DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: So would you use this new Os on a smart phone / a laptop similar to chrome ?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I love all Mozilla Products they make the best ?

2 25.00%
  • No i will stick with android

2 25.00%
  • I will have to see what this new OS is made of first before I make a decsion

4 50.00%

Thread: Mozilla Building Android Based Mobile OS to Rival Chrome/Android

1. The GRD Dev Team
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    THEGRDDEVTEAM
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D Virgin Mobile
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member

Smile Mozilla Building Android Based Mobile OS to Rival Chrome/Android

Mozilla Building Android Based Mobile OS to Rival Chrome/Android

by Chris Chavez on July 26th, 2011 at 12:11 am

Today, Mozilla (the Firefox guys) revealed their plans to build an operating system very much like Google’s own Chrome OS where apps run off of a browser but for mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. The project is being codenamed “Boot to Gecko” because it takes the Gecko engine from Firefox and transforms it into an open-source operating system. Sound familiar? Well, it should.
    It’s not too much unlike the idea behind our beloved Android operating system and is bringing back memories of that Mozilla concept phone running off of Android. In fact, Boot to Gecko will actually be based off of Android even thought Mozilla’s VP of Technical Strategy insists they will try to, “use as little of Android as possible.” Basically, they need Android’s kernels and drivers simply to get the device booting.
    Taking to heart the idea of open source, developers working with the project intend for it to become a “complete, standalone operating system for the open web.” Instead of building apps using the Android SDK, the platform will instead focus on HTML5 based applications. The company wrote on their blog:
    “We will do this work in the open, we will release the source in real-time, we will take all successful additions to an appropriate standards group, and we will track changes that come out of that process. We aren’t trying to have these native-grade apps just run on Firefox, we’re trying to have them run on the web.”
    Which devices can we possibly expect to run this new Mozilla OS? Shaver mentioned that the company is looking towards Nvidia Tegra 2 devices because they offer hardware acceleration of open audio and video formats.
    As far as their intentions go, Mozilla’s Andreas Gal says their ultimate goal is to break “the stranglehold of proprietary technologies over the mobile device world.” Reminds me a lot of Android when it first started. Android has done pretty well for itself when faced against closed OS’s like Apple’s iOS and although Boot to Gecko is still in its infancy, it’s interesting to see another open source rival step into the ring. Maybe we’re closer to the Mozilla Seabird than we thought…

SOURCE: PHANDROID/TWITTER
    WoZzY
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID 2
    Honestly, I don't really think mozilla has any business in mobile. But I guess we will see. It just seems like it would fall short of the competition because of entering this late, and not to mention does not seem to differentiate from android too much.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr v3c
    Competition is always a good thing. Unless you're trying to take another man's fries.
    Canon 5D II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. 2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000, BST Wheels, Brembo 19RCS. Motorola Razr V3c.
  4. The GRD Dev Team
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    THEGRDDEVTEAM
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D Virgin Mobile
    Premium Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by floobmonsrake View Post
    Honestly, I don't really think mozilla has any business in mobile. But I guess we will see. It just seems like it would fall short of the competition because of entering this late, and not to mention does not seem to differentiate from android too much.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

its android based so we might be looking @ something along the lines of the next nexus device but put out by mozzilla i would not mind another vanilla based android ...& too be honest nit looks pretty bad ass
    WoZzY
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Very interesting and a little exciting, I just question whether or how Mozilla has the resources to really compete - Google, MS and Apple are behemoths and I can't imagine Mozilla can keep pace.

Still, given the open nature of Android, it's an interesting prospect for dual-boot or maybe even integrated in a rom.

But everything is heading toward the cloud. Why, when storage is so cheap, do I want to be held captive by my internet connection? Sure, you can talk about the processing power and speed, but you're still constrained by internet speeds.
  6. The GRD Dev Team
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    THEGRDDEVTEAM
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D Virgin Mobile
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Very interesting and a little exciting, I just question whether or how Mozilla has the resources to really compete - Google, MS and Apple are behemoths and I can't imagine Mozilla can keep pace.

Still, given the open nature of Android, it's an interesting prospect for dual-boot or maybe even integrated in a rom.

But everything is heading toward the cloud. Why, when storage is so cheap, do I want to be held captive by my internet connection? Sure, you can talk about the processing power and speed, but you're still constrained by internet speeds.
    agreed but i cant wait to see what this thing is made of thats for sure
    WoZzY
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    This is interesting. Its how Android used to be/should be. Open source before it got locked down by carriers/manufacturers.

Thank goodness for the aftermarket and development.

SSX v2.0
    -Brad
  8. The GRD Dev Team
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    THEGRDDEVTEAM
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D Virgin Mobile
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad92 View Post
    This is interesting. Its how Android used to be/should be. Open source before it got locked down by carriers/manufacturers.

Thank goodness for the aftermarket and development.

SSX v2.0

yeah mozzilla i believe will deliver the utlimate android experience back to us ..bring back the good old days of the OG DROID ....but only time will tell
    WoZzY
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I am eager to know how the OS released by Mozilla is working. Can anyone please share its user experience?

Links