DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: rooting questions? I seached couldn't find answers. (NOT about HOW to root either)

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

rooting questions? I seached couldn't find answers. (NOT about HOW to root either)

Ive been looking around this website...used the search.. search google.
    I found out once you root, you never get updates again? does that mean just phone updates or on all apps? If its just on the phone updates what if i never update it?

It also looks like everyone likes unrevoked to root to but need 2.2...how do i see if i have 2.2? I have a droid incredible thats all i know.

If i root does it delete all my apps? cause i only want it for overclocking (i think its called--to make your phone run faster?) and maybe a different theme? I read up on ROMs and wouldnt that be unrevoked? and a theme is just a theme correct?

one last thing... all i have to do is this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ked-3-3-a.html to root to unrevoked? it seems to easy? it just has steps 1-8 basically
    Last edited by seneye; 01-08-2011 at 11:10 AM.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    S4
    Rooting just unlocks your phone (s-off) and unrEVOked installs a superuser app. It doesn't delete anything.

Apps can and do update via the market. Rooting doesn't affect that.

As for OTA phone updates... if you also run unrEVOked forever... and stay with the stock ROM you will receive the update notifications, but they will fail to install. If you flash a custom ROM, then updates to it would be available from the ROM dev.

If you don't run unrEVOked forever, then the OTA updates from VZW will break your root. Then you have to wait for unrEVOked to update their root version and run that.

Eventually though, you will play around with ROMs.
    Never let someone else dictate your awesome.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Premium Member
    The information about unrevoked Forever is outdated. unrevoked 3.3 has unrevoked Forever built into it so there is no need to flash both.
    Visit DF's sister site, http://www.incredibleforum.com, for even more great Incredible tips!
    Useful links:
    * How to Root Your Incredible * How to Unroot Your Incredible * Flashing ROMs Tutorial
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid incredable
    Quote Originally Posted by seneye View Post
    Ive been looking around this website...used the search.. search google.
    I found out once you root, you never get updates again? does that mean just phone updates or on all apps? If its just on the phone updates what if i never update it?

It also looks like everyone likes unrevoked to root to but need 2.2...how do i see if i have 2.2? I have a droid incredible thats all i know.

If i root does it delete all my apps? cause i only want it for overclocking (i think its called--to make your phone run faster?) and maybe a different theme? I read up on ROMs and wouldnt that be unrevoked? and a theme is just a theme correct?

one last thing... all i have to do is this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ked-3-3-a.html to root to unrevoked? it seems to easy? it just has steps 1-8 basically

To find out if you Have 2.2 go to menu->settings->about phone->software information and yes just follow the directions its really easy with unrevoked 3 just make sure you install the drivers and enable usb debugging open unrevoked 3 plug in your phone and let it do its thing, than after its done you just have to find an overclocking app you like if you search through the forums youll prom find recomendations
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Two questions... step 1 says to Uninstall HTC Sync, DoubleTwist, and DropBox from the PC.
    Where do i uninstall thoses? I don't think I have them?

andd say like step 5 to get into the HBOOT screen. how do I get out of that? I once had a razr back in the day and i had to take my phone back to the store cause i couldn't figure out how to get our the that screen. Just wanna have a heads up on how to get out
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid incredable
    If you never Installed them than you gont have to worry about them, but to see look in your start menu and see if any are there, If you use unrevoked3 you dont have to go into hboot it will do it all for you but if you go in for other stuff depending on what your doing somethings will just rebbot automaticly but there is options to reboot manually worst case pull the battery
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    okay. so i rooted my phone using unrevoked 3.3 and i was reading up on overclocking in the Just rooted what to do next noob guide or whatever... but it sounds like i need a kernel to overclock? what was unrevoked is that not a kernel?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    S4
    Unrevoked unlocks your phone (s-off) so you can install non-stock content. Now that you are rooted, you can start flashing kernels if you just want to oc. I've had good success with HydraKernels on the stock DI rom.
    However, when you flash custom roms you will need to use kernels compatible with those roms.

sent from my Incredible Andriod phone using DroidForums App.
    Never let someone else dictate your awesome.

Links