DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Likwid_E

Thread: Would you buy a phone with built-in… airbags?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Would you buy a phone with built-in… airbags?

There have been a lot of inventions and innovations to behold over the years. Many advances have been made in mobile alone, including small cameras, mini projectors, NFC chips and more. All of that may not seem amazing in the here and now — we’re quite used to the usual bells and whistles of today’s smartphones, after all. But I bet not many have ever thought about this one: airbags.

That’s right, what would you say to a phone that came with a working airbag system? The idea was put in the spotlight by the Interesting Engineering Google+ account. Said system would use sensors which could calculate sudden changes in velocity and direction to determine if a phone is about to fall, and would react as a car would following sudden impact.

The airbags would protrude from the top and bottom of the phone, creating a nice air-cushioned buffer between the point of impact and the phone itself to protect it from any damage. The illustration also shows how the phone could emit jets of air to change the phone’s trajectory before it slams against the pavement or whatever it is about to hit.
    I can’t think of any OEM that would be crazy enough to implement such a thing even if it is possible to engineer in a practical way. For starters, doesn’t a simple shock-absorbing case suffice for most people? Heck, even bumper cases can provide enough protection against your typical drops and tumbles. Also, what customer is going to want to have to restore the airbags after each and every drop?

And to that fact, who’s going to want to deal with the headaches of false readings? I’m not sure how precise a sensor would have to be to make sure it doesn’t become a problem, but I surely wouldn't want my phone to vomit bags and air if I decided to jump for whatever reason. Still, it’s an interesting idea that makes you wonder what more could be done to help protect users’ smartphones.

Apparently this technology has been patented by someone but we can’t seem to find any details on that. Interesting Engineer suggests patents exist not only for airbag mechanisms inside phones, but inside cases, as well. It could be a very nice piece of tech for case manufacturers to present to those working in conditions where drops might be common, such as construction.

It’s not something I’d want on my smartphone full time, but if I could buy a case to take on days where I think I might need added protection it would be nice to have. There are a lot of questions surrounding the idea, but it all comes down to this: would you buy one? Be it a phone or a case, would you accept the airbags movement?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    the problem most will have with this, is that airbag built into the phone mean less space in the phone for hardware tech. Which is a set back. People want more powerful phones, not a setback at the hands of a safety mechanic for people that may drop their phones.
  4. Droid Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    266 times
    Phone
    droid MAXX
    The implication of that tech would be more than giving free insurance.

Let alone of litigious people claiming injuries due to being slapped upside their head while being on the phone.

Just puppy footing around. (auto correct)
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    LikwidE
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Imagine laying in bed accidentally dropping the phone on your face.
    Shadez likes this.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo
    there's already bumpers so air-bags seems unnecessary.
    I wouldn't buy that phone because it'll be extra expensive. I'd buy a phone with a better GPU / CPU instead.
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    DNA
    Don't most phones get their own airbags within minutes of delivery anyway?

Seriously, I think people would find this kind of protection much more interesting:

HzO looking to make splash with smartphone waterproofing | Crave - CNET

Jeff Deutsch
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    the idea sounds.... cartoonish.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member

Re: Would you buy a phone with built-in… airbags?

Don't know who patented it ? One guess, and it rhymes with Snapple, I'd bet.
    It'd never work with a Verizon phone because before the airbag would deploy it would have to check with the network and make sure the subscription fee was paid

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA

Links