DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: How to correctly unroot the Incredible

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    TundaBolt
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arpeggiate View Post
    Doug, I got my s-on my rooted DINC just as you said - you're the man!

Now, I hate to say that your unroot system doesn't work, as I haven't seen anyone else report that. But I did check the HBOOT dialogue for s-on, and I also made sure that the file PB31INC.zip was installed in the root of my SD card, and that the name is precise (all caps). The screen is AMOL...(not the new one), and I checked that the radio version is RADIO-2.15.00.07.28. What happens is that, despite all of the above, HBOOT runs a check on PB31INC.zip, and then I get the same message as I got before I caught on to the need for s-on: "Main Version is older! Upgrade Fail".

I need to return this DINC to Verizon, as it has been replaced because of chronic screen problems, so please help me with this if you can!

Thank you for your efforts this far!

Oh, by the way, I already deactivated the damned thing - hope that wasn't too bad a mistake!
    Try renaming the zip to PB31IMG not PNC
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by doug piston View Post

Now, I hate to say that your unroot system doesn't work, as I haven't seen anyone else report that. But I did check the HBOOT dialogue for s-on, and I also made sure that the file PB31INC.zip was installed in the root of my SD card, and that the name is precise (all caps). The screen is AMOL...(not the new one), and I checked that the radio version is RADIO-2.15.00.07.28. What happens is that, despite all of the above, HBOOT runs a check on PB31INC.zip, and then I get the same message as I got before I caught on to the need for s-on: "Main Version is older! Upgrade Fail".

I need to return this DINC to Verizon, as it has been replaced because of chronic screen problems, so please help me with this if you can!

Oh, by the way, I already deactivated the damned thing - hope that wasn't too bad a mistake!
    Oops, that was a typo on my post. But I checked just now, and the name of that file in my SD root is PB31IMG.zip (wouldn't the error have been a different one anyway). I believe I did follow your directions, but the problem of a phone which I need to unroot has not gone away. Are you sure there couldn't be something else which may be missing, or new weird Verizon tactics to get around (it's not a new phone, but if it talks to the present network during this process...)? I hate to lean on you like this, but I recently got laid off from my job after almost two decades, so I really can't afford to pay the Verizon warrantee police.
    Last edited by Arpeggiate; 02-03-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    I do like music, but the screen also rhymes with the Darlek expression "EXTERMINATE!!!"
  3. Incredible RS
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doug piston View Post

Oops, that was a typo on my post. But I checked just now, and the name of that file in my SD root is PB31IMG.zip (wouldn't the error have been a different one anyway). I believe I did follow your direction, but the problem of a phone which I need to unroot has not gone away. Are you sure there couldn't be something else which could be missing, or new weird Verizon tactics to get around (it's not a new phone, but if it talks to the present network during this process...)? I hate to lean on you like this, but I recently got laid off from my job after almost two decades, so I really can't afford to pay the Verizon warrantee police.
    This tutorial has been used by many people on this forum and the Incredible Forum (and who knows where else) and everyone was able to get back to stock.

Rename the file to PB31IMG without the .zip and try again. Be sure you are following these steps letter by letter.
    Need help with your HTC Droid Incredible? Visit DF's sister site, Incredible Forum, at http://www.incredibleforum.com.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    TundaBolt
    Premium Member
    Oops, that was a typo on my post. But I checked just now, and the name of that file in my SD root is PB31IMG.zip (wouldn't the error have been a different one anyway). I believe I did follow your directions, but the problem of a phone which I need to unroot has not gone away. Are you sure there couldn't be something else which may be missing, or new weird Verizon tactics to get around (it's not a new phone, but if it talks to the present network during this process...)? I hate to lean on you like this, but I recently got laid off from my job after almost two decades, so I really can't afford to pay the Verizon warrantee police.

Hey no worries meng. The only way you could be getting a software to old error is if you have some super secret rom that I don't know exists or your using and older build. Well could also just be a fluke as well.

Try this file. If you get the same error try a factory reset, then try again.

If you still get the same issue I hope you have a windows PC.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    The file which is on my SD card is named PB31IMG.zip, and hasn't been renamed since it failed to get past the HBOOT on my HTC Incredible last night. It shipped in July this year with the same screen which they all had then (horrible in sunlight), and the radio which I listed is a lower number than the one you listed at issue. I did check the my SD card format through the Properties window of my Linux system, Since the ancient DOS systems were, unlike Windows, formatted in FAT32, I think when it reports "MS-DOS" that it means the same. When I rooted my phone, I recall the need to enable USB debugging, and I know this is a different process, but if this matters it was enabled before I shut my phone down. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my card, and I've tried different copies of the same file from different sources. In fact, I got as far as getting my "s-on" by running the file "unrevoked-forever-son.zip" from that card, but this is a tangent - there weren't any card-read errors, the file which I tried to load was screened out by HBOOT while I had s-on, and I need to know why I seem to be the only one who's seen such a problem.

Uh, if the "unrevoked-forever-son.zip" file stays in the root when "PB31IMG.zip" is running, can that cause a problem? At no point did I see the s-on status change.

Can the fact that I have already reset my phone be tied to the trouble I'm having?
    Last edited by enlightened; 02-07-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: removed Motorola reference for clarity
    I do like music, but the screen also rhymes with the Darlek expression "EXTERMINATE!!!"
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by tweebee View Post
    This tutorial has been used by many people on this forum and the Incredible Forum (and who knows where else) and everyone was able to get back to stock.
    I've no doubt that it works for people, the question is why it doesn't work for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by tweebee View Post
    Rename the file to PB31IMG without the .zip and try again. Be sure you are following these steps letter by letter.
    If that's the reason, I know I saw an example given with the ".zip" extension, and with no extension I (almost said the system wouldn't know how what to do with a no-extension file, but I have used Linux before - I'm using it now for the first time in years specifically because Windows made the root process impossible). I'll give it a shot.

Just did, and HBOOT failed to show interest in any files - just sits there!

Ok, with this being a zip file I am used to unpacking one of these before anything gets done to anything else, but you said just place it, with the name specified (which is how I got it unless the .zip extension really should be removed, which still did nothing for me), so that's exactly what I did. I noticed that when I removed the .zip extension, the Linux icon changed, which is kinda odd because Linux has other ways than the .zip extension for identifying a file type (I've seen it run executables with no file extensions, which normally stops Windows dead in it's tracks), Android is Linux, and since it's run or not run by Android it should make no difference whether I did any of this in Windows. Please help me sort this out before it makes me really crazy!
    Last edited by Arpeggiate; 02-03-2011 at 07:51 PM.
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    TundaBolt
    Premium Member
    ok relax here kiddo. First thing I need you to do is to boot into hboot. Does it say s-on or s-off?

In fact I'm gonna go out of my norm here. You have gtalk?
    Last edited by doug piston; 02-03-2011 at 08:20 PM.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Premium Member
    Arpeggiate, we'd like to help you tonight but need you to stay focused on the thread.
    Visit DF's sister site, http://www.incredibleforum.com, for even more great Incredible tips!
    Useful links:
    * How to Root Your Incredible * How to Unroot Your Incredible * Flashing ROMs Tutorial
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    I'm also having similar problem as Arpeggiate. Mine says S-On but when I go into Hboot it starts to find the file but says loading..no image...or wrong image. Something like that. It goes away fast so I can't see all what it says. Thanks for the help in advance!
    My radio is also 2.15.00.07.28 and my sd card is FAT32 as well.
    Last edited by jtracker; 02-03-2011 at 10:13 PM.
  10. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    TundaBolt
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracker View Post
    I'm also having similar problem as Arpeggiate. Mine says S-On but when I go into Hboot it starts to find the file but says loading..no image...or wrong image. Something like that. It goes away fast so I can't see all what it says. Thanks for the help in advance!
    My radio is also 2.15.00.07.28 and my sd card is FAT32 as well.
    Let me just get this in the open, Hboot can be a picky SOB. First move would be to format and try another. I'm serious here.
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Links