There are 2 main steps: installing drivers and running the unrEVOked 3.32 flash tool.
THIS PROCESS WORKS ON BOTH AMOLED AND SLCD DEVICES!!!
Step 1: INSTALLING DRIVERS- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND THE NUMBER ONE THING PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH. Read all instructions CAREFULLY before starting.
Download and install unrEVOked modified USB Driver
- Uninstall HTC Sync, DoubleTwist, and DropBox from the PC. They can be reinstalled later if you desire, but for now they've got to go.
- Download and unzip the file (from the link above), leaving the folder Android USB Driver somewhere like on your desktop
- Unplug your phone from USB
- Power down your phone
- Now simultaneously press the volume DOWN button and the power button, holding till the HBOOT screen appears
- Now connect the USB cable between the phone and your PC
- The word HBOOT (blue box with white letters) will change to HBOOT USB PLUG
- Look at your Windows Device Manager (to open Device Manager, right click My Computer, select Manage..., select the Device Manager) and see if you already have Android Phone listed for HBOOT as shown in one of the images in the link below. If you see the Android Phone, you're ready to root and can skip the rest of this. Otherwise, you do not have HBOOT-capable drivers, and you need to install them. Windows should be looking for drivers now. At this point things may differ between XP and Vista/7.
*In XP: the New Hardware Found Wizard should appear. Tell it NOT to use Windows Update, and moving along, tell it to look in a specified location. It will pop up a file open dialog. Navigate to the Android USB Driver folder, click OK then click Next.
*In Windows Vista/ Windows 7: You might not see the New Hardware Found Wizard. Open the Device Manager (Right click My Computer, select Manage, then select the Device Manager). You will see an Android Phone node in the tree with a "caution" icon node beneath it. Right click on the caution-marked node and select Update Driver. Select NOT to look in Windows Update; instead, choose Install from a specified location. It will pop up a file open dialog. Navigate to the Android USB Driver folder, click OK, then click Next.
Complete driver instruction list (including pictures): public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]
If installing on Mac OS: No driver needed.
STEP 2: FLASHING THE unrEVOked 3.32 TOOL (note- website just says unrEVOked 3 even though you're actually using version 3.32. Don't be alarmed/ confused.)
- Start phone in normal mode. (If in HBOOT from step 1, select Fastboot with the power button and then press volume down until "Reboot" is highlighted. Press the power button to select.)
- Enable USB Debugging (Settings, Applications, Development).
- Enable Unknown Sources (Settings, Applications at the top).
- Enable USB "Ask Me" mode (Settings, Connect to PC).
- Plug in the USB cable and choose Charge Only on the phone. On the Mac you may get an error about not being able to mount, click Ignore.
- On Windows (only), open the Device Manager and verify that you see the "Android for ADB"
- Get the reflash rooting tool from unrEVOked (3.32) here:
unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32 (Choose the right OS! )
- Run Reflash on the PC/Mac/Linux system.
If you did everything right, and if your phone is a stock 2.2 Incredible, Reflash will come up and start the rooting process.
Be patient! The process involves several (4) reboots and some long periods of apparent inactivity. Let it go. Wait for at least 5 minutes before deciding it has become stuck.
How to know it worked:
Once the Reflash process completes (5 or so minutes), unplug USB and reboot the phone. It will look normal. Open the App tray and look for the Superuser app. The app details will be blank- that's entirely normal and what is to be expected. For final confirmation, reboot the phone into HBOOT and see if it says S-OFF at the top. If so, you're rooted!
Okay, I lied (sorry!)- one more step:
STEP 3: UPDATING RECOVERY IMAGE AND CREATING A NANDROID BACKUP (complete backup of the phone in case anything goes awry later):
NOTE: You'll already be in HBOOT (if you followed the instructions above to verify that root was successful) so do the backup now.
- While in HBOOT, use the volume buttons to navigate down to RECOVERY and press the Power button. The phone will appear to reboot but it will end up in the ClockWorkMod recovery screen.
- From now on use the trackball on the Incredible to scroll through options. Move to Backup and Restore, then select. This will show the Backup and Restore menu.
- Move to and select Backup to begin the process, which will take a few minutes.
- When the backup completes (several minutes- patience!) press the power button to return to the main ClockWorkMod menu
- Navigate to Reboot System, go.
- The phone should reboot into normal mode once backup is completed. Enjoy your phone!
BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY OTHER MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR PHONE (such as flashing ROMs, kernels, etc.) please do lots of research so you know what you're getting into, which options work best for you, etc.
UnrEVOked 3.32 is an all-in-one tool; YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN UNREVOKED FOREVER after rooting.
Security is turned off (S-off) by default when using this tool on the Incredible so there is nothing more that needs to be done.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST REQUESTING ASSISTANCE ROOTING YOUR PHONE.
ALL HELP REQUESTS MUST BE POSTED IN A NEW THREAD.