(From a few posts down, thought it was REALLY important..) "Let me clarify something. You must be running the 2.01. So if you have the current ota you will not be able to root with this method."
To go back to stock from 2.1 official ota follow the steps here: Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf
If you are rooted and do not have the official ota you need to unroot a good tutorial can be found here: http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/unr...tock/#more-230
Step 1: Unroot back to stock. You know you are back to stock if you get this image when rebooting into recovery:
Step 2: follow these steps from ( http://www.droid-life.com/page/4/:) Because some people were having problems merging the file I did it for you. You can either do the entire step yourself from the droidlife site (who got it from alldroid) or just use the combined file below, labeled megaupload, and continue on with the steps that I laid out.
- Download file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=07S724HK
- Rename it update.zip (just update if you have windows 7)
- Mount your Droid via USB and place this new update.zip file in the root of your SD card.
- Unplug your phone and reboot into recovery. (Hold Power + X)
- Once the exclamation pops up, hit volume up and camera button (half way) at the same time.
- Using the d-pad, choose “apply update.zip”.
Step 3: Reboot into recovery and wipe data then reboot
Step 4: you need to install sprecovery image.
a) you can download the DM1.1 app. When you click to open the app it will automatically download and install the sprecovery image for you. You just want to open it to get the recovery nothing more. Exit DM...Do not load up any roms (ie DM 1.0 or Back to stock)
b) or you can install the sprecovery image manually.
Step 5: Choose a kernel from chevy and install the update.zip
a) click on the o/c kernel from the chevy thread. Rename it update.zip ( just update for windows 7 users) Mount your droid and install the update on to the root of your sdcard. The root means that it does not go into any folders.
c) reboot into recovery
e) click Allow update.zip
f) then install the update.zip
g) reboot system now
Link to droidmod app: from ..http://droidmod.org/
DroidMod Updater 11
March 29, 2010 Camel 28 comments
DMUpdater version 0.1.1 uses a new tool for reading and writing the recovery MTD that is compatible with users that have bad blocks. The updater should now work on every Droid, regardless of bad blocks. To install, click here directly from your phone’s browser.
UPDATE: Users running Koush’s CyanogenMod build are getting an error about the SD card not being mounted. The cause has been determined, and a fix is being tested.
Link to get your kernel: [UPDATE] New Kernels - Low Voltage + Medium Voltage - 3/25/2010
You now have a rooted droid with 2.1 ota and overclocked.
Suggested and recommended apps to spruce up your new droid
1) Helixlauncher 1: this allow you to add extra home screens (up to 7)
2) Setcpu: this is a must to overclock. Make sure device selection is set to auto detect and that you set a charging and a failsafe profile (550/250 is recommended setting for those profiles)
3) Barnacle Wifi Tethering: app that allows you to wifi tether
4) Astro file manager: Backs up your apps.
5) TempMonitor: monitors battery and processor temperatures. Highly recommended for overclocked droid
6) Beautiful Widgets: Nice weather and clock widget for the home screen.
7) Shoot me (or a screen capture app): So we can see pics of your rooted 2.1 droid.
The droidimage is from: http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/obtaining-root/
Important note: After running the 2.1 long enough to ensure your device is running smooth; make a nandroid back up immediately. This definitely should be done before flashing any other roms. Follow this to make a nandroid backup: http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/ful...roid/#more-241