DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DroidModderX
  • 1 Post By mountainbikermark

Thread: HTC Releases Clarification Regarding Custom Roms and RUUs

1. DF News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    584 times
    Twitter
    @DroidModderX
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus!!!!
    Premium Member

HTC Releases Clarification Regarding Custom Roms and RUUs

Recently HTC took down a website that was known for hosting HTC RUU files and other Roms. This sparked a bunch of commotion and some fear in the HTC mod community. Some folks have been wondering if this means that HTC has taken an official stand against custom Roms and the use of stock RUU files. Rumors spread rapidly, and HTC has decided to clarify the situation via a blog post. They have said that they did not take down the website because it hosted Roms and RUUs rather the website was taken down because it used HTC trademarks without a license from HTC. The domain name of the site contained HTC and it had HTC logos which could have been confused for an official HTC website. They decided to go after the site because they do not want to be associated or blamed for software that they have not officially released.

HTC also said that they openly embrace the development that chooses to flash custom Roms on to their device. They went on to site the HTCdev bootloader unlock tool as evidence that they do in fact support the dev community. So The sky is not falling and HTC is not going to go after other websites that decide to host RUUs and Roms. They simply wanted to protect their brand and their reputation.

Via blog.htc.com
    jroc likes this.
    My Phone: Galaxy Note 3 .. My Backup Device: Galaxy S4, My Backup Backup Device: Motorola Razr HD Dev Edition, My wife has taken over the old trusty Moto X

Follow Me On Twitter @DroidModderX
    for all the latest DROID News!

DroidForums News Team. If you have a Mod or Rom or Theme or App or Game or Anything Root Related PM me!
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Makes sense.

This woulda been helpful to know at the time all this went down. So....you mean the folks behind that site didnt know this? They couldnty come out and say this? Interesting....
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  3. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Well that's good to hear, still a bad move and this will have some consequences to their customers and potential customers though.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member

Re: HTC Releases Clarification Regarding Custom Roms and RUUs

Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    Well that's good to hear, still a bad move and this will have some consequences to their customers and potential customers though.
    When they sue a Polish grocery store for their domain name they'll lose me as a customer.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano
    jroc likes this.
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA

Links