DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jstafford1
  • 1 Post By jstafford1

Thread: What's in a name "DROID"

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

What's in a name "DROID"

Droid use to mean something at first it was the name for the sholes (aka) Motorola Droid and was the premier smart phone for vzw. Yeah we had the droid eris but lets be honest when people said Droid there was one device we thought of. Then as time went on we started seeing different droid devices made by different manufacturers. Well there is a report that Motorola has reached a deal with Verizon to become the exclusive manufacturer for the Droid-line. So now when you think droid think motorola. So the DNA 2 (if it becomes a vzw device) will not be a droid line but will be the HTC DNA 2 which could be a redundant device if they also get the HTC one.

Thoughts...
    Last edited by pc747; 07-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.

3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    I'm cool with it. Seemed the Moto phones were the only real Droids anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    cereal killer likes this.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    XT1080
    I loved my X
    and i like hearing DROID! when i'm out and about
    lol like i leave my house to go into society.
    "A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    To be honest, I'm kind of tired of the Droid branding. I loved the OG, DX, and Dinc 2, but now all it means is more fragmentation for Android users on Verizon, instead of having a nice clean set of OEM-originated devices across each carrier. But Verizon sure won't pass up on an opportunity to make an extra buck off of something like the Droid name!
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    The Droid brand did for Android what iPhone did for...well whatever it did. After the iPhone everything was ithis or I that whether it was smartphone related or not. Droid made everyone think an android phone was a droid. No matter the carrier or manufacturer. We all had Droids. Not as prolific as the iPhone but nonetheless its a close comparison. IPhone made smart phones cool and mainstream, Droid brought Android into the limelight. Without either....things might not be where they are now.

pc747 likes this.
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    The Droid brand did for Android what iPhone did for...well whatever it did. After the iPhone everything was ithis or I that whether it was smartphone related or not. Droid made everyone think an android phone was a droid. No matter the carrier or manufacturer. We all had Droids. Not as prolific as the iPhone but nonetheless its a close comparison. IPhone made smart phones cool and mainstream, Droid brought Android into the limelight. Without either....things might not be where they are now.

So true. I think people look at where the droid line is now and are angry mainly because of the locked bootloaders and the incremental improvements. Motorola Droid was THE android device of its time. Sadly motorola got lazy and threw stuff together and tried to serve it to the public under the DROID name. Still Motorola has continue to make improvements as they were the first to go long battery life with the razr maxx and they continue to ride that roller coaster. Many DROID fans are angry because we feel that if motorola seems to always be a step behind. The Motorola Razr hd (maxx) last year would have been a awesome device had it been released the year before. The Droid ultra HD (maxx) would have been a great device to compete against the Note 2 last year. Yeah the specs are competitive with devices like the note 2 except the note 2 was released last year. Still no matter what our feeling are about the direction motorola has went with their android-line they still were the oem who brought android to the lime light ans once people started rooting it, WOW. The droidforums went bananas.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    IPhone made smart phones cool and mainstream, Droid brought Android into the limelight. Without either....things might not be where they are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    I think people look at where the droid line is now and are angry mainly because... ...motorola got lazy and threw stuff together and tried to serve it to the public under the DROID name

They took what Jason said and did what any profit-focused corporation would do - milked the crap out of it (hmm, interesting phrase... ) and basically over-saturated the Droid name. I like the direction they've gone over the past year, but still wish we could drop the carrier-only brands and just stick with what the OEM's put out. Do any other carriers have their own brand of a device like the Droid lineup? I know T-Mobile and AT&T don't...
    Last edited by jntdroid; 07-23-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    @AECRADIO
    Phone
    Droid 2, Droid X, Moto-G

Droid...DOES!

I see all those cutesy Crapples, and all look and sound identical.
    From cases that cost as much as the phones, to odd sounds being emitted to be 'different' from the crowd, butApple never got with the program, and designed something unique.

I love the Droid sound when I have a call, or Kzurb Sonar when a message arrives.

The other sound is Moonbeam.

Droid Speaks always makes people listen, as the day to day monotonic ringtones do nothing to perk your senses when you receive a call, or message, like Droid Speaks, does. It makes people pay attention, and for those lacking social graces in a restaurant, I think it might get them an early seat outside!

Ahhh....Droid Al Fresco!

Give a hoot, don't noise pollute!
    Be unique, not arrogant!
    Ernest A. Erickson
    Payson, AZ.
    NCC-1701E

Links