DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye illegal tethering

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaBlue View Post
    That's not the case. Its the people who use their mobile phone for internet on their computer. Data use on device < data use on computer. Contract fine print is an sob.
    That's what it boils down to. They never intended for the unlimited plan to be a home broadband replacement, which is why they EXPLICITLY excluded tethering. They know that realistically 99% of people can only consume so much data on their phone, and they're fine with whatever you can eat in that scenario.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    this thread is full of people who actually get it, and people who refuse to see it...its pretty clear cut whats happening, why AT&T is doing it, and the differences between "unlimited data" on your cellphone and tethering. the people who are arguing that they "pay for unlimited" just refuse to make the distinction (i refuse to believe that they really can't comprehend the difference...clear cut case of trying to justify something you know is wrong)
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    I have had the wireless tether application installed for almost a year now and I have used it once when the power went out - by no means is it a home service replacement however it is nice in case of an emergency

4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2
    I see both sides of the story but seriously...at 80-100 dollars per person, I think these companies are making enough money as it is. They just found that enough people do it bc its an amazing resource, so what's better than to charge for it. "Not on my watch" is all I hear from the smug dude who really cares. Everything uses data. And for you concerned citizens who need to hear yourself say do the right thing, go stop a crack dealer. Not someone using their phone for the internet.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tp76 View Post
    I have had the wireless tether application installed for almost a year now and I have used it once when the power went out - by no means is it a home service replacement however it is nice in case of an emergency
    amen - if everyone treated it like that, it wouldn't be an issue (i'm the same way - used it at home and work only a couple of times when we've lost power...)
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Twitter
    X13thAngelX
    Phone
    DX/D2G
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tp76 View Post
    amen - if everyone treated it like that, it wouldn't be an issue (i'm the same way - used it at home and work only a couple of times when we've lost power...)
    +1

Only time I've used it was when I had a research paper due the next day and Charter was working on our internet. It keeps dropping too much for me to use consistently.

Sent from my RubiXed D2G
    CM9 builds for D2G, D2, and DX
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by killavbeez View Post
    And for you concerned citizens who need to hear yourself say do the right thing, go stop a crack dealer. Not someone using their phone for the internet.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
    "I make enough money as it is, so I'm not going to capitalize on something else that will make me more money". It has nothing to do with right and wrong, or ethics and morals. VZW is a business not a charity. The only company that wouldn't charge for something like tethering is a failed company. The whole "let's stick it to the man" stuff is cool when you're a teenager (I guess) but when you're an adult you realize, I hope, that corporate America doesn't have some vengeance for the little man or something lame like that. You're using their network, their service and you're under their contract, so all the whining in the world makes no difference. I'll go stop a crack dealer, if you promise to go create your own mobile network so you can give away free tethering to all your customers.

Again, it's funny that people really think that VZW is just charging "for the hell of it!" Like all the bigwigs are in the conference room going "Larry, we're quadrillionaires, now its time to mislead and screw our customers muhahaha!"

The awesome thing is the only thing that you can do is make posts on these forums complaining about it, because you're completely insignificant to Verizon (as am I, and everyone else here)...
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  8. GDP
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Good. People that tether should have to pay for their internet service like the rest of us do. If you don't like the caps, get dsl or cable internet. No one is forcing you to use Verizon's network as your only source of internet.

Occasional tethering is fine, like in an emergency. But using 50 gigs a month is just slowing the network down for the rest of us.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    *Sigh* I miss Alltel. I could get truly unlimited mobile broadband with them for $59 a month, or add truly unlimited tethering to my phone for $20 a month.

I did finally break down and give up my Alltel plan on my phone about a week ago in order to try to improve my service, but I do still have my $59 unlimited mobile broadband.

You'd think these guys could take a hint. Alltel was an excellent provider with excellent pricing, and although they were not the biggest provider, they were growing quickly, and had the lowest debt ratio of any of the big guys, meaning they actually made lots of money.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    This thread is very close to being shut down. Please control the swearing and tempers in here. No more warnings.

As for the data usage, if you want to tether, then you can pay for it. VZW is not a non-profit organization, last I checked it was a for profit company. If you don't understand the difference between unlimited data from your device and tethering, then you need to do a Google search. If you can't afford the cost to tether if that's your main internet at home, then you probably need to go to a pay as you go plan and a cheap non-smartphone device.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Links