fat32) card now.
    I do like music, but the screen also rhymes with the Darlek expression "EXTERMINATE!!!"
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Premium Member
    You have not run the RUU- it's not how you got s-on. We need you to focus. Do you have gchat?
    Visit DF's sister site, http://www.incredibleforum.com, for even more great Incredible tips!
    Useful links:
    * How to Root Your Incredible * How to Unroot Your Incredible * Flashing ROMs Tutorial
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by doug piston View Post

Sorry, I had business I had to attend to yesterday, and now I'm losing track of what I'm doing!

I guess the RUU was what I ran to get the s-on? Must have been something unrelated to PB31IMG, which will unroot my phone if I have the right SD card, which I think I have now. I'll give it a shot now with a freshly formatted (fat32) card now.
    Ok, done! New card, freshly formatted to FAT32, "PB31IMG" is the only file on it, got my s-on, and this time I got something different, but I don't know if it was good. I could not read all of the quick green-printed messages, but a clause I caught was "No Image" (but at least there weren't any red-printed errors), and then it all ended abruptly after about two seconds. Should HBOOT do more with PB31IMG than this, or am I unrooted at last?
    I do like music, but the screen also rhymes with the Darlek expression "EXTERMINATE!!!"
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Premium Member
    Look in your applications for one named "superuser". If it's not there, you're no longer rooted.
    Useful links:
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by enlightened View Post
    You have not run the RUU- it's not how you got s-on. We need you to focus. Do you have gchat?
    Unfortunately, no.

I just went back to Doug's OP for the 12th time:

"Now that you have s-on you can now flash the 2.2 RUU with Hboot. To do this you must have your sd formatted to FAT32. Place the file below on the root of your sd card after you renamed it to PB31IMG. (Root means not in any folders) Then boot into hboot. To boot into Hboot power off the device and reboot it while pressing the vol- and the power at the same time. The phone will then look for the file and ask if you would like to accept it. Select yes and then leave the phone alone until it asks you if you would like to reboot. Select yes and enjoy you stock phone."

It's plain to see that the RUU is contained within the PB31IMG file, which I seem to have done everything right with. Because he said to run the RUU through HBOOT on my phone, I don't understand the bit about running it on Windows vs. Linux. Anyway, I was asking about these systems only to make clear that they would not cause any errors similar or dissimilar to the Mac issue when transferring files, particularly zipped ones. I need to eliminate even the most unlikely factors because I am still getting problems, being told that I'm the only one who is, but I'm doing everything which you tell me.

As it is right now, I have gone the extra step of trying a different SD card, freshly formatted to fat32, "PB31IMG" (".zip" extension dropped) sits alone on it, my radio is prior-issue to the one mentioned by Doug, and I've got my s-on. This time the results were different in that no red "file is older" message happened, but it quit after two seconds, and it did not ask if I would like to accept anything. This is why I'm sure there's still a different mine out there in need of deactivation.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Premium Member
    Have you tried running the RUU (which runs directly from your computer while your phone is plugged in)?
    Useful links:
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Premium Member
    Do you have gchat? We don't normally resort to that but this issue has been going on for too long when there's a very easy way to explain it.
    Useful links:
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by enlightened View Post
    Look in your applications for one named "superuser". If it's not there, you're no longer rooted.
    If it were that simple, then a factory reset, which wipes out all programs, would be sufficient. I believe Doug explained in his video why this isn't the case.

This phone does have me a bit confused concerning my status when I look at it's files through any OS, as I'm really not able to see any of the files which are stored on it's internal memory, but it did allow me to complete the experiment of transferring files there. To me that's a huge go-figure!
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Links