DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: verizons plan to eliminate unlimited data

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentmajord View Post
    Well I got done talking to a vzw rep but he pretty much laid out in front of me a 4 yr vzw plan to get rid of unlimited data he stated vzw will eliminate all unlimited data plans within 4 yrs stating that vzw believes tiered data is the new norm an better for the people they are going to try an slowly transition it ie. Share everything plans or forcible removal via new contracts by the end of 2016 we all saw how they tried to be sneaky an trick us into leaving our unlimited data they now have conclude to put away the carrot an bring out the stick who plans to stay with vzw now? He also stated that in 1-2 yrs when all 3g devices have been changed to 4g they are going to implement throttling after 5 gigs of data usage also this was from a vzw rep so take it for a grain of salt this has not been confirmed but sounds just like what vzw would do
    My question is simple. How can Verizon justify the comment that tiered data is better for the people? Better in what way? I see no benefits to "the people", just to the carriers.
    Verizonisbaaad likes this.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    Share plans are better for people wanting to have multiple devices. Instead of having to pay for multiple contracts you just pay the $10-$30 for the access fee onto your $100 plan. Which does save some people money. I personally do not save money by switching. That's why I'm keeping mine.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    My question is simple. How can Verizon justify the comment that tiered data is better for the people? Better in what way? I see no benefits to "the people", just to the carriers.
    It's cheaper for me than my existing plan. We're not huge data users so buying 2 data buckets makes no sense for us. If you're a heavy data user or coming from an unlimited plan, it's hard to justify the move.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    I looked last night and it would save me about $30-40 over my current plan. I have 3 data plans and totaling the highest usage of the last 6 months we were still under 4GB. I think with 6GB that would give us plenty of room to grow. I am going to have a discussion with the others and see what they think. There are two simple phones on the plan too so we are maxed out and I could add more devices if I want to in the future too.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker5208 View Post
    I looked last night and it would save me about $30-40 over my current plan. I have 3 data plans and totaling the highest usage of the last 6 months we were still under 4GB. I think with 6GB that would give us plenty of room to grow. I am going to have a discussion with the others and see what they think. There are two simple phones on the plan too so we are maxed out and I could add more devices if I want to in the future too.
    Im looking at the same thing. We have 4 phones (2 iphones, my bionic, and a basic phone). All 3 smart phones have unlimited but when I added up the usage over the last 6 months never hit 4 gig in any month combined. Thats with me averaging 2-3 gig on my phone alone. Right now I get an 18% discount on the main line for the line itself and internet. If everything goes bundled I am curious how they will handle that going forward. I have a ton of questions but just need to call or visit the local store and start asking. Losing unlimited would suck but with how much we actually use, if I can save money starting now, I can start putting it away for when they stop subsidising phones DOH!
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by zomnomnombie
    Share plans are better for people wanting to have multiple devices. Instead of having to pay for multiple contracts you just pay the $10-$30 for the access fee onto your $100 plan. Which does save some people money. I personally do not save money by switching. That's why I'm keeping mine.
    $200 subsidized device or free depending on a $30 data plan vs $500 and a $10 or $20 monthly fee on top of your data doesnt seem like it saves anyone.
    Verizonisbaaad likes this.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    DX > SGS3
    What I don't understand is why they didn't make tiered/family share plans EXTREMELY attractive to lure more people away from their unlimited (and new customers away from other carriers), at least for a couple years, and THEN raised prices. We personally don't need unlimited. With two smartphones we go thru less than 4gb a month. I've said many times that sharing data is an awesome idea. But they missed the mark on their pricing. Either the access fees should have been lower ($20 for SP, $10 for FP) OR the data "buckets" should have been lower ($30 for 2gb, $40 for 3, etc...)
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Droid X --> SGS3 --> Note II
    Well, It's been kind of obvious for awhile that VZW will phase out unlimited data...there's no real profit in it for them. They've already stopped new customers from getting it (last year), only allowing "grandfathered" clients to hold on to it. Now (June 28), they've stopped grandfathered, subsidized clients from doing it. Right now, no one can BUY an unlimited plan, they can only renew it by paying full retail price for a new phone, meaning the CLIENT is subsidizing unlimited data!
    So, unlimited data will stay profitable for VZW for awhile, since the client is paying for it. But sure, at some point in the future, they can simply say, "Well, unlimited data is proving to be a huge drain on our resources and thus a drain on our ability to service our customers, so as of August 1, 2014 (or 2013, or even 2012), we will automatically convert users of unlimited data to a 4 GB plan, at a reduced rate (or not)...blah blah.
    They can do this at any time, so let's just enjoy UD while we've got it. I've never expected to keep UD indefinitely. Someday, it's going to go away, and you can cuss and threaten to leave Verizon and go to Change.org all you want...but consider this: How many times has Verizon changed ANYTHING because of customer protest? Not a long list, I'll bet.
    Beka27 likes this.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    --Thomas A. Edison
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    I would rather pay full price for an unlocked phone and have unlimited data.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    Looking at how good no contract hardware selection and monthly rates are now, I'm no doubt going contract free next time around.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links