DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Are flip phones dead?

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

Are flip phones dead?

Samsung doesn't think so as they will be releasing a flip phone whose screen is the familiar touchwiz look. The Samsung Galaxy Folder is a dual core low resolution device running android who's spokesman is none other than Jackie Chan himself. Time will tell if this ever makes it stateside but this would be a nice low to mid range smartphone to help strengthen a carrier's portfolio.

FoxKat, KaChow, guidot and 1 others like this.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Frankly I think this will hit the market right in an area almost forgotten...the elderly. There are a LOT of people later in years who want to carry a phone, but can't handle the touch-screen tablet type interfaces of today's phones...and yet want the added features of a good camera, apps for specific functions, and the ability to see pics and videos of the grandkids. I can see this being a surprisingly big seller. I could also see this being a hit with business-types who prefer the "feel" of the clamshell phone against the ear and face, and who appreciate the minimal but appreciable level of privacy such a device also provides.

It's beautifully styled, the color scheme is awesome, and it's a full-featured Android phone to boot. I can see it selling very well to those who haven't yet made the transition to a smartphone too.

There's a reason why the RAZR (not to be confused with the DROID RAZR), sold so well. Its sleek styling and flat keyboard that actually worked even with fatter fingers makes for a great combination. The addition of a full-size screen on the back and Android as an OS makes this Samsung GRAZR (I coined that name!!) a nice blend.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 07-16-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    guidot, pc747, dezymond and 1 others like this.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1046 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Jackie Chan is the spokesman for this new phone. Time to see if this'll convince grandma to finally get a cell phone
    FoxKat and pc747 like this.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    I think that's actually kinda cool. Seems like a retrofuture concept from the early 00's.
    FoxKat likes this.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    LikwidE
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Frankly I think this will hit the market right in an area almost forgotten...the elderly.
    ^ This.
    FoxKat likes this.
  6. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1046 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Yup, old school meets modern tech and it looks pretty good too.

Too bad this will probably stay in china, don't think there's a real market here in the US. Well there is, but as usual they go ignored.
    FoxKat likes this.
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    Yup, old school meets modern tech and it looks pretty good too.

Too bad this will probably stay in china, don't think there's a real market here in the US. Well there is, but as usual they go ignored.
    This is a copy cat industry don't think Verizon and att who are trying to find ways to get more people of data plans are not looking at this. Phones like this takes off first in places like china and then will make it's way over here whether it be in the form of the Samsung folder or Motorola RAZR flip . Like foxkat said there is an untapped market that this phone sits in real well. The elderly get a phone they feel familiar with while getting a phone that will allow them to see pics more vibrantly. I say within a year (if not sooner) we will see a variant in the us. Lg who are known for flip phones and have seemed to follow Sammy are probably working on their own version. Its like the blackberry pearl all over again except with an os that can bring the bells and whistles in the form of apps for a cheaper price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    FoxKat likes this.
  8. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Another area this fits in is the people who prefer flip phones because of durability and simplicity now they get that with a little more pizzazz and the carriers get more people on data plans.

FoxKat and D_B like this.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    Another area this fits in is the people who prefer flip phones because of durability and simplicity now they get that with a little more pizzazz and the carriers get more people on data plans.

I truly miss my old flip phones for the above you wrote and the Jethro Gibbs slam it shut factor.
    When my dad passed since I am the cellphone freak in the family I got his barely used Samsung flip phone that was designed for the truly elderly that just wanted a phone. It makes calls and has a VERY loud speaker and speakerphone. It's got a few bells and whistles like the d pad is for your 4 most called numbers, a dedicated 911 key and it'll do texts but it's design is simplistic with large buttons and large fonts on the screen and not much else.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano
    FoxKat likes this.
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA
  10. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1046 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    I do hope you're right PC. And I can definitely see a market for this kind of phone, but that first hurdle is bringing it stateside. I hope it does well in China (and it should cause they got a buncha other cool phones I wish came here) so that Samsung or any other major manufacturer considers bringing something like this to the table here in the US.

I think smart flip-phones have been done before but not like this.
    FoxKat likes this.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links