I just finished rooting my phone and decided I'd help out anyone that's having problems with it or just hasn't gone over to XDA and tried it for themselves yet!
This process is for S-Off, Recovery installation, and Root permissions. This method will ONLY work on the DINC2 2.3.3 GB OTA. If you aren't sure if it will work for your phone just check your "About Phone" in the settings. It may be a good idea to create a recovery between steps 18 and 19.
First off I am not responsible for what you do to your phone or anything that happens to it as a result of using this process. (please don't sue me!)
1. HTC drivers - http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
2. SuperUser/root .zip (to be flashed from recovery, NOT unzipped) - http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-220.127.116.11-efgh-signed.zip
Downloads for installing CWM (Optional):
Note: ONLY for use in installing ClockWorkMod manually. Do NOT download these if you let the Revolutionary S-Off tool download and install it for you.
3. Fastboot and ADB tool - http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1308537076
4. ClockWorkMod recovery .img - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10675316/cwm-18.104.22.168-vivow.img
1. Go to Revolutionary and click the download link at the bottom. (this guide is only for windows but i may update with linux instructions later)
2. Enter your OS (windows for this guide) device (HTC Droid Incredible 2) and HBoot version (there's only one option) in the blue box under the download link. Serial number will come in a minute.
3. Unzip/extract the zip you downloaded with your favorite zipping program. (I use WinRar but there are plenty of others that work just as well)
4. Run the revolutionary.exe
5. Make sure your phone has USB debugging enabled (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging) and fast boot disabled. (Settings -> Power -> fast boot)
6. Plug your phone in to your computer via USB.
7. Enter the serial number on the revolutionary website (told you) and click generate key.
8. Enter the generated beta key into the command prompt window. (if it doesn't accept it you probably entered it in wrong)
9. It will do it's thing for a minute or so, and after a while it will say success (hopefully) and ask if you want to download and install ClockWorkMod recovery.
10. When this guide was first made that functionality was broken, but now it seems it has been fixed. Enter "Y" and if it works you can skip the "Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery" section of this guide and go strait to the "Obtaining Root Privileges" section. If the window closes on you randomly or tells you it failed you will need to manually install CWM.
Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery (Optional):
Note/Warning: Do NOT do this part of the guide if you used the Revolutionary S-Off tool to install CWM. (successfully)
Note: From this point on, the majority of my information (including files and links) comes from this thread [Info] After Revolutionary: install Clockworkmod, root & more - xda-developers.
11. You will now need to download the fastboot and ADB tool (download # 3) and ClockWorkMod recovery (4) for the DINC2.
12. Open the command prompt and look at the directory it's pointing to. (should be something like "C:\Users\*your name*") extract the fastboot and ADB .zip to the *your name* folder, and move the CWM .img to the same location.
Note: I'm terrible with windows commands so there may be a way to do this without dumping everything into your user folder, but this works fine too.
13. Type "fastboot flash recovery *name_of_CWM_file*.img" into the command prompt and press enter. It should work for no more than a few seconds and then tell you it's done!
14. Now you can navigate the menu on your phone's screen with the volume up and down keys and select "Reboot" with the power key. BUT WAIT! Before it starts back up again you need to press and hold the volume down button until it turns on again! Did you read this before you selected reboot?? If not you had better hurry!!!! If you missed it it's fine you can just wait on the phone to boot up again and then reboot it like you always would. But remember to do it this time!
Obtaining Root Privileges:
15. Navigate the hboot menu with the volume keys and select "Recovery" with the power button. (If you don't see an option for "recovery" try doing step 14)
16. While you're waiting on it to reboot download/make sure you have downloaded this SuperUser/root .zip (2) (can you believe you still aren't rooted?? But it's okay you've been making good progress!)
17. Go back to your phone and take a look at that sweet new recovery! (I know. I wish i could change the color too.) Navigate to the "mounts and storage" option and select it (same keys as before) select "mount USB storage".
18. Copy the SuperUser/root .zip from your computer to your SD card once it shows up on your PC. (I like to have a folder on my SD card called "Updates" just to keep all my .zip files in one place)
Note: This is a good time to create a backup if you want to, but I haven't included those steps in this guide because it isn't essential to rooting your phone.
19. Once the file is done copying select "Unmount" then "***Go Back***" then "Install zip from SD card" then "Choose zip from SD card" then find the folder you put the SU/root .zip and select it then select "yes - Install *SU/root*.zip
20. Go back to the main screen in CWM and choose "Reboot system now" and you're all done!!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back!
This is my first guide so I'd love feedback of any kind and if you have any questions don't be afraid to either reply with it or PM me and I'll see what I can do :-)
HAVE FUN WITH YOUR FRESHLY ROOTED HTC INCREDIBLE 2!!
Don't be afraid to donate to Unrevoked and AlphaRev!
They did a lot of hard work and deserve to be rewarded for making all this possible :-)