DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Apple Reportedly Changes Battery Suppliers As Samsung Walks

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Phone
    Moto X

Apple Reportedly Changes Battery Suppliers As Samsung Walks

Apple has reportedly changed its battery suppliers for the iPad and MacBook lines to Amperex Technology Limited and Tianjin Lishen Battery, both Chinese firms, after Samsung SDI (Samsungís battery-producing subsidiary) stopped supplying Apple, the China Business News reports. If accurate, this would be just the latest in a series of rifts between the two companies.

Samsung is a crucial component partner for Apple and will remain so at least in the near future, according to CEO Tim Cook on Appleís most recent quarterly conference call. But recently, rumors have been swirling that the supplier relationship between Samsung and Apple is in the process of eroding. In the past couple of months, weíve seen reports that Samsung had increased processor prices for Apple (which the company denied) and also claims that Apple was terminating the display supply relationship with the Korean company (also later denied).

The two companies are locked in a global patent battle and are each otherís primary competition in the global smartphone race. In light of the strained relationship, itís natural that people should expect their supply chain arrangements to suffer, too. And there has been tangible proof; Apple did indeed remove crucial design components for its A-series processors out of Samsungís hands and in-house, which reduces Samsung to just a manufactory partner. Apple has also reportedly been grooming TSMC and others to take over chip production in the future.

But for all the reports, there seems to be little hard evidence that the relationship is indeed collapsing. Put simply, Samsung has capacity that Apple canít find elsewhere, and Apple has a very lucrative contract with Samsung, meaning changing their relationship quickly isnít easy or beneficial to either.

This battery supplier report is just the latest in a series of indicators that the relationship between the two could be undergoing a slow but inevitable shift, but donít expect to see Apple and Samsung walk away from each other entirely for quite a while yet.

Source: Apple Reportedly Changes Battery Suppliers As Samsung Walks | TechCrunch
    Droid does...Apple bites

2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Should have sold my stock when it was $705USD/share. Damn...

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Foolishness everywhere...
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member

Re: Apple Reportedly Changes Battery Suppliers As Samsung Walks

I still have apple stock... watching this closely....

Yes its true.. I invested in rotten fruit.. about 4 years ago..
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Samsung galaxy note 2

Re: Apple Reportedly Changes Battery Suppliers As Samsung Walks

Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    I still have apple stock... watching this closely....

Yes its true.. I invested in rotten fruit.. about 4 years ago..
    Im not mad at you . Money is money no matter how you get it

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Phone
    Droid 2, 3, 4, & DNA
    I love the fact that Apple is an American company, but why does it have to be such an a$$.

Links