DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye illegal tethering

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    guess all the people who replaced their ISP with Verizon 3G will have to save up some money so they can have internet now haha
    Haha....It's probably why the so many have been irate/crying/threatening the last 6 months when they thought LTE rates were getting jacked and an end to unlimited data. Now everyone is rushing to lock-in and I have to question what you really will be locking in. I thought VZW would probably cap (and maybe effectively they will/are with throttling), but certainly they won't just continue to ignore tethering abuse.

I was going to say it's really tough to go over 2gigs unless you watch a lot of video and/or d/l torrents, but flashing roms is starting to hog bandwidth (100megs+ just to d/l all your apps again from market, plus 70+ on the rom itself).
    Yeah no chance that they'll continue to allow unbridled tethering on 4G. I agree that using it in a pinch shouldn't be that big a deal, especially if you're not using any more then you normally would in a monthly cycle, but if they want to crack down on that too that's their prerogative. But it must totally suck for those who play PS3 and XBOX simultaneously while downloading torrents and streaming music all through their phone. There's a few people on this forum who I can think of who have employed the old "I pay for unlimited so I will violate my TOS if I want to" justification. Can't say I feel sorry for them though...
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    MOTOR DRUID
    hmm, so for people with verizon who are paying for an unlimited data plan...
    that very well may be taken away?

i wonder what would happen if i went into their store and attempted to renegotiate the terms of my contract. "oh well, seen as i barely even use 5gb a month i shouldn't have to pay the full thirty dollars"...

i'm all for people being responsible and not taking advantage but this is like lying, right? indian givers.

well, i guess it's good that the only time i use wireless tether is to show people that my phone has wireless tether.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodooru View Post
    They see all data that you use, what I am saying is that the amount I tether doesn't show a huge jump from my average data usage on the phone. Basically a month where I did some tethering and a month without it my data usage is comparable.
    There's that, plus it just really doesn't make sense to expend any resources examining people who use less than 2gigs (and probably more, >5gigs and possibly >10).

I'm sure if there isn't already alternatives someone will come up with a way to "fake" tethering so it's indistinguishable from simply high smartphone use. Then there's the question of what to do with HDMI mirror since you're technically not tethering but get the same basic benefit.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    I can see them cracking down on top users but for people using less than 5GB they shouldn't touch us. I can use more than that with just my phone. I tether rarely but I do tether if I need to.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jengas kahn View Post

i wonder what would happen if i went into their store and attempted to renegotiate the terms of my contract. "oh well, seen as i barely even use 5gb a month i shouldn't have to pay the full thirty dollars"...

i'm all for people being responsible and not taking advantage but this is like lying, right? indian givers.

well, i guess it's good that the only time i use wireless tether is to show people that my phone has wireless tether.
    Wrong. the provisions of the unlimited plan do not allow tethering, in fact it specifically disallows it. If people don't read their TOS, that's not verizon's fault.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang02 View Post
    I can see them cracking down on top users but for people using less than 5GB they shouldn't touch us. I can use more than that with just my phone. I tether rarely but I do tether if I need to.
    Yeah financially it doesn't make sense for them to go after those who use it once in a blue. They can if they wanted to, and we wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they did, but I don't see them going after light tether-ers either.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by jengas kahn View Post
    Unlimited tether is explicitly EXCLUDED in your unlimited data plan.

Also, I'm sure VZW makes no claims or guarantees with regard to speed. $30 at 3G speeds vs. $30 at 2mbps is still creating value for you, granted not truly "unlimited".
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    CoFoltman84
    Phone
    One X...For now...
    i hit about 2gb a month whether im illegally tethering or not. my internet use stays the same.

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    MOTOR DRUID
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Also, I'm sure VZW makes no claims or guarantees with regard to speed. $30 at 3G speeds vs. $30 at 2mbps is still creating value for you, granted not truly "unlimited".

what do you mean by this? i thought 3g and 2mbps were pretty much the same speed, at least in my experience/with my rural location.
  10. Johnly
    Yup, pirating is illegal, but plenty of ways around that.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links