DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Is 4G LTE Verizon On Different Network Than 3G

  1. FREE100KSECRET's Avatar
    Member #
    201484
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    30
    Phone
    Droid 2
    #1

    Is 4G LTE Verizon On Different Network Than 3G

    Curious,

    Is 4G a different network than 3G or is it just the devices have to be 4G? In order to save my unlimited data plan, I am being induced to upgrade to 4G phone, but I am not in an area where I get 4G, so is there any advantage I don't know about? Experimenting, it appears that using a 4G phone seems to be running faster than my existing 3G, so is it just the phones, or the network routing different too.

    Thanks,
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Ninja
    nikecar's Avatar
    Member #
    207706
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,250
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #2
    4g will give you an obvious faster browsing experience, and will allow you to download things faster such as apps, music, videos etc.

    If you look at the specs of the new phones.which are all 4G phones, most will have a performqnce edge in the hardware over older phones that are only 3g. So even if you aren't in a 4g area, if you have a newer phone, it will probably be a faster phone (opening files, gaming, etc). The overall browsing if both in a 3g area won't be any different, but the OS should be zippier on the newer phone.

    Of course there are exceptions.

    Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  4. Master Droid
    d4dEf@c@'s Avatar
    Member #
    200046
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    638
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Tweaked Stock Bionic
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by FREE100KSECRET View Post
    Curious,

    Is 4G a different network than 3G or is it just the devices have to be 4G? In order to save my unlimited data plan, I am being induced to upgrade to 4G phone, but I am not in an area where I get 4G, so is there any advantage I don't know about? Experimenting, it appears that using a 4G phone seems to be running faster than my existing 3G, so is it just the phones, or the network routing different too.

    Thanks,
    4g LTE is on a different spectrum or frequency band. It requires a different radio than what is available in a 3g phone; the physical receiver and transmitter.

    If you upgrade now and get to keep your unlimited data you will have 4g when you travel to an area with 4g and when they get around to upgrading the towers in your area you'll have unlimited data over 3g.

    I hope that helps.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Veritas vos Liberabit

    K.C. Cole
    Android Ninja

  5. FREE100KSECRET's Avatar
    Member #
    201484
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    30
    Phone
    Droid 2
    #4
    Thanks, looks like I will be upgrading to Razr then even without 4g access yet. I was guessing the dual core processor may have something to do with it, but given the fact that Verizon is stopping unlimited data plan for 3G, thought there was more to it, as in, getting data off 3G network due to overload. Speed has been dropping off and I have had issues of having to turn off phone and restart it constantly to speed it up. Could have been heavy use in area, or some form of choking data plans which I have been reading about. Sure hope Verizon doesn't pull a fast one and pull the plug on unlimited data plans like others are doing.

    Thanks,
  6. Master Droid
    d4dEf@c@'s Avatar
    Member #
    200046
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    638
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Tweaked Stock Bionic
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by FREE100KSECRET View Post
    Thanks, looks like I will be upgrading to Razr then even without 4g access yet. I was guessing the dual core processor may have something to do with it, but given the fact that Verizon is stopping unlimited data plan for 3G, thought there was more to it, as in, getting data off 3G network due to overload. Speed has been dropping off and I have had issues of having to turn off phone and restart it constantly to speed it up. Could have been heavy use in area, or some form of choking data plans which I have been reading about. Sure hope Verizon doesn't pull a fast one and pull the plug on unlimited data plans like others are doing.

    Thanks,
    You haven't heard.... They are getting rid of unlimited data maybe by the end of the summer. To get a discount on your next upgrade you will be forced to moved to a tiered plan unless you buy your own equipment. They also implemented the $30 upgrade fee.

    From MIUIv4 for Bionic w/ Tap2
    Veritas vos Liberabit

    K.C. Cole
    Android Ninja

  7. FREE100KSECRET's Avatar
    Member #
    201484
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    30
    Phone
    Droid 2
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by d4dEf@c@ View Post
    You haven't heard.... They are getting rid of unlimited data maybe by the end of the summer. To get a discount on your next upgrade you will be forced to moved to a tiered plan unless you buy your own equipment. They also implemented the $30 upgrade fee.

    From MIUIv4 for Bionic w/ Tap2
    Yes, I got hit by this $30. upgrade fee which is new, but I was holding out not to waste money on new 4G given I only really care about home computer access to internet, and with no 4G in area yet, I was waiting for the next best deal, instead I got hit with the $30. upgrade fee. lol Did save $100. on Razr, but am not happy with it so far. Doesn't seem much faster, less lockups where I had to turn off phone and restart, so at least I see some improvement.

    As to the unlimited data which I was informed would only carry over if I upgraded to 4G, so yes, the unlimited was announced to be discontunued for all existing 3G plans, so if I get screwed like AT&T did on their unlimited data plan discontinuous, then I will be pissed and will drop Verizon like a rock given no 4G benefits for how I use phone other than the unlimited plan continuation which was promised. Time will tell as it always does. Curious, are all 4G networks the same, I liked T-Mobile's new 4G $30. a month pre-pay unlimited data plan deal just launched. I will be checking to see if their 4G may be in my area now or sooner than Verizon. With so many changes, you have to keep up with which is best value these days.

    Thanks,
  8. Junior Droid
    Xavier81411's Avatar
    Member #
    266306
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    15
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FREE100KSECRET

    As to the unlimited data which I was informed would only carry over if I upgraded to 4G, so yes, the unlimited was announced to be discontunued for all existing 3G plans, so if I get screwed like AT&T did on their unlimited data plan discontinuous, then I will be pissed and will drop Verizon like a rock given no 4G benefits for how I use phone other than the unlimited plan continuation which was promised. Time will tell as it always does. Curious, are all 4G networks the same, I liked T-Mobile's new 4G $30. a month pre-pay unlimited data plan deal just launched. I will be checking to see if their 4G may be in my area now or sooner than Verizon. With so many changes, you have to keep up with which is best value these days.

    Thanks,
    4G LTE is currently only on Verizon and differs from 4G offered by others. They operate on WiMax? I believe its called. Slightly enhanced 3G if you ask me..haven't used it so not sure.
  9. Senior Droid
    ryanr509's Avatar
    Member #
    260401
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    124
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    droid razr
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier81411

    4G LTE is currently only on Verizon and differs from 4G offered by others. They operate on WiMax? I believe its called. Slightly enhanced 3G if you ask me..haven't used it so not sure.
    Att also has 4g lte.sprint has wimax but they are getting rid of it and starting their lte in 2013. Tmobile I believe is Hspa+ which is an enhanced 3g.but if u can pull down the same 15-30mbps why would it matter if what its called? On Verizon 3g 5/5 bars I pull down about 1.5mbps. My buddy on att with 3 or 4 out of 5 bars on 3g pulls down around 5-8mbps most of the time.
  10. Droid Ninja
    sargentmajord's Avatar
    Member #
    238495
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,195
    Liked
    133 times
    Phone
    Droid 4/ Bionic/ RAZR/ Droid
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FREE100KSECRET
    Curious,

    Is 4G a different network than 3G or is it just the devices have to be 4G? In order to save my unlimited data plan, I am being induced to upgrade to 4G phone, but I am not in an area where I get 4G, so is there any advantage I don't know about? Experimenting, it appears that using a 4G phone seems to be running faster than my existing 3G, so is it just the phones, or the network routing different too.

    Thanks,
    Just for fun facts the frequency that is 4G use to be the frequency that gave us our analog tv before we went digital now u can see why its so fast
  11. FREE100KSECRET's Avatar
    Member #
    201484
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    30
    Phone
    Droid 2
    #10
    For what it is worth, now that I have been using new Razor, even if only on 3G at my home, it is a bit faster, but more importantly, it does not lock up as often where I would have to turn phone off and on several times a day. I suppose the dual core is the only reason it seems a bit faster, but I had to upgrade in order to keep unlimited data which is all I really use phone for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon Network?
    By spower in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 09:00 AM
  2. Verizon network down again?
    By lgalcarte in forum Droid Bionic Tech Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 06:47 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
  4. HTC Evo 4G on verizon 3G network
    By cobirch2 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 09:24 AM
  5. Verizon and it's 3G Network
    By cybertec69 in forum HTC Droid Incredible
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Search tags for this page

4g device is in a 3g area
,

4g phone in 3g area

,
4g phones in 3g areas
,
does 3g and 4g use the same towers
,
does a 3g phone work on a 4g tower
,

how fast is verizon 3g

,
how is 4g different from 3g
,
how to change network 4 g lte to 3 g thunderbolt verizon
,

verizon 4g phone in 3g area

,
verizon 4g tower 3g phone
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+